Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Wannabe2

Tough call this one not knowing how fit Jake is, very good player on his day, and a real gent. After all our success last season, our club will again be after all the trophies on offer, that obviously means going up another gear. Seeing Doucet released sends a message that we won't be standing on our laurels, could there be a position in our club for Jake off the ice, as well as in the squad who knows. This has probably already been sorted, as these young guys need to think about their future. This league gets tougher every year, and will take its toll on the body, anything under 100% will be hard to cope with. Our conference will be a physical conference for sure, only time will tell.

I was working at the rink yesterday in the changing rooms and morrisette is very much involved in next years plans has a player or in assistant capacity

ASHIPP

With professional sportsmen, the ability to fully recover and be as effective as before is always an unknown. No different with the Morrisette situation.
The fact that his recovery took longer than anticipated last season reflects the seriousness of the injury - it's a gamble with no guarantees.

The most progressive teams in sport don't stand still - they make clever additions and scrutinise where they can strengthen to continue their success....and stay ahead of their rivals.
Devils are heading for the really serious stuff now- CHL participation and a congested domestic schedule with multiple competitions. The contribution of every player has to count.

The fact that the Club has just released a player of Doucet's quality because they could not fit him into the team tells me the Club is not afraid to make what they believe are the best and sometimes difficult decisions to progress the team.

Whilst I would certainly ask the question 'where would Mo fit in as a regular player?'....I could certainly see him providing injury cover in a tough schedule. More importantly, he was a fantastic support to Lordo and Jamie last season. Voted captain by the other players, he clearly has leadership and motivational qualities. A great servant to the club - could we see him as an Assistant Coach? Giants/Steelers/Panthers have run a similar system in past seasons.

Devil_Abroad

Glad to see #27 back. He reminds me of Hilton Ruggles, both charismatic guys who are skillful and gutsy players on the ice.

Fingers crossed Pat Asselin is announced next in the weekly off season drip feed as l'd be gutted if we lost him.

Anyone notice just how relaxed Lordo seemed in the interview too compared to the last one where he looked really pissed off about something? Oh and to John Donovan; if you're reading this, are you going for a guinness world record for how many times an interviewer can say 'in terms of'? Seriously fella your interviews are very good bar that grating repetition, sort it out lol
A message to you from John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Injury cover is about the most I would want from Mo. He's past his best now I'm afraid and isn't what we need in a top 6 forward. Was always awesome at blocking shots and penalty shots in particular, but I feel as though age catching up with him coupled with this injury and our emergence as a top team competing in Europe means we should be looking at younger/better talent. That being said, he does live in Pontypridd with his partner I believe, so could potentially be a very cheap option.

What I don't agree with is everyone saying how he should be Assistant Coach, we already have Jamie Elson in that role and I'm afraid you can't let sentiment be the reason for keeping somebody on in any capacity.

That being said, I don't think Lordo has it in him to get rid of his best mate/university captain.

Also, THANK YOU DEVILS, retaining Joey Haddad is absolutely massive for us, love everything about that guy. Travesty If he isn't made captain next season.

Samael

Anyway... Back on topic. Whats the general consensus on the Asiago pair? Will Ulmer & Benti be back? Be suprised to see them move to another eihl team but saying that l was shocked when Doucett was signed by Mk. About time we signed another solid dependable d man too *cough* Louis *cough*

Devil_Abroad

Anyway... Back on topic. Whats the general consensus on the Asiago pair? Will Ulmer & Benti be back? Be suprised to see them move to another eihl team but saying that l was shocked when Doucett was signed by Mk. About time we signed another solid dependable d man too *cough* Louis *cough*
I'd like Ulmer back to keep the Ulmer Asselin Haddad line going which already has chemistry

Martin Benti & another top scoring speed skating Swede from their top division - so we can show PT and Simms how to recruit lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BostonBart22

Fantastic news. Joey has always been a great player but the constellations aligned last season and Joey was awesome. You just knew something was going to happen with every shift he took.
His chemistry with Layne Ulmer and Patrick Asselin a thing of beauty.
A gritty, passionate, creative beast of a player.
The clear choice of Captain next season surely has to be either Joey Haddad or Matthew Myers.
both would make a good capt, thats if myers is back with us , richie be a good call in his testimonial year.

ASHIPP

both would make a good capt, thats if myers is back with us , richie be a good call in his testimonial year.
Matthew hopefully is home to stay - family and business here. He's been an assistant captain in the 3 recent years he's been back with the Devils.

