2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

I agree with that but as a player to step in when needed there arent many better and he wont cost much. Perfect to just bring him on when needed to deal with certain issues. He wont ice in the CHL games but wouldnt be needed anyway as euro hockey doesnt really require such a physical force

We mustn't get too preoccupied with catering for the CHL, we all know we're not going to progress too far in it, we need to have the players that will win us the league (and qualification for the CHL the season after next) which is the more physical Canadian type player, to me that would include a no nonsense enforcer type and I personally wouldn't be averse to Mr Klotz, he does his work at the pit face and he does it well (ask Fitzgerald lol).

bb1

We are lucky enough to have enough pulling power to attract top players who can both play and fight.
Bordy did a job but from what I heard was not on a leash...he did not want to fight PERIOD.
Klotz yes does his job as an enforcer but that's all he can do. He is far more limited in his skill set than Bordy and Mcgratten hence why both of those played at a far higher level than Klotz.

There are plenty of guys out there who can fight and play far better than Klotz. I'm sure we have some great options on the table

Lordo mentioned in his latest interview mentioned about new players and wether to get a physical type player or a player that had speed, a number of teams have employed a neutral zone trapping system against us, in my amateur oppinion we should go for more speed in order to defeat Nottinghams trapping style, Sheffield had lots of speed and were able to turn over Nottingham over more than us.

bb1

More speed is great but having a few guys who have speed and physicality is even better.
Sheffield did turn Panthers over more with speed but we pretty much destroyed Sheffield. Hence why a mix is good.
That's why I feel Storm have a gem in a Rosehill. Yes he can lose his head at times but could be superb on a top team. Guys like Rosehill, Faryna, Louis all have speed and a physical edge. Hopefully we may see a few more guys in that mould come our way.

Wannabe2

This league is going to be tough this year, in more ways than one. Some tough cookies being signed, it just gets better and better. Steelers look tough, Belfast with Keefe in charge will be tough, Panthers will want to replace McGrattan, and won't want to be pushed around by Steelers, Storm look very tough, Blaze will want to continue putting bums on seats, there last signing looks very good, Lightning with Nickerson won't be pushed around, Clan with their new tough coach will know their fans like toughness. Devils I am sure will be amongst the toughest in the league, all in all it's looking pretty neat, getting the bug now, can't wait for the greatest game on earth to begin.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

august04

I hope our CHL travels haven't impacted on our player budget for next year - does anyone know if there are any financial benefits of being in the tournament e.g. sponsorship revenue sharing, TV revenues etc?
I'm certainly hoping for 3 or 4 upgrades on last season as standing still might not be good enough next season.

Jonesy83

Not a rumour just pure wishful thinking but I'd love to see this guy in a Devils jersey.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15208

Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond
To add to this, a few more players I'd like to see in a Devils jersey....although I know the UK may not be on these guys radar.

Dane Fox http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45607

Francois Bouchard http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9341

Brett Gallant (Alex Gallants brother)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=40286

Mark Frazer
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11020

Brandon Bollig
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39199

I was really hoping that the UK game would or will in time become more skill focused aka European style, but after hearing about the NHL and Crosby being constantly targeted I'm not so sure. Enforcers are still required but fighting I think in unacceptable in the modern game. I don't know what the answer is but technology should help with a technical ref.

Hi Steve,
We need some excitement in our dull hockey off season can you give us some cryptic clues on the next signing? And what are your thoughts on ex NHL enforcers are they good value in the EIHL in terms playing and marketing, do they sell more seats or are they poor value in general?

Who would be your dream Cardiff team money no object ? fantasy hockey time?

bb1

Dalhuisen is a guy I mentioned last pre season. Very tough cookie and some great numbers. Will be interesting if this is the case

Storm are looking very good and tough a bit like our teams who used to play out of the bbt. So games there will be hard to win.

Steelers have defiantly upped the game this season a few of there signings look really good,

Also panthers have made a good signing in there top goalie..

I just hope we don't stand still and sign up the same squad from last year and no improvement..
we need to upgrade on players like bordy doucet etc

Gazza272

Storm are looking very good and tough a bit like our teams who used to play out of the bbt. So games there will be hard to win.

Steelers have defiantly upped the game this season a few of there signings look really good,

I just hope we don't stand still and sign up the same squad from last year and no improvement..
Where would you say Sheffield have improved?

Defensively!!
Fitzy is always solid and plays a really tough game like him or not.
Matheson and this new guy are both looking good stats wise too so I would say they will be a lot better in that area than last season

bb1

Completely agree. I'm glad we look like we are keeping the core of our team however I do feel the guys we are replacing we ensure that their replacements are much much better.
If we don't then it could be a case of standing still as other teams look to get stronger.

ASHIPP

Every new player joining the Steelers this year is,at least on cv, a better player. Some have proven leadership qualities and all have vast experience in different leagues. Thompson is almost acknowledging the Devils' blueprint for their success last year! Of course, it depends how experience translates to the ice, and how effective line partnerships are.

Lordo and TK will know that other rivals will be strengthening their squads. They will also know that Devils can't afford to stand still and not make changes. They have already mentioned this a few times. Think we should be absolutely confident that any new players joining the squad will be the best fit the Club can get for those roles. Don't doubt for a minute they have many players interested in coming .....and have a shortlist of identified targets. A great position to be in.

SteveKing

Hi Steve,
We need some excitement in our dull hockey off season can you give us some cryptic clues on the next signing? And what are your thoughts on ex NHL enforcers are they good value in the EIHL in terms playing and marketing, do they sell more seats or are they poor value in general?

Who would be your dream Cardiff team money no object ? fantasy hockey time?
Sorry I haven't been around much. I've had a crazy travel schedule lately. As for clues, I'm afraid I'm as much out of the loop as you guys when it comes to who Todd is going to announce next. What I can tell you is that I'm really pleased with the players who have opted to stay. Speaks not just to the organization but to the city and fans as well. With that being said, I think that it's dangerous after winning a championship to bring back the exact same team. Some turnover to stay hungry is very important. You'll see a few new faces in Devils shirts this year and based on what is on the table, I fully expect our team to be even better on paper than we were last year.

As for NHL enforcers, I think that it is fairly obvious that very few of them would be prepared to come over and perform the same role they played in North America. While I absolutely value toughness, there are likely better options from a hockey skills, willingness as well as a budget perspective.

These next two months are just not going to go by quick enough!