Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Paul Sullivan

I must have missed the 'Hype'.

I never saw any tweets or posts about who we had signed, that the fans would lose their minds about the identity of the signings - none of that horrible Orange-tinted rubbish we see so often. I saw several tweets and posts about the method of the announcement, but no hype whatsoever about the players themselves. Apologies if I missed someone hinting at a future Hall of Famer joining us though :D

If the Club had done a guerrilla-style, unannounced live stream, I'm pretty sure we'd have heard moans that it wasn't announced enough in advance...

Three Champions just returned. Our Captain and arguably the best 1-on-1 player in the League, the best backup in the EIHL and a guy that was utterly robbed of a GB callup earlier this year. Who can play up front or on D. And is nails. Each to their own on their thinking here of course but I think the Club did something different, it (kinda) worked perfectly, and we have three players that I think most Devils fans would want back. We've had worse days at the office, for me.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

In Feb 2017 Mo was recovering from an ankle injury and then threw himself in front of the puck which then put him out for a lot longer. In 2014-2015 season he was only 6 points behind Joey Martin.

Yes he dipped a bit the next year but still scored 44 points compared with Joey Haddads 29, Salters 32 or Doucets 36.

When Mo was in full health he was always up there in the scoring charts so I think people are being a bit harsh when they say he is only coming back because of his friendship with Lordo.

Welcome back Mo

Finny

Finny on his white steed to the rescue ...c'mon Samael, what else would you expect from someone who is trying not to be 'rude' and subsequently tells us what we need in our lives, especially in the off season. I was disappointed with last nights announcement after much hype, but others are satisfied, so be it.
"much hype"? What hype?
Unless I missed it there wasn't a week of building up the announcements. It wasn't called "Sensational Saturday".
There was confirmation late on Friday that there would be no signing that day and then asking fans if they'd like it live streamed. Then confirmation that it would be happening the following day.
Saturday afternoon there was a post confirming the time, and then a couple clarifying the time. That's not hype, that's keeping fans updated. If I hadn't been messaged about it I'd have never known it was going ahead and probably a bit miffed that I had missed it.

The only hype was on here by fans getting over-excited. Heck - I think the article only mentioned two signings but we ended up getting three!

It's almost as if people are looking for things to complain about. Ignoring the one poster who is clearly trolling.

osh

"much hype"? What hype?
Unless I missed it there wasn't a week of building up the announcements. It wasn't called "Sensational Saturday".
There was confirmation late on Friday that there would be no signing that day and then asking fans if they'd like it live streamed. Then confirmation that it would be happening the following day.
Saturday afternoon there was a post confirming the time, and then a couple clarifying the time. That's not hype, that's keeping fans updated. If I hadn't been messaged about it I'd have never known it was going ahead and probably a bit miffed that I had missed it.

The only hype was on here by fans getting over-excited. Heck - I think the article only mentioned two signings but we ended up getting three!

It's almost as if people are looking for things to complain about. Ignoring the one poster who is clearly trolling.
Quite right, updated hype.

Samael

@ Paul Sullivan & Finny. If you missed the hype then I suggest you both go to Specsavers. I notice the original news article promoting the Calgary summit has since been removed off the Devils website, the one promoting the weekend and yes hyping it, wonder why but that really is a whatever.
I'm not saying I was expecting them to announce someone who played in the Stanley cup finals in the last 5 years but a fuss WAS made about the new signings by the Devils PR team and I dont think the announcement "live from Calgary" of returning players warranted it.

Bunch of rose tinted happy clappers on here....

Devil94

Whether you thought there was hype or not (which is a ridiculous discussion in itself), don't you think that a championship winning captain, a backup that won us the league and a very good British player deserves a bit of hype? Three very important signings announced in one go?

Good grief.

Finny

@ Paul Sullivan & Finny. If you missed the hype then I suggest you both go to Specsavers. I notice the original news article promoting the Calgary summit has since been removed off the Devils website, the one promoting the weekend and yes hyping it, wonder why but that really is a whatever.
I'm not saying I was expecting them to announce someone who played in the Stanley cup finals in the last 5 years but a fuss WAS made about the new signings by the Devils PR team and I dont think the announcement "live from Calgary" of returning players warranted it.

Bunch of rose tinted happy clappers on here....
My eyesight is fine thanks. Good enough to see the original article hasn't been deleted, simply updated as is standard web maintenance policy.
There was no fuss, other than on here. People who didn't get themselves worked up about it being amazing signings were happy with the feeds.

Rose-tinted happy clappers? Ha!
No. Just a large number of realists who are very happy with the position the club is currently in and are fed up of a very small minority who are looking for negatives when there needn't be any.
It's funny how those who like to criticise the club (whilst hiding behind usernames) are the first to sulk when people criticise them.

