Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Jonesy83

So how many imports are left to sign & in what positions pal?
We've got 4 imports left to sign. Without knowing the exact line combinations and where players like Batch will end up, I'd say we need:

1 x first line right wing, 1 x fourth line centre, 1 x fourth line left wing & 1 x defenceman.

pjj365

By my calculations we have 7 to sign - 5 imports and 2 x under 23 Brits BUT Lordo could be bench coach and spare so gives us 6 imports. Not forgetting rules are about bench make up not total roster. In theory we can carry as many spares as we can afford

Not sure this is necessarily right and as to position given Lordo's comment on where Josh might play would have no comment on positions

ASHIPP

Is it:
1 winger with Martin/Bentivoglio

Patrick Asselin ( everything crossed!) with Ulmer/Haddad as last season

1 centre for 4th line if Morisette is playing or 1 centre AND winger if he isn't playing

1 defenceman (at least one Hotham Brother, let us pray)

2 x U23s

Lordo already stated he will be playing. Nothing confirmed about Morissette's role - have to presume he's playing.

Last edited:

bdevil

I think we'll definitely carry a spare and the spare will be Lord/mo; when one plays the other doesn't unless injury strikes.

That means 5 imports left to sign. Assuming one of the hothams and asselin are returning then that's 3 new faces.

Bazza

Question - Will Scott have to come back to finish his MBA until October anyway? I am sure Ulmer was going to have to do that so maybe Scottham is the same?

Temme

Fairly sure Asselin is nailed on for that 1st line spot.
I hope not.

Asselin wasn't on the top unit at all last year but was still absolute class.

Martin/Benti/Lord seemed to be our best first line, however with Lord saying he won't be playing first line for sure i feel we need someone on that line willing to be more 'direct' than Asselin.

Martin, Benti, Asselin are all first line players but the 3 of them together on one first line i'm not so sure, that is IF Asselin returns.

It's so easy to be an armchair coach.

I'm more intrigued about the last D spot available,

We can pretty much guarantee it's going to look like this:

XXXXX- Richardson
Fournier - Louis
XXXXX - Moore/Batch (one plays forward one plays D, yet to be decided)

Paris

The reason i have Paris off that list is i don't know if he fits in on the first or the third, i would hazard a strong guess though that he is our new top line D man, meaning we have a third line D left to sign.

This worries me as no matter who that third line D man is we are a weaker team than this year without A. Hotham, but this is all guess work :)

Last edited:
I hope not.

Asselin wasn't on the top unit at all last year but was still absolute class.

Martin/Benti/Lord seemed to be our best first line, however with Lord saying he won't be playing first line for sure i feel we need someone on that line willing to be more 'direct' than Asselin.

Martin, Benti, Asselin are all first line players but the 3 of them together on one first line i'm not so sure, that is IF Asselin returns.

It's so easy to be an armchair coach.

I'm more intrigued about the last D spot available,

We can pretty much guarantee it's going to look like this:

XXXXX- Richardson
Fournier - Louis
XXXXX - Moore/Batch (one plays forward one plays D, yet to be decided)

Paris

The reason i have Paris off that list is i don't know if he fits in on the first or the third, i would hazard a strong guess though that he is our new top line D man, meaning we have a third line D left to sign.

This worries me as no matter who that third line D man is we are a weaker team than this year without A. Hotham, but this is all guess work :)

Agree with that in the most part other than the bit about us being weaker without A Hotham. No doubting he is extremely good and in my opinion he is gone and Drew Paris is his replacement but I think we will be surprised at how good Paris will be. I dont think anybody expected Louis to be as mobile and attack minded as he actually was, Paris could well be the same

JC23

How about

Benti - Martin - Import
Haddad - Ulmer - Import
Faryna - Myers - Lord
Batch - Mo - Moore

Richie - Import
Louis - Fournier
Paris - Import
Personally I really like that set up you've got there.

Fingers crossed Asselin on the second line, and Hotham with Richie.

Leaves us with two new faces, and if we decide to go down that route, two new U23 players too.

I'd be happy with that myself.

Although, I wouldn't mind betting Mo and Lord will split the duties of that 3rd line right wing role depending on the team we're against and other factors, with a 4th line tough guy/hard hitting centre.

Temme

Why do some of you think A.Hotham will not be returning?
I personally think this because Paris on paper looks like a first line D man, realistically could we afford A Hotham on top of that?

Although the flip side is that Hotham is really an 'icing on the cake' kind of signing, so they may be leaving it until last.

ASHIPP

Drew is sponsored through the univesity MBA option.. Lordo mentioned working on a partnership with Matthew. The line up could look like this? :

Import-Martin-Bentivoglio
Haddad-Ulmer-Asselin
Lord-Myers-Faryna
Moore-Import- Morissette/Import

A Hotham - Richardson
Fournier-Louis
Batch-Paris

Bowns
Murdy

(2 x U23?)

The key to 3 or 4 player positions is dependent upon what the Hotham Brothers have decided. Everything crossed that they have BOTH chosen to give it another shot here next season. Traditionally the Hoth is one of the very last signing announcement every Summer. Feeling the collective nervousness!

zoesdevil

Personally I really like that set up you've got there.

Fingers crossed Asselin on the second line, and Hotham with Richie.

Leaves us with two new faces, and if we decide to go down that route, two new U23 players too.

I'd be happy with that myself.

Although, I wouldn't mind betting Mo and Lord will split the duties of that 3rd line right wing role depending on the team we're against and other factors, with a 4th line tough guy/hard hitting centre.
I'm going for..... (I may be well off, but I can hope).......

Martin-Bent-Import
Haddad-Ulmer-Asselin
Lord-Myers-Faryna
Rabbit-Import-Moore

Richie-A.Hotham
Louis-Fournier
Paris-Batch

Mo- Spare import/assistant coach

Last edited: