2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Sheincar

To be fair Simms is usually right on these things. He's mates with Todd and Todd tells him. But, I haven't seen him mention Assellin though, or any name in fact.

If we want Assellin back we certainly wouldn't let him go to MK, we'd be able to outbid them a few times over. Didn't his Mam say on twitter he was coming back?
Ah yes, Simms the guy who said Brine would be gone by Christmas & who not only stayed the season but also went on to win 3 titles with us.

Ocko

Ah yes, Simms the guy who said Brine would be gone by Christmas & who not only stayed the season but also went on to win 3 titles with us.
I said 'these things', his opinion on Brine isn't transfer speculation. I don't like the bloke as much as the next guy but he is in the know on these things.

Last year he correctly said we were signing Bordeleu weeks before it happened, said about Myers coming back, Hervato the year before and that's just off the top of my head. His opinions are ridiculous but he knows an awful lot of the goings on.

ASHIPP

Did someone earlier actually say that Simms is friends with Todd?! Must be one of the few hockey friends Simms has then...outside of the Steelers' 'family'.
As for Todd telling Simms anything, I really find that hard to believe especially as the Devils organisation (in recent years) has been notoriously clandestine about player movements.I can't believe Todd would trust information to an idiot like that who is so lacking in integrity.

Still, Simms does seem to know stuff that eventually turns out to be right. He revels in knowing things others don't but doesn't always handle that as well as he should - anyone remember the Tylor Michel to Steelers chapter? The number of players he predicts will be 'gone by Christmas'?

Devil94

Don't think Todd would directly tell Simms anything. But the hockey world is a small one, UK hockey world even smaller.
I bet most people working in British hockey knows the goings on in other clubs, it's just simms is the only one daft enough to publicly share.

Clubs will end up going for the same players as their agents will contact a number of clubs. I bet they can often work out that way who is going where.

It's easy for people within each club to find out who is looking and talking to who. Most players have agents, one way of securing a better deal for their client would be to inform interested teams so and so are also talking to the player.

With confirmed, but unannounced signings, they'll all go through the league for registration and Simms obviously knows Smith quite well and probably works in the same room as him when in Sheffield. It's probably as simple as opening an excel document for him to find out whose going where.

You could bet that Lord, Kelman knows who Steelers are looking at, who Panthers are looking at, Who Giants are looking at etc.. but the word professionalism suits the Devils and most other clubs very well, something which can't be said about Steelers. Be glad that your team is focusing on itself rather than what is going on around the league!

His periscopes are generally quite good, he's there live and often sat near a computer or has his phone on at all times so it's a lot more reliable than reading his often rude tweets.

bb1

Mathers is very good friends with Dougie and is still young and a very good scrapper.

What's the latest on the Faryna rumour?
I'm sure somebody on here mentioned that he was signing with us or am I dreaming that up?

ASHIPP

Mathers is very good friends with Dougie and is still young and a very good scrapper.

What's the latest on the Faryna rumour?
I'm sure somebody on here mentioned that he was signing with us or am I dreaming that up?
Justin Faryna is apparently finishing up his uni course in Dundee at the mo - according to some of their fans.

It was rumoured he might be a target for Devils, magnified by tweets from Simms. Hopefully all this hoping and wishful thinking becomes a reality. :confused:

Simms is simply a tool, literally & figuratively to aid in the mind games that he likes to be a part of.

Players placing items into storage is no indication of their future beyond being in limbo. Makes sense to leave your belongings whilst you plan the next yr, it's easier than dragging them around the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bb1

Fighter not much else.
He is a very good scrapper (not in league of McGrattan, Bordy etc...) and is loved by the teams fans he has played for. As long as we get a guy who hits and will drop them then that's all we can ask for.

I'd rather Lordo bring in a younger fighter and spend the rest of the money on some top quality imports who will light up the league. Bordy did his job well imo but his wages would be astronomical and a younger guy could do a job at a fraction of the price.

Alex Gallant would be superb and is only 24 however may warrant a slightly higher wage than the likes of Mathers. These are the guys that certain teams will look for and not ex NHLers who will be reluctant to drop the mitts.

Ocko

Fighter not much else.
Serious question; what would you have said about Brad Voth before he arrived here?

The two have very similar stats and he is a similar age to what Brad was when he came here. I'm not saying he could ever come close but sometimes players are worth a gamble if they are young, with much to learn and with potential. Especially tough guys.

Wannabe2

That's a very good point Ocko, I actually would have said exactly the same about Brad. Different Era different needs maybe but a very good point.

What exacy did Bordeleau do for us? Some big hits here and there but plenty of opposition players took liberties and he didnt react. I thought he was a waste of money and will be pleased to see him replaced by someone cheaper, younger and more interested

august04

I think Mathers (or a similar young player like him) would be a decent pick up for anyone looking for a tough guy in this league. He's only 23, a big guy who can fight, crash and bang in the corners and wouldn't cost the earth either compared to the likes of Bordeleau. You'd think he wouldn't be coming over over here to do a bit of sight seeing before he hangs up his skates either. He's not a super heavyweight with a reputation to match but what use is that if you don't drop the gloves and do what you're good at? I think that experiment failed with several big name enforcers last season who were more content to hug each other in the post match handshakes than take care of business on the ice. An added bonus if he's happy to do what he does best and that's to actually fight and defend his team mates when anyone takes liberties - something we didn't see much of this season in truth. Get a cheaper fighter who isn't bothered about fighting anyone (and happy to go after the likes of Armstrong if he so much as looks at Bowns next season!), then spend the money you save vs Bordy's wages on skilled players who can win games for us.

bb1

I would rather a power forward or two who can skate with speed and put up points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If that's the case then a guy like Marquadt would fit the bill nicely. He hits hard, can fight if needed and put up points. Put him on a line with a guy like Faryna and they could do some damage.

I'm sure Lord is looking at many options. There are quite a few young AHLers/ECHLers who are affected by AHL fight rule and who will do a great job over here. I honestly think they would do no worse on the points production front than guys like Rosehill and Bordy

kettdevil1

What exacy did Bordeleau do for us? Some big hits here and there but plenty of opposition players took liberties and he didnt react. I thought he was a waste of money and will be pleased to see him replaced by someone cheaper, younger and more interested
OK I'll bite.... I think this question recalls the famous 'what did the Romans do for us' sketch..... so apart from numerous bone crunching hits, some of the most skilled penalty killing I have seen, being part of a team that won three (and so very nearly four) trophies, intimidating numerous D Men into coughing up the puck and by all accounts being a key person in helping with team cohesion..... maybe not much.....

Sorry, just don't understand the culture of criticism without evidence. It was not his job alone to sort out any misdemeanours and although there were moments when I would have liked him to do more.... there were also plenty of moments when he turned momentum with one shift.

kettdevil1

If that's the case then a guy like Marquadt would fit the bill nicely. He hits hard, can fight if needed and put up points. Put him on a line with a guy like Faryna and they could do some damage.

I'm sure Lord is looking at many options. There are quite a few young AHLers/ECHLers who are affected by AHL fight rule and who will do a great job over here. I honestly think they would do no worse on the points production front than guys like Rosehill and Bordy
Different opinions I guess but I have never been convinced by Marquadt, he went missing far too often whenever I watched the Blaze and unlike Faryna (who I think would be a great fit for us) he never seemed to have the team at the centre of everything he did....