Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

pjj365

Storage space wouldn't come into it. The space the original article would have taken up would be insignificant.

It's common practice to update a news article as the story develops. The BBC regularly do this with "Wales squad to be announced" and then update the article to "Wales squad announced".
Fair enough
I have obviously spent too much time mired in the weeds of corporate accountability and audit trails as opposed to news streams (BTW that is not sarcasm or criticism - simply a fact)

bdevil

All the chat about needing to upgrade on Mo I don't understand.
When he got injured he was playing on the 1st line. I'd guess this year he'll either play on the 3rd or 4th. For arguments sake lets say he's on the 4th line. Is he an 'upgrade' on Piggott/Jones? Yes. That leaves us with a spot on the 1st line to be filled. So by re-signing Mo we've 'upgraded' 2 spots in the roster as opposed to signing someone as a replacement and just upgrading 1 spot.

Car crash comment because of the management of fan expectations. Logically this change of the format would be used to raise expectations, increase anticipation, excitement etc. Two good signings though, the other questionable, but time will tell on his fitness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazza272

Car crash comment because of the management of fan expectations. Logically this change of the format would be used to raise expectations, increase anticipation, excitement etc. Two good signings though, the other questionable, but time will tell on his fitness.

Yes it was used because we were announcing 3 very good players at once. I still can't see what's wrong with that?

If we had'nt have had the summit, each guy would have been announced week by week. The uniqueness of the announcement was that we got all 3 together. There's nothing wrong at all with hyping up that you have multiple announcements to make, and it is impossible to temper people's expectations, because each of them will be completely different, as seen on this thread.

Yes it was used because we were announcing 3 very good players at once. I still can't see what's wrong with that?

Opinion is subjective and not everyone agrees on all subjects. My expectation, I believe I'm not alone, having seen the announcement was that something/someone new, special was being announced, afterwards my opinion was, really, the PR wagon has crashed, it's happened again, the stampede has gone out of control. Which is all the more disappointing for the three guys to read on social media as they are not poor signings.

Paul Sullivan

Ha ha, just as well then that the mods - along with the vast majority of members - don't agree. Can't see what it would achieve, you'll be asking for photos next !
That was no time at all to poll over 2,300 users for opinions. Impressive :cool:

Or that it simply hasn't been implemented. From the good old days of forums (not Devils, in general), sound etiquette was often used on many boards I frequented. A great many hugely popular boards have real names. Besides, if one isn't regularly a Dick, one has nothing to fear from transparency, right?

Back to topic - it is impossible to manage a reaction from a varied group of people. We will all see things our own way. It is my humble opinion however that Jake would cruise into any of our 11 competitors and be very welcome.

James

Administrator
User anonymity is most definitely important. Its less of an issue when we have a benign leadership at the club but we have had club employees in the past attempting to ascertain who was behind usernames on the Inferno, I assume to persecute them in some manner or at least to hold grudges. Not really sure what they hoped to achieve tbh, members are very much entitled to their anonymity if they wish for it.

osh

That was no time at all to poll over 2,300 users for opinions. Impressive :cool:

Or that it simply hasn't been implemented. From the good old days of forums (not Devils, in general), sound etiquette was often used on many boards I frequented. A great many hugely popular boards have real names. Besides, if one isn't regularly a Dick, one has nothing to fear from transparency, right?

Back to topic - it is impossible to manage a reaction from a varied group of people. We will all see things our own way. It is my humble opinion however that Jake would cruise into any of our 11 competitors and be very welcome.
Normally I have a lot of time for you Paul, however, not one of your smarter replies, bordering on smart arse I'd say. its quite plain to see that the vast majority of members do not use their Christian and Surnames, why I wonder ? If it was mandatory for members to use their given names, perhaps we wouldn't have over 2300 members, who knows ? Not sure who you are referring to when you say " if one isn't regularly a Dick etc" do you have anyone in mind ? I have absolutely nothing to fear from transparency but choose to use osh as my user name. Back on topic, I agree with your humble opinion, Jake would indeed gain a place in any of the other 11 teams in our league, on what line, with which team, who knows, but can't see him making a 1st line anywhere in my opinion.

Paul Sullivan

Normally I have a lot of time for you Paul, however, not one of your smarter replies, bordering on smart arse I'd say. its quite plain to see that the vast majority of members do not use their Christian and Surnames, why I wonder ? If it was mandatory for members to use their given names, perhaps we wouldn't have over 2300 members, who knows ? Not sure who you are referring to when you say " if one isn't regularly a Dick etc" do you have anyone in mind ? I have absolutely nothing to fear from transparency but choose to use osh as my user name. Back on topic, I agree with your humble opinion, Jake would indeed gain a place in any of the other 11 teams in our league, on what line, with which team, who knows, but can't see him making a 1st line anywhere in my opinion.
Perhaps that's because you are prompted for a username, not 'your name' - it's not an agreement or disagreement - but that's just semantics and I've made my opinion known.
No, I don't have anyone in particular in mind. But I think the dicks, and the non-dicks, can usually work out when they show up. As per any forum, in my experience.
I personally always think it's a little odd to choose anonymity when stating opinions on a public forum. I just happen to think that folks should be wiling to fully own what they say.

Back on topic again - I meant to say I would really love us to play Josh up front if that's a role he would welcome. We'd be bloody horrific to play against for D-men (bad enough already) - Lord, Haddad, Faryna, Myers, Batch.... *shudder* We all know he's got the hands for it, and I love that it seems to be being considered. And what a great cover for D if needed - Culli is very hard to replace but that would be a great option for us to have.

JC23

Perhaps that's because you are prompted for a username, not 'your name' - it's not an agreement or disagreement - but that's just semantics and I've made my opinion known.
No, I don't have anyone in particular in mind. But I think the dicks, and the non-dicks, can usually work out when they show up. As per any forum, in my experience.
I personally always think it's a little odd to choose anonymity when stating opinions on a public forum. I just happen to think that folks should be wiling to fully own what they say.

Back on topic again - I meant to say I would really love us to play Josh up front if that's a role he would welcome. We'd be bloody horrific to play against for D-men (bad enough already) - Lord, Haddad, Faryna, Myers, Batch.... *shudder* We all know he's got the hands for it, and I love that it seems to be being considered. And what a great cover for D if needed - Culli is very hard to replace but that would be a great option for us to have.
On the topic of D-cover if needed, we have TWO guys signed up who can play both forward and defence, and they're both Brits. That's a pretty damn good place to be in my book.

Happy with that.