2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Devil_Abroad

So not much going on here nor around the league then? Coaches to Giants & Clan? Brits? Who's being retained? Very quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

If we keep Bowns, Murdy, Batch, Richardson & Myers, then that's our 5 Brits.

Is Ferrera better than any of these guys? Devils would have to lose one to accomodate him. They also need to find room for 3 U23 playersunder the new roster rules.

Can see Ferrara at Panthers, Storm, MKL

wildthing74

If we keep the aforementioned 5 then obviously we have no need and will will indeed be having to move out current over 23year old Brits to accommodate the new rule.

I had Steelers down to keep him as their 5th over 23 Brit considering they have gone on about his improvements but it just goes to show Sheffield must have eyes on a stud Brit to join the 2 Phillips boys,Dowd and O'Connor if they are prepared to let him go.
Not many players that could be unless they can snare a guy off a big rival and that would set the cat among the pigeons.

I like the idea of the 23 year rule as at least we have eyes on bringing younger guys through in the league but only if they play.Shame in some respects that it limits teams who want to and can afford to sign more than 5 over 23's.I had said many times I would have loved Davies back but now we would have no space if all our top 5 sign could he go to Sheffield?

ASHIPP

If Steelers are going to replace a British player with another, is it more likely to be a forward than a defenceman?They have already confirmed O'Connor and D. Phillips returning.

Could it be Jack Prince? A long-shot Joey Lewis. Or Ben Davies. Someone to play on 3rd/4th line.

Johnnybravo1927

If we keep the aforementioned 5 then obviously we have no need and will will indeed be having to move out current over 23year old Brits to accommodate the new rule.

I had Steelers down to keep him as their 5th over 23 Brit considering they have gone on about his improvements but it just goes to show Sheffield must have eyes on a stud Brit to join the 2 Phillips boys,Dowd and O'Connor if they are prepared to let him go.
Not many players that could be unless they can snare a guy off a big rival and that would set the cat among the pigeons.

I like the idea of the 23 year rule as at least we have eyes on bringing younger guys through in the league but only if they play.Shame in some respects that it limits teams who want to and can afford to sign more than 5 over 23's.I had said many times I would have loved Davies back but now we would have no space if all our top 5 sign could he go to Sheffield?
TBH there is no chance we are losing our 5 core brits. Richardson is a mainstay of the team and has already been named on the roster, Bowns has got a house here and has alreadyvstated his hate for steelers, Batch has just moved into a new apartment, Myers is back home and pushing his construction company so its only possibly murdy who might go but he is very happy here so its unlikely. I think CJ and Piggsy have reached the end of their devils careers alongside Bordeleau Brine benti and doucet

Devil_Abroad

TBH there is no chance we are losing our 5 core brits. Richardson is a mainstay of the team and has already been named on the roster, Bowns has got a house here and has alreadyvstated his hate for steelers, Batch has just moved into a new apartment, Myers is back home and pushing his construction company so its only possibly murdy who might go but he is very happy here so its unlikely. I think CJ and Piggsy have reached the end of their devils careers alongside Bordeleau Brine benti and doucet
Someone doesn't like bees?

The question is, how valuable is Murdy's position as an over 23 British player? I love the guy, but this new rule does make you question weather or not it's worth using one of those slots on our back up netminder!
As awesome as Murds is, I would be tempted to try and sign Ben Davies or Jack Prince and use an U23 player as a backup!

Ocko

The only problem with that is if Bowns can't play a game for whatever reason. It means we'd be completely screwed. No U23 in the Cardiff set up is anywhere near ready and there were no starters in the EPL last year who were U23 and decent, we'd effectively be throwing a game every time Bowns couldn't play.

I think the league has moved on for the top teams having a back up purely to make up the numbers. We need someone capable of playing up to 15 games and holding his own IMO.

Ocko

At what age does the player have to turn 23? Brad Day is currently 22 but turns 23 before the season starts, will he be an over or under?

In which case it may mean Ferrara hasn't been released for a new top Brit but more a case of not fitting in with the new rule and existing Brits.