Cardiff Devils sign 21 y/o Craig Moore from Stars

Temme

Thread starter #1
Last edited:

solelace84

Figured this deserves it's own thread.

I guess this is with the new rules coming in with U23's a direct replacement for batch.**

** After re-listening to the interview, JD mentions to Lord "does Josh Batch now move up as a power forward?"

Is this a slip up...
Pretty sure Batch is on a multi-year as of last season, and he is studying in Cardiff, so I believe he will be on the roster next year anyway.

bdevil

Pretty sure Uni deals are only 1 year contracts.. Salters only had 1 year here and he was on a Uni deal.

I do agree that he will be staying though.

Chris

Administrator
I don't think it's confirmed anywhere that he's on a multi-year deal, and I seem to remember from the rumours thread someone posting to say he had/was going to finish his degree this year?

Anyway, Moore looks a good signing for us even if I can't remember anything about him from last season :D

solelace84

Pretty sure Uni deals are only 1 year contracts.. Salters only had 1 year here and he was on a Uni deal.

I do agree that he will be staying though.
Not saying that a uni deal automatically grants players a multi-year contract. Either way, they're talking about Batch like he's on the roster for next season, which is great.

ASHIPP

Tremendous signing for the Devils. Check out his leadership and development resume on Elite Prospects. His ability to play in various positions gives Lordo some options....as will Batchy who can also play forward.

Welcome to Cardiff, Craig. Exciting times.

bdevil

I thought he was mainly used by Dundee as a defenceman but he's gone on the roster page of the Devils website as a forward so that may indicate how Lord plans to use him.

Devil94

When I first saw we signed him my initial thought was the he was a defenceman. Assumed that meant a change for Batch, either not returning or moving to a forward. Don't think we'll go 3 Brit d-men?
Looks a good Brit addition though. Impressive to wear the A as a 20 year old. Also GB U20 captain.

Kal

Probably one of the best under 23s with EIHL experience. I'm pretty sure Batch finishes uni this year, maybe hes the devil going to MK its closer to home for him.

ASHIPP

Probably one of the best under 23s with EIHL experience. I'm pretty sure Batch finishes uni this year, maybe hes the devil going to MK its closer to home for him.
Don't want to de-rail this thread away from superb Craig signing but I would be gobsmacked if Josh was not a Devil next season. He loves this Club, second home and he is v popular. Lordo would struggle to replace an Elite League experienced British player with the toughness and size Josh brings.

British players are at a premium. Teams are going to try their utmost to keep hold of them. Simms all but said that it was import players going to MKL.

Batch is on a 2 year deal - wasn't announced last year but he signed one to go with his Uni course. As others have said, Uni deals aren't necessarily = 2 year deals but as they have to hand in their thesis/dissertation in September the following year most of the time they continue with the clubs they were at. So Salters, despite retiring, was in Cardiff till September 2016 and I think would have stayed on had he not had as many injuries/made a bigger impact.

voth26

I can't see what the Devils will gain by letting Batch leave, good size, physical Brit D man. Moore isn't the level Josh is at yet, I know Josh is older but good Brit players this year are going to be difficult to come by so I dont see the logic of letting any of our established brit pack leave unless they want to of course

Ocko

Batch isn't on the uni course all the other players are usually on. The deal Devils have is with Cardiff Met for an MBA. Josh is doing a normal degree, not a Masters, so is on a 3 year course. Not the 1 year course all the others do. I think he might finish this year though - on that I could be wrong. I don't think it's actually a 'uni deal' that the club arranged either.