2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

bdevil

We've spoken a lot about needing 'upgrades' in certain areas and how players are the type of player that we can look to upgrade on.

We've learnt this morning David Brine is moving home and I've already seen someone say that Liam Stewart could be his replacement. Nothing against Stewart, I think he's a good player, but is he really an upgrade on Brine? Brine was the best player in the league last year for the role he played so if we were to upgrade we'd need to look outside the EIHL surely

ASHIPP

We've spoken a lot about needing 'upgrades' in certain areas and how players are the type of player that we can look to upgrade on.

We've learnt this morning David Brine is moving home and I've already seen someone say that Liam Stewart could be his replacement. Nothing against Stewart, I think he's a good player, but is he really an upgrade on Brine? Brine was the best player in the league last year for the role he played so if we were to upgrade we'd need to look outside the EIHL surely

One point, here - this is all speculation and conjecture. How do we even know Liam is joining the Devils? If he is, how do we know that the Devils are considering him as a replacement for David Brine? The style of those two players is completely different - we have no idea which new players will be joining (all rumours).......or who they will be partnered with/lines they will be playing on, for that matter. Don't press the panic button just yet!;)

bdevil

I completely agree, it's all speculation, but I just based my post on something I read on here earlier.

Also agree with your point of them being different players but IF e end up signing Liam Stewart e have Martin as centre for 1st line and Myers for 3rd line. Can't see Stewart fitting on 2nd line so he would be on 4th, where Brine was.

Mainly just curious on people's thoughts as to whether an upgrade for Brine could possibly come from within the league...

ASHIPP

I completely agree, it's all speculation, but I just based my post on something I read on here earlier.

Also agree with your point of them being different players but IF e end up signing Liam Stewart e have Martin as centre for 1st line and Myers for 3rd line. Can't see Stewart fitting on 2nd line so he would be on 4th, where Brine was.

Mainly just curious on people's thoughts as to whether an upgrade for Brine could possibly come from within the league...
Liam is primarily a defensive, speedy, grinding winger with secondary scoring ability, good on the PK - on the Devils he might be on the 4th or even the 3rd line. Have no doubt that whoever undertakes centre duties will do a great job.

voth26

How do you know Brine is going home??

Massive, and 122 NHL games under his belt. Wouldn't be a bad signing at all...
Just curious why this would be a good signing ? Because he's big ? Can fight ? Or the fact that the scouting report say's he lacks co ordination and more importantly he " has no hockey sense " ? If those reports are correct and i'm not saying they are, why would you want a defenseman like that. 4th line forward is one thing but a dman. Thanks but no thanks

JC23

Just curious why this would be a good signing ? Because he's big ? Can fight ? Or the fact that the scouting report say's he lacks co ordination and more importantly he " has no hockey sense " ? If those reports are correct and i'm not saying they are, why would you want a defenseman like that. 4th line forward is one thing but a dman. Thanks but no thanks
Well, as it points out, he's big, he's a stay at home no nonsense defenceman, and he can fight.

Not only that, but he has loads of experience in leagues arguably a lot better than ours, with experience of wearing a letter on his chest, and he seems to put up some decent points considering his position and he has "no coordination or hockey sense". I think sometimes you have to think about the fact that the write ups on Elite Prospects don't always come from actual scout reports, sometimes just fans who think they know a thing or two.

Well, as it points out, he's big, he's a stay at home no nonsense defenceman, and he can fight.

Not only that, but he has loads of experience in leagues arguably a lot better than ours, with experience of wearing a letter on his chest, and he seems to put up some decent points considering his position and he has "no coordination or hockey sense". I think sometimes you have to think about the fact that the write ups on Elite Prospects don't always come from actual scout reports, sometimes just fans who think they know a thing or two.
So can he make a good first pass out of the zone ? Is he mobile ? Can he play some minutes on special teams ? Does he read the play ? Does he have average to above average hockey sense ? If the answer is yes to these questions and with obvious physical attributes then sign him up . Letters mean nothing. Experience does and he clearly has that but it comes down to want and affordability on both sides .All these players have had a letter at some point in their careers and most players don't care whether they have one or not. This team is a perfect example of that and with this team there are 18-20 leaders.

JC23

So can he make a good first pass out of the zone ? Is he mobile ? Can he play some minutes on special teams ? Does he read the play ? Does he have average to above average hockey sense ? If the answer is yes to these questions and with obvious physical attributes then sign him up.
Sorry coach (yes, that is a reference to previous claims of yours) I forgot that you take these rumours rather seriously, and like to evaluate every single aspect of a player rather than just taking things on face value and giving a normal fan perspective.

For me, I don't think you can play 122 NHL games in your career without having something to offer to any team. For me, this guy would be a no brainer. He has more experience, size, and fighting chops than a guy most Devils fans (myself included) adored on the team last year in Mark Louis. He surprised the hell out of a lot of us with his skating and his offensive prowess. Who says this guy isn't just as much of a diamond that we'd all love over the course of a season? Oh that's right, someone who was allowed to do a write up on Elite Prospects who was judging him on his play in leagues much higher than ours.

Sorry coach (yes, that is a reference to previous claims of yours) I forgot that you take these rumours rather seriously, and like to evaluate every single aspect of a player rather than just taking things on face value and giving a normal fan perspective.

