Conferences

pjj365

Wow

Conference winers Clan, Coventry maybe Storm Who knows for ours

3 of our 4 will be dead on their feet by Feb or so - EIHL, CHL & CC but at least they are playjng each other

Place your bets Coventry ot Clan for the league

Also other than the Scotish conference geography seems to mean little

Foxy

Absolutely farcical........ Complete cave in to the scottish teams..... Board with no balls
New rota rules shouldnt apply to our group. Its was hard enough to win the league last year. With the new rules in place absolutley impossible

davew

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!

I don't want to see Shuff or Belfast every other bally week. This is a retrograde step that takes us back to the nonsense of the ISL era. Notts and Shuff can play each other home and away every week if they want but I want the variety that a 12 team league brings.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #25
So fans forum at Nottingham complete joke, your either in or your out. Unless you don't agree then you call the shots. No way was everyone going to be happy with the eventual eventual outcome, but how Mickey Mouse is this league. Three conferences of four teams, back street stuff , keep three of the Scottish teams happy, and shit on Manchester. Myself and who am I, would have said goodbye Caps, goodbye Stars, goodbye Flyers, one league of 9 who want to play. The others would have changed their minds big time, they had no where else to go. Neil Black you are a born again Simmsy, full of not very clever stuff. This now makes the play offs the number one trophy, as the league title is a joke, like the EIHL. These decisions are pure financial, I understand it's a balancing act, but again it makes a mockery of our sport, yes it's a minority sport, and it always will be unfortunately. At the moment three teams run this league, and they are three of the smallest teams, says a lot really.

Foxy

They better not have the winner of each league taking places 1 2 3 for the playoffs.......

How are teams supposed to improve if they keep avoiding the better teams..........

august04

What a complete joke, an utter failure of this idiotic board in standing up against the threats from the Scottish teams.
Forget any ambitions of winning the league title in our group, a complete farce to have to play 4h/4a interconference and 2h/2a out of conference. At least if it was 3h/3a and 2h/2a, it would be fairer. This makes the league title a joke, totally meaningless and they might as well scrap it altogether and concentrate on making the play offs the number one competition. Does anyone really want to play any other team 8 times again (in league play only!) during the regular season? Well, they obviously do but they're not thinking of the fans. Do me a favour Kelman, Black, Smith and co, next year tell the Scots to sod off and change this nonsensical structure or that's the end of my season ticket. Very, very disappointed with this outcome.

SteveKing

Well we've got our work cut out for us now, don't we! Obviously not what I would have drawn up but we're only one vote. To me, this would be palatable if you included a proper playoff tournament and shifted the "league champion" title to the playoff winner but maybe that's something that evolves over time. Regardless, I love a good challenge so let's step it up this off season!

davew

We should have vetoed, and forced the league into running this first expansion season as one 12 team league 2h/2a a regional CC comp and a proper play-off comp. As a gesture a play-off plate for the non qualifiers, with their champ game instead of the stupid 3/4th place game.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #30
Held to ransom by three teams who may not even see the season out, what a complete joke. Greatest sport on the planet, but so so amateurishly run in this country. Surely one league of nine teams would have been far better, we still would have been represented by Wales, England, Scotland, and Ireland, and where would the other three teams have gone ????. The league title is now a joke, the main voice in the owners committee has been shot down big time, what a joke he is. A very sad day today for a sport thats trying very hard to grow, but keeps shooting it's self in the foot.

august04

Well, good job we won the league this year as I don't think any Arena conference team has a chance next season, while we're all beating the crap out of each other and playing in Europe too. While Braehead may finally do it next season, imagine being a fan of theirs tonight and facing the prospect of all those games against Scottish cannon fodder. How can the league title still be the gateway to CHL qualification? It's become blatantly unfair. Just scrap it now, and create a meaningful playoff series to decide it all. I cannot believe that the board allowed the Scots to dictate in this way, absolutely staggering and this decision shows a complete disregard for hockey fans in this country. A dangerous mistake to take the paying public for granted. Short-term thinking wins the day again by greedy, self serving owners. When will British hockey ever learn?