I don't know about hype, but having got a Facebook notification after the announcement (due to no internet access) of a live announcement from the Calgary owner group at their "Summit". l was left a bit bemused at the style to which the announcement took for the three signings. There does seem to be a regular PR version of a car crash regarding new forms of team notification by the Devils and the ownership. It's a different yr, but similar mistakes and subsequent Twitter etc etc comments. Nobody got fired for Mega Monday, I'm assuming until that person ceases PR responsibility these situations will continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

osh

Finny, there are 2318 forum members apparently, I would suggest that the vast majority 'hide behind usernames' irrespective if they praise or criticise matters relating to the Devils. Would you prefer it that all posters state their full identities ? It's also funny how you in particular 'sulk' in your own way when others have something to say that you don't agree with.
As for the 3 signings, very happy with Batch and Murdy and slightly concerned with Mo's situation to be honest. No one is doubting his previous form, ability and his presence within the changing room, however, I think others like myself are worried as to how he comes back after such a long lay off with a serious injury. If he regains the form he has shown at his best, I will be completely happy.

pjj365

Interesting web maintenance to re-write an article Removing it for storage space reasons I can understand but not this form of maintenance when there was really no need

bb1

In fairness to Mo he never loses us any games and has won us quite a lot during his time here as a Devil.

However the bad injury he had only leaves speculation as to how he will perform in the coming season which I believe will be an incredibly competitive and tough season.
Mo is obviously a ridiculously hard working guy both on and off the ice and very much liked by everybody. However.......as the league continues to improve in standard year on year then I feel after this injury he will struggle.
Prior to his injury Mo I felt did struggle in many games like Doucette did......but not through lack of effort though.

D men like Fitzy, Walser, Cescon etc.... seemed to have their way with many of the smaller less physical guys. With respect imagine a battle down the boards with a mobile guy like Louis! With these types of D men in league now guys like Mo will have a tough time and be far less effective.

I feel he deserves a shot as an import and possibly Lords right hand man but I really think we can and need to upgrade to improve on last season.

Samael

My eyesight is fine thanks. Good enough to see the original article hasn't been deleted, simply updated as is standard web maintenance policy.
There was no fuss, other than on here. People who didn't get themselves worked up about it being amazing signings were happy with the feeds.

Rose-tinted happy clappers? Ha!
No. Just a large number of realists who are very happy with the position the club is currently in and are fed up of a very small minority who are looking for negatives when there needn't be any.
It's funny how those who like to criticise the club (whilst hiding behind usernames) are the first to sulk when people criticise them.
<Deleted by the mods because I think the one and only forum rule doesn't apply to me>

Last edited by a moderator:

Finny

Interesting web maintenance to re-write an article Removing it for storage space reasons I can understand but not this form of maintenance when there was really no need
Storage space wouldn't come into it. The space the original article would have taken up would be insignificant.

It's common practice to update a news article as the story develops. The BBC regularly do this with "Wales squad to be announced" and then update the article to "Wales squad announced".

ASHIPP

No matter how hardworking a player is in the gym or in on-ice training sessions, it does not always indicate they are match fit or anywhere near ready to take on the speed and aggression of the CHL games or a punishing domestic schedule. And those games will be coming up fast after the pre-season.

Many clubs think twice about taking on a new player recovering from surgery who hasn't played much if any hockey since February. Don't see anything wrong with fans having the same legitimate concerns and questions about the fitness of a current player.

It's a gamble because Morisette's ability to cope with competitive, full-on games is unknown at the moment. If he returns to form, then happy days. If he struggles it will be interesting to see how that is managed.

Gazza272

I don't know about hype, but having got a Facebook notification after the announcement (due to no internet access) of a live announcement from the Calgary owner group at their "Summit". l was left a bit bemused at the style to which the announcement took for the three signings. There does seem to be a regular PR version of a car crash regarding new forms of team notification by the Devils and the ownership. It's a different yr, but similar mistakes and subsequent Twitter etc etc comments. Nobody got fired for Mega Monday, I'm assuming until that person ceases PR responsibility these situations will continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Car Crash! :D

Todd went a bit too far from the wifi initially so it was a bit jittery, it can happen. rectified quickly and all was stable.

They promised us signings and we got signings, three champions no less! 3 players that EVERY EIHL team would happily have signed. Remember when guys like this used to be signed by our rivals routinely? Well I do, so a little lag on a facebook live announcement isn't going to dampen my mood one little bit i'm afraid.

I think we should all take a leaf out of the ownership groups book and try and have some fun. Because i saw a group of guys taking time to ensure our club is in safe hands and we are getting better by having that summit, they did so with smiles on their faces and enthusiasm in their voice.

Would we all have loved an Ex NHL'er to have been signed? of course we would have. Am I just as happy my club is in such a stable condition 80% of a championship want to come back to it? yes, with bells on.