For me, I don't think you can play 122 NHL games in your career without having something to offer to any team. For me, this guy would be a no brainer. He has more experience, size, and fighting chops than a guy most Devils fans (myself included) adored on the team last year in Mark Louis. He surprised the hell out of a lot of us with his skating and his offensive prowess. Who says this guy isn't just as much of a diamond that we'd all love over the course of a season? Oh that's right, someone who was allowed to do a write up on Elite Prospects who was judging him on his play in leagues much higher than ours.
Here's the point that I was trying to make and you obviously didn't get it, someone posts a player from Elite prospects and knows nothing about him other than a stat sheet , never seen him play and say's that he'd be a good signing, including you and my question is/was, why would he be a good signing based on the obvious lack of information ? You're right on Mark Louis, he is a tough player and skates very well for a big man but offensive prowess ? No disrespect to Mark but that is not the reason why he was signed. He played a vital role in the Devils success this past year but any offensive output from him was and is a bonus. He should have been given more minutes last year, as well as S.Hotham to take some of the pressure off of Ritchie, Fournier and A.Hotham But i'm sure you knew that from your expansive hockey background

ASHIPP

Hey Guys, please don't descend into a slanging match. Let's just feel reassured that the Guys in the best position to make judgements on who's a good fit for the team, havn't done too bad a job so far ;-).....and will probably discover another gem or two next season.

JC23

Here's the point that I was trying to make and you obviously didn't get it, someone posts a player from Elite prospects and knows nothing about him other than a stat sheet , never seen him play and say's that he'd be a good signing, including you and my question is/was, why would he be a good signing based on the obvious lack of information ? You're right on Mark Louis, he is a tough player and skates very well for a big man but offensive prowess ? No disrespect to Mark but that is not the reason why he was signed. He played a vital role in the Devils success this past year but any offensive output from him was and is a bonus. He should have been given more minutes last year, as well as S.Hotham to take some of the pressure off of Ritchie, Fournier and A.Hotham But i'm sure you knew that from your expansive hockey background
You have your opinion, I have mine.

No harm done. :)

As for expansive hockey knowledge, never claimed that my friend. Just a former NIHL 2 plug who's played a few games and watched a lot of players come and go is all.

Just a fan, like everyone else.

Have a good evening.

Jonesy83

Don't really see how IF the Devils signed a player like Matt Smaby it could be a bad thing. The guys played 122 NHL games and spent the last 5 seasons playing in the DEL with decent +/- numbers. He's an absolute giant of a man who I'm sure would have no problem clearing out opposition players from in front of the net. A big stay at home D men to compliment the like of our forward minded D men like A. Hotham & Fournier. The fact that he could drop the gloves and sort out players like Fitzy etc would be a bonus.

The guy was a 2nd round draft pick and has great experience in leagues much higher than the EIHL...the fact someone wrote "Doesn't contribute much offensively. Lacks coordination and hockey sense" I wouldn't pay to much attention to personally.

And TBH I only post guys like Matt Smaby (and the others that I've post previous) in this thread in the hope of drumming up a bit of debate / discussion as this off season has been a bit on the boring side as far as The Devils have been concerned IMO, as it's called the Rumours & Offseason nonsense thread.

I'm sure Lord & TK will deliver another strong team for the up coming season.

Don't really see how IF the Devils signed a player like Matt Smaby it could be a bad thing. The guys played 122 NHL games and spent the last 5 seasons playing in the DEL with decent +/- numbers. He's an absolute giant of a man who I'm sure would have no problem clearing out opposition players from in front of the net. A big stay at home D men to compliment the like of our forward minded D men like A. Hotham & Fournier. The fact that he could drop the gloves and sort out players like Fitzy etc would be a bonus.

The guy was a 2nd round draft pick and has great experience in leagues much higher than the EIHL...the fact someone wrote "Doesn't contribute much offensively. Lacks coordination and hockey sense" I wouldn't pay to much attention to personally.

And TBH I only post guys like Matt Smaby (and the others that I've post previous) in this thread in the hope of drumming up a bit of debate / discussion as this off season has been a bit on the boring side as far as The Devils have been concerned IMO, as it's called the Rumours & Offseason nonsense thread.

I'm sure Lord & TK will deliver another strong team for the up coming season.
Smaby has played a similar amount of NHL games as Bordeleau who only made the NHL for 1 reason and that was to fight, Smaby isnt a goon. Therefore he must a bit more about his game other than fighting. Also he has played DEL for several seasons in a row which is a higher standard than the EIHL. He may not be a great NHL level player but thats why he isnt playing NHL. I doubt many of last years team could play DEL like Smaby did. In my opinion Smaby could be a great player for us and as you rightly said, it prompts a good debate

Temme

Just regarding Smaby and his elite prospects:
@Outsider just remember those write-up's are made against NHL standards, not EIHL Beer league.

In fact, it is fairly safe to assume that if a player has a write-up from the last 5 years they will be an exceptional player in our league regardless.

Jonesy83

For the people who like to read in to things based on Twitter followings / followers...Wacey Rabbit has just started following Braehead Clan & Gareth Chalmers.