Richie has been an assistant captain for the Devils for years and did a great job sharing last year's captaincy when Morrisette was injured. To be fair to Richie next season, he will have his hands full with his testimonial - that's a pretty important thing to concentrate on.

Y
Injury cover is about the most I would want from Mo. He's past his best now I'm afraid and isn't what we need in a top 6 forward. Was always awesome at blocking shots and penalty shots in particular, but I feel as though age catching up with him coupled with this injury and our emergence as a top team competing in Europe means we should be looking at younger/better talent. That being said, he does live in Pontypridd with his partner I believe, so could potentially be a very cheap option.

What I don't agree with is everyone saying how he should be Assistant Coach, we already have Jamie Elson in that role and I'm afraid you can't let sentiment be the reason for keeping somebody on in any capacity.

That being said, I don't think Lordo has it in him to get rid of his best mate/university captain.

Also, THANK YOU DEVILS, retaining Joey Haddad is absolutely massive for us, love everything about that guy. Travesty If he isn't made captain next season.
So you wouldn't take Jake Morrisette, Professional Ice Hockey Player over Jamie Elson as Assistant Coach and you mention sentiment!!!!! Rec hockey player over Pro Hockey player, really #clueless

ASHIPP

Y

So you wouldn't take Jake Morrisette, Professional Ice Hockey Player over Jamie Elson as Assistant Coach and you mention sentiment!!!!! Rec hockey player over Pro Hockey player, really #clueless
Nobody is saying that. Infact read the posts and you will find that most people acknowledge Mo's leadership skills and motivational contributions on the bench last season. What isn't known yet is his level of coaching experience.
As for Jamie- coached at every UK level, coached younger Devils'teams, coached at Team GB level, successful bench support for last 3 years on a league winning side. Hardly #clueless is it?

Nobody is saying that. Infact read the posts and you will find that most people acknowledge Mo's leadership skills and motivational contributions on the bench last season. What isn't known yet is his level of coaching experience.
As for Jamie- coached at every UK level, coached younger Devils'teams, coached at Team GB level, successful bench support for last 3 years on a league winning side. Hardly #clueless is it?[/QUOTE

I think you'll find Red Mist mentioned sentiment in keeping Jake over Jamie hence my comment, Elson can coach as many Junior Leagues as you want but none compare to the Elite, Jake has on the other hand played and captained numerous Elite league games so has by far and away more experience at Elite than Elson, just for the record Red Mist

Wannabe2

Our coaching team last season won 3 out of 4 trophies, and came bloody close to winning 4 out of 4 trophies, which would have been a unbeatable100%. Why the hell would you want to change that winning formula,. Being a professional player don't mean you can be a successful coach, history proves that. It's not about what you have played, it's about what you bring to the table, different complex all together.

Devil_Abroad

I think you'll find Red Mist mentioned sentiment in keeping Jake over Jamie hence my comment, Elson can coach as many Junior Leagues as you want but none compare to the Elite, Jake has on the other hand played and captained numerous Elite league games so has by far and away more experience at Elite than Elson, just for the record Red Mist
I think coaching is totally different to playing. Morissette may indeed be a great coach but he hasn't yet had the chance; he may not even want to coach. However, Elson has proved he can coach and at different levels; furthermore, Lord chose him to be his bench coach and we see how good a coach Lord has been over the last 3 years so I don't think he would have chosen someone who he didn't trust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

On a much bigger stage, some assistant coaches at NHL or AHL have cut their teeth coaching at junior and minor hockey level and not played. Some players have gone on to join coaching staff and have not succeeded.

Jamie has coached at junior and Team GB level successfully, he is trusted by the Club. It's insulting to him to say otherwise.

The Club may appoint Morrisette into the coaching set-up...but hopefully not as a replacement but an addition to that team.

Last edited:
Y

I think you're the one that's clueless to be honest. Playing and coaching are two totally different ball games. For example, I can drink beer really well, but that doesn't necessarily mean I would be any good at brewing it! Does that make sense to you?

Take Jose Mourinho for example, hardly even had a career out of football, then goes on to become one of the most successful managers in world football. Just because you play a sport, hardly means you will be a great coach.

This coaching set up has done incredibly well this season. I feel an element of disrespect towards Jamie Elson in your post, say what you like about him, but he has cut his teeth with juniors, gb, video analysis and earned the trust of Andrew Lord who has had his most successful season ever with him by his side.

Sentiment would be giving someone a job just to keep them around, definitely not the case with Jamie Elson.