Piggott & Jones

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #1
Now that Cardiff have joined the big boys in NIHL could this be a lifeline for Piggott and Jones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnnybravo1927

For piggott I woukd say yes. With him having a well paid career outside of hockey I doubt he would have moved away to play hockey so it would most likely have been swindon next season but the Fire are playing that level next season anyway. I think Chris Jones will have a crack at elite league with another club.

Todd made a comment in his interview at playoff weekend that Piggott is like a captain off the ice. Something like that. So it wouldn't surprise me if we sign him as a spare Brit. Especially with the extra matches of CHL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Chris Jones will have a crack at elite league with another club.
o_O:rolleyes: Apart from his mind blowing stats in 2014-2015, that is the only year out of 4.5 years with the club that he has managed to really push himself and amass more than 3 points in the regular season ...I'm sure other 'Elite' teams will be queueing up to give him one of their Over 23 slots!!

God help anyone who would think that is a good idea. This new rule was designed to develop young promising players and remove deadwood/roster fillers from the league.

JC23

I can very much see CJ playing for the Fire NIHL1 next season.

He came through the ranks with Mark Cuddihy, and there is a massive mutual respect between the two.

Could be a good option for him.

Todd made a comment in his interview at playoff weekend that Piggott is like a captain off the ice. Something like that. So it wouldn't surprise me if we sign him as a spare Brit. Especially with the extra matches of CHL

Todd also tweeted that the team would always welcome the services of a Doctor, so I'm sure there will be a place for Dr P in the off ice team.

ASHIPP

Luke was a leader in his time with the ENL Devils - with the Fire moving up to the 1st Division in the new NIHL set up, would be great for Piggsie to continue playing the game he loves....and providing cover etc with an arrangement with the Devils.

Jonesy might be of interest to clubs in the Manchester/Coventry/Guildford/MKL conference - but he would have to travel. MKL already look to have their British contingent already sewn up.
Other than that, it might mean a place with the Fire.

Last edited:

Milky

Seeing that they shared a fourth line spot between them, I can't see any teams rushing to sign CJ.

Agree with the above re Piggsy, Great guy and a professional career in medicine so I reckon he'd play for the Fire rather than one away. Would get a lot more ice time too which is good.

Shocking standard of hockey though so maybe a bit of a disappointment on the ice for him.

matbur

I don't think we should be underestimating what Piggott brings to the team.

Leadership in the dressing room will often go overlooked as the public don't see it but it's characters like him that gave us the mentality to go on and have the season we had. When we had a rocky couple of weeks mid-season when one or two questions were just starting to be asked over the team's mentality and title winning credentials, who was stepping up delivering 100%? Piggott.

I'd be gutted to see this guy leave and would keep him on our roster even if it means having one less technically gifted player such is his importance. Don't overlook what strong characters bring to a team, especially a winning one.

osh

Luke Piggot is what Cardiff Devils are all about, passionate, honest,reliable, leaves it all on the ice, flashy no, dependable 1,000%.
All well and good, and I would agree....to a point.
Can't comment about his dressing room / off ice input etc, but let's cut to the chase and see it from a fans perspective. It's not his fault he got such low minutes on the ice, and there is no doubting his energy and commitment, however, at EIHL level you need more than just energy and commitment. You need EIHL standard ability, and fortunately, neither he nor Jones has that in my opinion, and I feel their stats verify that. If the new rules regarding Brits hadn't of been brought in, we would probably still see them on the roster next season, but I also feel it's a good time for Jones to move on and try elsewhere and I also feel that Piggott will stay local due to his ongoing off ice medical research work which could see him icing for a Cardiff team albeit at a lower level, but on standby for us if needed.

Gazza272

All well and good, and I would agree....to a point.
Can't comment about his dressing room / off ice input etc, but let's cut to the chase and see it from a fans perspective. It's not his fault he got such low minutes on the ice, and there is no doubting his energy and commitment, however, at EIHL level you need more than just energy and commitment. You need EIHL standard ability, and fortunately, neither he nor Jones has that in my opinion, and I feel their stats verify that. If the new rules regarding Brits hadn't of been brought in, we would probably still see them on the roster next season, but I also feel it's a good time for Jones to move on and try elsewhere and I also feel that Piggott will stay local due to his ongoing off ice medical research work which could see him icing for a Cardiff team albeit at a lower level, but on standby for us if needed.

Jones for me can be an EIHL player in the mould of Jason Hewitt/ross Venus.

kingmo19.1

I think when referring to points scored, it's vital to consider that in conjunction with ice-time granted.

Over a 52 league game season, Piggsy & Jonesy may only average 2.5 minutes per game - so 52 x 2.5 minutes = 130 league minutes ALL SEASON.

To chip in with 2-3 points is averaging a point a game (using my somewhat crude mathematics).

Also factor into the equation that those guys are not continually involved in any game and will most of the time be coming into the ice in relatively cold condition.

Would be an interesting comparison to understand how many points Martin/Ulmer etc would generate if they only played a total of 130 minutes per season.

Hats off to them both for remaining engaged and motivated knowing that in some of the closer games you might hardly ice all night.

Last edited:

matbur

I think when referring to points scored, it's vital to consider that in conjunction with ice-time granted.
You make a good point and it's a real shame things like time on ice aren't recorded by the league. Since following UK hockey, I find point tallies are a bit overrated in the Elite League anyway. So many players are close to, or putting over a point-per-game, it's unreal.

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #19

Over a 52 league game season, Piggsy & Jonesy may only average 2.5 minutes per game - so 52 x 2.5 minutes = 130 league minutes ALL SEASON.

To chip in with 2-3 points is averaging a point a game (using my somewhat crude mathematics).

Also factor into the equation that those guys are not continually involved in any game and will most of the time be coming into the ice in relatively cold condition.

Would be an interesting comparison to understand how many points Martin/Ulmer etc would generate if they only played a total of 130 minutes per season.

Hats off to them both for remaining engaged and motivated knowing that in some of the closer games you might hardly ice all night.
Think your maths is just a little off the mark. If they scored 3 points in a season and averaged 2.5 mins a game which equals 130 mins in total, then as a good quality 3rd line player they'd expect to play on ave maybe 13 mins a game and therefore that make 10 games to score 3 points. A 50 game season totals 15 pts. Don't think either will be going to MK after the cryptic tweet from Simms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

osh

The 2 of the just weren't up to the mark no matter how many try to defend them. I would really
Ike to see them home on and prove me wrong, do I think that will happen, absolutely not, but I wish them both well.