Foxy

Well we've got our work cut out for us now, don't we! Obviously not what I would have drawn up but we're only one vote. To me, this would be palatable if you included a proper playoff tournament and shifted the "league champion" title to the playoff winner but maybe that's something that evolves over time. Regardless, I love a good challenge so let's step it up this off season!
We've been here before though Steve where we played the same teams week in week out and regardless of the standard it got boring...............
Format should have at least given every team a chance to win. There is no way our conference is even going to have a look in.......

As i said above why should we have to play by new roster rules now. Arena conference play same rules as last year. They've got what they wanted in Scotland we should at least keep our standard of play and get value for our money

Last edited:

tim78

The only way to fairly balance this would be for the conference games to be split ie 2(h)x2(a) count to the league title and the other 2x2 count solely to the conference title. In this format the league title remain aboslutely fair as everyone would compete for the title on an even keel.

Mooney#16

I honestly despair that the top tier of ice hockey in this country is in the hands of these collective idiots. Hockey in this country in the eliteleague has absolutely zero to do with the sporting challenge but about 12 businesses balancing the books. How on earth can hockey in this country be taken seriously globally of the back of this. Challenge cup is and always will be a side show. Should be scraped in all honesty. League is now rendered completely daft due to the lack of parity and how you can play so fast and lose with the CHL place is beyond me. Honestly hope CHL throw the UK out of the competition with the credibility of the champion being so in doubt. The only solution is to make the play offs the real deal. But and despite what anyone says the road block to the play off format is Nottingham, Sheffield, Braehead and Belfast. They are so handcuffed and rigid in there finances and business models they can't just admit they are strangling this sport instead just quoting attendance figures to justify what are limited growth businesses. This is nothing short of a shit show by the owners. Thinking about themselves and there balance sheets. Call it what it is. It's no longer a sporting challenge but an entertainment league. Nothing more than WWE. Take fans money. Self promote at how amazing you all are. All the while disenfranchising fans and exploiting their loyalty. The transparency of this decision is so arrogant it's insulting. They should all be ashamed at the governance that has led to this point. Disgraceful the lot of them.

RedDevil17

I'm not really a fan of this new system at all. Again, like before, it's unfair that we get Sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham compared to the Scottish conference which Braehead will most likely dominate as in previous years. It's crazy how we get teams in the top 4 last year!. I would've had either Sheffield or Belfast into the other conference and maybe have MK or Guildford in with us or even have 2 conferences of 6 but it is what it is. Hopefully in the next few years we can add even more teams and then scrap the conferences! Overall it's a complete joke!!! At the end of the day conferences are basically meanless anyway. We didn't really lift that trophy when we won it. It means absolutely nothing in terms of team credibility and who the best team is when you got all the best teams in the best conference...Also, the fact that a team who finished in fifth won theirs and the other conference teams were ALL in the bottom half of the table!!

Last edited:

august04

I honestly despair that the top tier of ice hockey in this country is in the hands of these collective idiots. Hockey in this country in the eliteleague has absolutely zero to do with the sporting challenge but about 12 businesses balancing the books. How on earth can hockey in this country be taken seriously globally of the back of this. Challenge cup is and always will be a side show. Should be scraped in all honesty. League is now rendered completely daft due to the lack of parity and how you can play so fast and lose with the CHL place is beyond me. Honestly hope CHL throw the UK out of the competition with the credibility of the champion being so in doubt. The only solution is to make the play offs the real deal. But and despite what anyone says the road block to the play off format is Nottingham, Sheffield, Braehead and Belfast. They are so handcuffed and rigid in there finances and business models they can't just admit they are strangling this sport instead just quoting attendance figures to justify what are limited growth businesses. This is nothing short of a shit show by the owners. Thinking about themselves and there balance sheets. Call it what it is. It's no longer a sporting challenge but an entertainment league. Nothing more than WWE. Take fans money. Self promote at how amazing you all are. All the while disenfranchising fans and exploiting their loyalty. The transparency of this decision is so arrogant it's insulting. They should all be ashamed at the governance that has led to this point. Disgraceful the lot of them.
Absolutely 100% spot on!

Wannabe2

Thread starter #40
Spot on what a bloody joke