2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

bdevil

Great signing.
Now the craziness starts as we all wonder "which defenceman isn't returning???"
I was thinking that as I read "believes he can be a major factor on the powerplay", considering Fournier has already re-signed may last year have been A Hotham's final year? Or, may we have 3 (4 if we consider the amount of PP time Richie had last year) defenseman for the powerplay?

JC23

I've got a feeling we won't see Scott Hotham back in Cardiff, and therefore maybe won't see Andrew either.

I would love Mark Louis back in a Devils jersey without a doubt.

D pairings;-
Richie Paris
Fournier Louis
Batch ???

What do you guys all think?

ASHIPP

Great signing.
Now the craziness starts as we all wonder "which defenceman isn't returning???"
Have you thought about another scenario.....that no-one is leaving? Could be that one of our existing defencemen is changing to a forward position?
Let the speculation begin!

Welcome to Cardiff, Drew.
A great signing - a huge guy with pp skills, hardworking and a great team player.

kettdevil1

I've got a feeling we won't see Scott Hotham back in Cardiff, and therefore maybe won't see Andrew either.

I would love Mark Louis back in a Devils jersey without a doubt.

D pairings;-
Richie Paris
Fournier Louis
Batch ???

What do you guys all think?
There has been talk of Batch (presuming he re-signs) moving forward but if not this sounds reasonable. Still not totally convinced Louis will be back (although hope he is) and I still think we will have at least one Hoth on the team.

Ocko

Have you thought about another scenario.....that no-one is leaving? Could be that one of our existing defencemen is changing to a forward position?

Welcome to Cardiff, Drew.
A great signing - a huge guy with pp skills, hardworking and a great team player.
But that would mean that both Batch and Moore, both usually D men, would now be forwards. That would be too bold to call I think, especially as we are expecting a tough guy of sorts so it wouldn't be the most experienced 4th line I would've imagined. One of them, maybe but not both.

Seems an almost like for like swap for Scott Hotham IMO.

bdevil

I think it will be one of the following:

Richie & A Hoth
Louis & Fournier
Batch & Paris

S Hotham to retire or move on

OR

Richie & A Hoth
Louis & Fournier
S Hotham & Paris

Batch to play forward

Ocko

I hope m Louis returns!!
And not Andrew hotham.

Hotham gives away to many sloppy passes
And although he scores a lot its also his fault we conceded too.
You wouldn't want the league MVP and the top points scorer from a championship winning team, who also logs over 30 minutes a game, plays PK and PP and had the joint most fights on the team, to return over a goals conceded stat that you don't actually have access to... right... sounds logical.

Finny

Quite possibly. Batch was benched a couple of times towards the end of the season so perhaps we will go with 5 import Dmen.
Also, with Cully retiring we've lost his ability to drop back onto D due to injuries or suspensions. Signing 5 import D along with Moore and hopefully Batch means we would effectively have two spare defencemen who are also icing regularly as forwards.

ASHIPP

I think it will be one of the following:

Richie & A Hoth
Louis & Fournier
Batch & Paris

S Hotham to retire or move on

OR

Richie & A Hoth
Louis & Fournier
S Hotham & Paris

Batch to play forward
Spot on thinking. Josh started his career as a forward. He would provide size and toughness on that 4th forward line.

Craig played in a forward position in earlier teams. For anyone to suggest they are defencemen that won't adapt is rubbish. Josh and Craig have played both positions. Seem to recall Richie started his career as a forward and made the switch.....and he didn't do too badly!

Devil94

Yes someone did, can't remember who (sorry), Think it was on the Culligan thread.

I knew it would be a play on words from Steve, but I wasn't clever enough to work it out...