Conferences

ASHIPP

Why are we complaining? Devils should walk the Challenge Cup qualification process under the new format. :D

TK can always be relied upon to explain things in a straightforward and positive way - great job. May not like all the changes but can understand that this was done to reduce costs for some teams who would struggle - and create more opportunity for teams on lower budgets/less experience to reach the later stages of competitions.

Whether playing the same team 8 times in your conference encourages local rivalries is another matter - e.g. many of the fans on Scottish hockey forums were bored by over-saturation last season. Not entirely sure this will guarantee higher gate receipts at some venues either - again, over-satuaration playing the same local opposition sometimes has a negative effect. Fife actually registered a decline in their attendances over the previous two seasons. Whilst the Devils, thankGod, never had that problem of encouraging spectators, some clubs only seemed to have sell-outs or higher ticket sales when the arena teams were in town.

august04

I think the last paragraph is the most telling. Some of these teams who we've compromised a fair league for over the past few years (and continue to do so) need to get off their backsides and make their clubs more financially viable. We get the same excuses year after year from the likes of Edinburgh, still nothing changes and still they weaken the league but expect everyone else to bend over backwards to accommodate them (not just them either). We never used the BBT as an excuse (and nobody else had a rink that bad to play out of), particularly when Kelman took over. He and the club just worked hard to make sure we had as many sponsors as possible, as many people were in that rink on game nights as possible and having a good time. It's about time some of these other clubs did the same. And if they can't, then push off.

pjj365

"The problem I have with the new structure is that now the smaller teams will essentially save money on travel etc....they probably won't increase their budget and put on a better on ice product....so in effect I bet the likes of Scott Neil are laughing. More money in his pocket and not invested into team!"

Todd sets out the challenge to these teams in the final paragraph of his article. I guess it's a flag that maybe the "poor me" teams need to look internally to ensure their survival. I guess in future years with the demise of the EPL there may be more teams wanting to join the EIHL (and not just Hull) such that the loss of 2 or 3 of the current teams becomes bearable/sustainable

Rempel16

I'm glad we won it and got that monkey off our back but the league has been very fortunate that Braehead have had the likes of Finnerty at the helm. They should romp this league with a decent coach in charge, a good budget and some decent recruitment. I'm thinking G could have no better time to get that job!
But arguably it's now harder for Braehead to win the league and i wouldn't bet against Neil Black giving the new coach (Emmo) a smaller budget this year due to this new set-up.

august04

But arguably it's now harder for Braehead to win the league and i wouldn't bet against Neil Black giving the new coach (Emmo) a smaller budget this year due to this new set-up.
It is harder now, yes, but they've been inept this past couple of years. If he wants one of his teams to be league champions, he's better off putting a few extra bob the way of Braehead. Emerson as their new coach? I heard that rumour but haven't seen confirmation anywhere or did I miss that?

Rempel16

If he wants one of his teams to be league champions, he's better off putting a few extra bob the way of Braehead. Emerson as their new coach? I heard that rumour but haven't seen confirmation anywhere or did I miss that?
Perhaps, but if Braehead were to win the league it's because they're 'in the easier conference'.... That the viewpoint of 99% of us and that will always make a Clan title win tainted, so better to put his support into Panthers and if they win then they've deserved it.

Emmerson remains just a rumour at the moment.

Bazza

Once again Todd explains things. Justifies the way it is. Does not mean it is the 'perfect' structure but if it is the best way to operate for next season then so be it.

We are very lucky....

august04

Perhaps, but if Braehead were to win the league it's because they're 'in the easier conference'.... That the viewpoint of 99% of us and that will always make a Clan title win tainted, so better to put his support into Panthers and if they win then they've deserved it.

Emmerson remains just a rumour at the moment.
Braehead won't care if it's tainted, they played "We are the Champions" and celebrated like they'd won the Stanley Cup after clinching their conference this past season! And they'd be the league representative in the CHL. They wouldn't give two hoots what everyone else thinks, nor should they if that's the agreed way to decide the league champion.

Foxy

Trouble is the scottish teams have had years to get off their backsides and have done zilch......... whats going to change if the other teams keep giving in to them

Makes perfect sense for Cardiff, the IAW and the owner group. Continued sell outs, increased revenue into the club gives the club as a viable business more options going forward. Which hopefully keeps the sport going in Cardiff.
As a fan it's not brilliant, but the chances of all the clubs having competitive teams is unfortunately unlikely. Will clubs reinvest in the sport, securing the sports future, probably not and nothing about the changes make me believe this format increases the sports longevity. I would have preferred Todd or the other clubs to comment that their make very healthy returns on the respective investments, if his comments are accurate and the money simply is not there, how can growth/change be achieved.

Do l like the new set up : No.

Do l understand it yes : Yes.

youngbob

One possible way round the perceived "unfairness" of playing some teams 4 times, other twice, would be that games between conferences count for double points - 4 for regulation win, 3 for o/t win, 1 for o/t loss

That way Braehead, for instance, would get 2 points for a game where they beat Dundee, but any team outside that conference gets 4 points from beating Dundee

Similarly If Braehead beat a team outside their conference they'd pick up 4 points