Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

ASHIPP

The best way to appreciate how important Matthew Myers is to our Club, is to imagine the team WITHOUT the energy, expertise and experience he brings. They would certainly be weaker in the forward lines. And he is still incredibly competitive and always wants to win ...he brings that to every shift he is on the ice.

He's had a fantastic career domestically and at international level. He's played in North America and in European competitions. Remember the years we spent resenting the Panthers for having him on their roster? ThankGod he's on our team now , helping our Club to win things.

Along with Joey Haddad, Matthew surely is a real candidate for Captaincy next season. Really great to see him back..

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #167
Don't really understand how people can be annoyed at such a small thing. It will be the same roster come August in whatever way they are announced.

Really pleased Myers is back, as key a re-signing as we could have made.
I don't know about the other posters, but it's certainly not annoyance from me.

It definitely is a lack of excitement though, but I don't think it's particularly anyones fault. There's something more exciting about new players coming in.

The Moore signing brought some excitement with it, unknown quality and all that despite the fact we saw him more than a few times last season. The players we've re-signed are all genuinely good, there's no doubt about that.

It's just that a re-signing each week isn't particularly making me excited for next season when I was hoping to get to some games in Guildford and Milton Keynes to cheer the team on, i'll still e turning up and i'm sure it will change once we do start announcing new players. But at the moment i'm pretty lethagic about the coming season.

Wagstaff

As others have said, no doubt it's a great signing...

But the drip drip of re-signed players isn't making me excited at all for next season. I don't know if it's because I sort of expect these re-signings to be made now or what, but yeah...

I'll see if I can find the willpower to update the rosters over the weekend. :(
Maybe they will do a big big campaign and call it MEGA MONDAY !

Ocko

The best way to appreciate how important Matthew Myers is to our Club, is to imagine the team WITHOUT the energy, expertise and experience he brings.
A very good point. And the fact that since the new ownership the teams with Myers in have won major silverware, the team without won nothing.

matbur

The best way to appreciate how important Matthew Myers is to our Club, is to imagine the team WITHOUT the energy, expertise and experience he brings. They would certainly be weaker in the forward lines. And he is still incredibly competitive and always wants to win ...he brings that to every shift he is on the ice.

He's had a fantastic career domestically and at international level. He's played in North America and in European competitions. Remember the years we spent resenting the Panthers for having him on their roster? ThankGod he's on our team now , helping our Club to win things.

Along with Joey Haddad, Matthew surely is a real candidate for Captaincy next season. Really great to see him back..
THIS.

Reading between the lines and speculating a little here, but looking at the tweets from the Devils this afternoon and the delay in announcing the signing, I think they had someone else ready to announce which has been delayed. Don't forget they agree terms with some of the squad/roster and delay the announcement to create some hype.

Foxy

I think this wasnt the intended signing to be announced today. Why would Myers announcement have to be delayed an hour?

Never mind really glad Myers is back. Invaluable at face offs and in front of net.

wildthing74

Matthew Myers is a vital signing and he does a lot of the graft that brings little glory.He is a team first player and I would say he still has 3-4 years left in him if he keeps lucky with injuries.
The season he was back in Nottingham showed how much we missed his on Ice presence and any team with Myers on it wins.No brainer and surely this is him seeing out his days at his hometown like he always should have.
The core we have signed is super solid and when you have the best team the year before no major surgery is needed just improvements in key areas so you don't get over taken.
Team is looking good.

matbur

Kearney didn't really play enough games to get a true appreciation of him in fairness, but if we're looking at players we'd like to upgrade on for next season, I'd guess he'd fall into that category.

MK looking half decent!

august04

I genuinely cant believe what Im reading... we are re-signing key impact players and people are underwhelmed!

We had a championship winning team, the bulk of whom appear to be coming back. That, to me at least, is very exciting!
I don't think you'll find a single even slightly negative comment about any of the returning players. Pretty much every poster has welcomed their re-signing. So no underwhelming reaction there. What people are questioning and underwhelmed about is the weekly, drip fed announcements of returning players. If players are signed (particularly returning players), and they clearly are already, then just announce them. We get this big build up of an announcement on a Friday and time and again, it's a player that most knew would be back anyway. It's frankly boring.