2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

bb1

There seems to be a lot of young and hungry AHL/ECHL tough guys who are affected by fighting rules and have little to no chance of making it to the show. Hope we can pick one up for the coming season

With recent unofficial rumours that I've heard recently about Josh Batch being courted by another Elite League club and strong opinions on here about Bordelau not returning it would leave us a little bit lacking in height and weight amongst our squad if these rumours are true, all well and good having speed and skill but every team in this league currently need a bit of size and grunt. If we were top heavy in skill I fear the likes of Rosehill would have a field day against us with nobody in a Devils shirt to make him consider the error of his ways. It may appear that my priorities are rather "old school" but this league is still basically North American in it's approach to the game with clubs signing some tough nuts, I know we try to stay ahead of the opposition and have to consider the CHL style of play but getting bullied on a regular basis and having our coach as our top penalty taker is a little worrying to me.

Gazza272

With recent unofficial rumours that I've heard recently about Josh Batch being courted by another Elite League club and strong opinions on here about Bordelau not returning it would leave us a little bit lacking in height and weight amongst our squad if these rumours are true, all well and good having speed and skill but every team in this league currently need a bit of size and grunt. If we were top heavy in skill I fear the likes of Rosehill would have a field day against us with nobody in a Devils shirt to make him consider the error of his ways. It may appear that my priorities are rather "old school" but this league is still basically North American in it's approach to the game with clubs signing some tough nuts, I know we try to stay ahead of the opposition and have to consider the CHL style of play but getting bullied on a regular basis and having our coach as our top penalty taker is a little worrying to me.

I really wouldn't worry.

the fact Lord plays the type of game that is physical means he knows full well that an element of that is needed.

And well given our Trophy cabinet the last 3 seasons i'm willing to back the desicions he will make this off season.

I have every faith in Lordo to put together an excellent squad, just thinking that the CHL may be the blueprint for the team for this coming season, loads of skill and speed but more European in it's approach and consequently less physical.

voth26

I'm hoping Lotdo has had a good chat with Josh to convince him he's still very much wanted and needed in Cardiff, sometimes it's easy overlook the obvious and assume the other person knows!!

ASHIPP

I have every faith in Lordo to put together an excellent squad, just thinking that the CHL may be the blueprint for the team for this coming season, loads of skill and speed but more European in it's approach and consequently less physical.
TK has already intimated that the Devils will put out a competitive team....but are not expecting to progress to the later rounds of the CHL given the strength and experience of teams that regularly get to those stages. Steve King, TK and Lordo have all acknowledged several times in recent interviews that the domestic competitions will be even harder this year....because of more teams, congested domestic schedule, immediate rivals strengthening their squads.

Those guys will already know what is required to stay ahead, to continue success this year, as well as keeping a watchful eye on other teams rosters. Exciting times for our Club - and we should be confident in excellent recruitment.

Gazza272

But the teams in the CHL are extremely Physical. more physical than any teams we will come up against in the EIHL.

ASHIPP

Basingstoke Bison press release says Ciaran Long and Declan Balmer have left to join Elite League clubs. Long has been linked with the Blaze before. Balmer is a huge U23 defenceman.

But the teams in the CHL are extremely Physical. more physical than any teams we will come up against in the EIHL.
I find that very surprising, European hockey has a reputation for having more of a passing game rather than a dump and chase game, but I will stand corrected and look forward to some good physical hockey in the CHL games.

Ocko

I find that very surprising, European hockey has a reputation for having more of a passing game rather than a dump and chase game, but I will stand corrected and look forward to some good physical hockey in the CHL games.
Definitely agree with Gazza. The European leagues don't fight, it's virtually non existent as it's an automatic game misconduct in most leagues (and often a ban), but the hockey itself has at least double the amount of hits in the top leagues. It's very physical.

I'm hoping Lotdo has had a good chat with Josh to convince him he's still very much wanted and needed in Cardiff, sometimes it's easy overlook the obvious and assume the other person knows!!
If another employer offered to double your wages, you'd definitely consider it weather you were wanted or not...

One thing for sure though is that the CHL is a very exciting prospect for a lot of players, I know it has made some players decide to make a U-turn on their plans for next season and re-sign already.

I'm expecting the Hotham's to retire. No inside info, I just have an inkling.

Wannabe2

Not sure why people are concerned that we may not be a physical team this year, when was the last time we had a bunch of pussies, I dont get it. Our coaching staff, and management know exactly what Cardiff Devils are all about, last years team were a joy to watch, sure we had a few incidents that could have been sorted differently, but we had the personnel in the squad to do just that. This seasons team I am sure won't be knocked about, it just won't happen, I personally think we have already signed some very exciting players, but now isn't quite the right time to release it. Releasing Doucet was a huge statement to me, I don't think Bordy will be back, but I would put my shirt on it that his replacement has already been put in place. Really believe there will be some very good news coming to us shortly.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

The bell wasn't answered far too often for my liking last season - yes we won stuff, but you can still win stuff whilst also not taking crap all the time. Scenarios like the one when Bowns was injured is exactly the type of thing I'm on about here, stuff like that should never just be brushed under the carpet. To an extent the Tyson Marsh incident as well the season before, he had already previously had a fight with Geoff Waugh because of what happened and the Janssen fight was a 2nd time answering and was totally pre-meditated. No self respecting team just lets their captain get knocked out centre ice and acts like nothing has happened.

When was the last time we had a bunch of pussies you say? I think that's up for debate.
We have certainly had players more than capable of stepping up. Question is, why didn't they answer the call? Maybe just maybe there is something to the Andrew Lord leash rumours?
Yes the coach fights sometimes, but he has no one to answer to. God forbid any other player took a penalty and Lordo would be going insane. I can imagine him saying something like... "I don't care if the opposition player is having an affair with your wife, you don't take the two minutes" :rolleyes:

There was times last season when we were crying out for someone to step up and it just never happened. I hope this is addressed this season before teams start catching on that we will quite happily roll over and have our bellies tickled if you smash our starting netminder and injure him.

Johnnybravo1927

If another employer offered to double your wages, you'd definitely consider it weather you were wanted or not...

One thing for sure though is that the CHL is a very exciting prospect for a lot of players, I know it has made some players decide to make a U-turn on their plans for next season and re-sign already.

Andrew Hotham isnt retiring, scott Hotham has been offered a contract to return but last I heard was having trouble renting his house out. Scott Hotham also said last season that if the devils dont offer him a contract then he would retire

Devil_Abroad

Andrew Hotham isnt retiring, scott Hotham has been offered a contract to return but last I heard was having trouble renting his house out. Scott Hotham also said last season that if the devils dont offer him a contract then he would retire

Dave Simms said Cardiff offered all 6 D men contracts for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wagstaff

Might not be the right place to ask, but with the new conferences and rivalries etc do you think we will see each other over Christmas this year or will it be a conference adversary each?
If not it probably puts us against Manchester and Steelers v Panthers won't be changed so you would be playing Giants!

Devil_Abroad

Might not be the right place to ask, but with the new conferences and rivalries etc do you think we will see each other over Christmas this year or will it be a conference adversary each?
If not it probably puts us against Manchester and Steelers v Panthers won't be changed so you would be playing Giants!
I think Todd will still want to play Coventry and possibly MK over Christmas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnnybravo1927

Wouldnt be christmas if we didnt play blaze at christmas time!