Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

RedDevil17

Kind of disappointed with the signings announced considering they made a big fuss. Morissette just isn't good enough and we need better upgrades so unless he's behind the bench or as a spare then he's not really going to be top line material. I imagine he'll be a 3rd liner as well as him suffering an injury so that doesn't help him at all. Should announce Rabbit if he's joined because we do need more fresh faces. We need the Hothams and Asselin back ASAP. Batch wasn't as physical as last year but he's a brit so that helps. Glad Mad dog is back. A reliable back up nettie who can do a great job when called upon. Considering how hyped we all were then it's kind of a disappointment.

jenks33

Pleased with those signings. There will be question marks over Morissette but I think he deserves another shot after last seasons frustration. He's got such a good attitude I can see us being pleased he returned come October/November time. He's a good player to have on the 3rd/4th line, great work ethic

Wannabe2

Quite disappointed to wait all this time one minute it's 8pm then it's 9 pm, then nothing too excited announced. Glad Batchy is back, no disrespect to Mo but if he is a spare then fine, if not then not over the moon.

august04

Very happy with Murdy returning and Batch was a must for me too. I'm not sure about Morrissette though. With the league getting better, I think we could/should have upgraded there but he's served the Devils well over the years and probably deserves another crack at it after the injury problems of last year. Personally I would have signed him to run the bench/assist Lord and as the spare import to provide injury cover. I hope it's not one too many seasons though but we'll soon find out I guess. Hope he proves me wrong.

zoesdevil

Very happy with Murdy returning and Batch was a must for me too. I'm not sure about Morrissette though. With the league getting better, I think we could/should have upgraded there but he's served the Devils well over the years and probably deserves another crack at it after the injury problems of last year. Personally I would have signed him to run the bench/assist Lord and as the spare import to provide injury cover. I hope it's not one too many seasons though but we'll soon find out I guess. Hope he proves me wrong.
Surely we could of announced these yesterday??

ASHIPP

Great to see Thomas and Josh back to complete our British contingent (bar the announcement of a couple of U23s?). They hopefully will both get more opportunity next season in terms of ice-time to enhance their development.

The Club obviously feels Morissette still has a role to play and they are the professionals to make those decisions. Don'tt think he's played much if any hockey since his surgery so it is going to be interesting to see how he manages the speed and aggression of CHL games (first few are up in August/Sept) and a punishing domestic schedule.

Of course, Mo may be fulfilling an assistant coaching / spare import role that hasn't been announced yet. He was certainly a big help on the bench during his injury.

august04

Surely we could of announced these yesterday??
You'd have thought so! I'm not sure why the big build up and live coverage from Calgary and then announce 3 returnees who probably signed up weeks ago! I was hoping for more of a "state of the nation" type update on all things Devils from the ownership group, which might have been more interesting.

All three are great signings in there own right. Some people on here really are not quite with it. It's the Elite League not the NHL/ AHL. Name me one club who would not be happy with either one of these signings. Quite pathetic really.

Knowing that Steve King reads the message boards, I'm sure the management group will be disappointed to see how negative the Calagary bulletin was received. As TK is the most receptive MD, and in the spirit of 'feedback is a force for good' here goes:
  1. this was a missed opportunity for a "state of the nation" as august04 stated, and given that the Devils community have so much respect for the manangement input and hangs on their every word.
  2. Even that estate agent in sheffield has mastered periscope. If you are going to use new medium, make sure you know what you are doing with it and use it well. Poor use needlessly undermines the value of the message.
  3. The three lads were all wanted back. They are champions. The handling of this announcement compared to others made them seem less so. The announcement of their return deserved better.
  4. Mo. Mo is our captain. Mo suffered a really bad injury. Mo worked hard off the ice to return and worked hard to support those on the ice. That's leadership. Why so many on these boards have written him off I'm puzzled. I'm really pleased to see a fired up, determined leader return. It bodes well.
  5. Management of expectations: we are told to expect developments in the north american market before further signings only to be told of Batch, Mad Dog & Mo. There other notable champions from last year who have not yet been re-signed. I love a bit of new season drama the same as the next man, but this creates endless, sorry speculation about notable champions from last year. I am sure our expectations could be managed better.

Ocko

I'm pleased with our signings tonight.

Batch would walk into any team in the league, as would Murdy as a back up.

I also don't understand the clouds surrounding the Morisette signing. I very, very much doubt he has been brought back to play in the top 6. I'd even hazard a guess he is back to take up a slot on the 4th line. If he is, it will almost be a swap for Brine, which IMO would give us a better scoring depth on that line than last year. Brine was a great defensive player but he has zero offence. In Jake we have that same great defensive game with superb shot blocking but also a much better offensive upside.