Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Good signing for MK. That was obviously the other Devils player leaving with Douc that Simmsey called a few weeks ago. Hopefully no others to rival EIHL teams.
Bit of a strange one that, when we signed Denny Kearney I remember Andrew Lord saying it was a player he had tracked for a few seasons so obviously Andrew Lord was keen on him then he scratched him for the last few games and didnt re-sign him. He didnt look a bad player in what we saw of him so my guess is that he wasnt as good as anticipated or the club have a better quality but similar style player lined up

Wannabe2

In fairness to Kearney he wasn't here very long but I would hope and expect a upgrade on him. Not a bad player but not one for a Championship seeking team.

Finny

I remember one season pre-current management where we announced all our players early, and this forum was then full of people moaning about nothing to look forward to.

I don't understand the criticism of the way the club are announcing news. All we'd get is people asking for a signing announcement on a Tuesday and then being disappointed when there wasn't one.

In terms of signing announcements this summer is likely to be an 'unexciting one'. We're expecting most of the players to re-sign with only 2-3 new signings. Drip feeding re-signings once a week keeps the club in the news over the summer.

I'd also be a bit surprised if we have all our new signings done as some have suggested. If you assume we've got the core of our team re-signed then I'd have thought we might take some time to evaluate who is becoming available. Especially as the N American leagues have only just finished their season.

Finny

In fairness to Kearney he wasn't here very long but I would hope and expect a upgrade on him. Not a bad player but not one for a Championship seeking team.
I'd agree with that. When Lord was initially looking at him we would still have been in the Tent and looking to be a team punching above our weight.
Kearney seemed to be very good at getting under the oppositions skin having only been hear a short time, and I can't imagine we'll look forward to facing him.
But I agree with Wannabe that as a club we are now in a different place and would be looking at someone of a higher calibre.

ASHIPP

Best of luck to Denny - MKL have again signed a player who will provide plenty of speed, energy and points for them. A player who proved he could produce in those big games - like the CC Final.

As far as recruitment for the Devils this season goes, they have already confirmed that the core of players will be returning - many of whom have been with the team since season one and provide the backbone of stability.It's simply a matter of adding very strong players to lock down certain roles vacated by departures. Part of Lordo's headache is fitting in everyone into certain roles as illustrated by the Doucet departure. The PR story confirmed that the chemistry/consistency on the top two scoring lines virtually meant that there would be no slot on those lines for Doucet this coming season (by implication, most of last year's first and second line players will be back). Doucet and Kearney will be top line players on a different team.

I also would be surprised if all our new faces have already been confirmed. Many players out there will not want to commit anywhere yet - and who knows, the Club might still have a few targets in North America they want to negotiate with.

Sometimes player "performance" is down to how best a coach can utilise that player/s within the team. MK have signed a player who, if used correctly will make a great contribution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazza272

Sometimes player "performance" is down to how best a coach can utilise that player/s within the team. MK have signed a player who, if used correctly will make a great contribution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it sure can be, but not in this instance.

in Kearney's case he got injured at the worst time. he was chosen to be in the CC final line up, so was very much in favour, that knock at the end of the year just cost him his place.

good pick up for MK though.

Devil94

Congratulations to him and his wife, a good contract for him to pick up.

Will be at least 3 new faces, hoping for a Hervato type player to play Brine's role. Liam Stewart might be in the frame perhaps.

ASHIPP

David Brine will certainly be missed. A fantastically experienced shut-down forward, excellent on the face-off and PK. Wishing him the best of luck at Zagreb - he's played for them before and it could almost call it his 'home' team! Am sure I read he and his wife live there in the Summer and he has family there?

Sad to see Brine leave, I thought he was one of our most underrated players last season in what he brought to the team away from the flashy stuff. Wish him all the best back in Zagreb.

SteveKing

Agree with everyone's take on David. A true gentleman and a great team guy. I think that because of the fact that he had played a few NHL games, he felt that he was being misused by European teams who were expecting more offense. He wanted to come to Cardiff and show himself as a true shut down centreman on a championship team. He accomplished both of those goals. Him and his wife absolutely love Croatia and it truly has become their home. I'm thrilled that they've found a great opportunity there.

Looks to be a great pick up! Great clue spotting on whoever called this a few weeks ago. Welcome to Cardiff, Drew. Looking forward to seeing those one timers!