Player Ratings 2016-2017

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Ok folks, here's my ratings. Always interesting to note whether one's opinion fits more or less with the majority or I have got it totally wrong!

Bownsey 9.5/10 - Looked solid for the vast majority of the season. Did seem to ship quite a few to his left hand-side towards the latter part, so hopefully not an injury there.

Murdy - 9/10 - Great when called on. One shaky period v Sheffield in the league loss, but cannot fault the guy for being first rate when called upon.

Fournier - 8/10 - Great going forward, best skating D man on the team, sometimes overrun and slightly prone to getting caught out.

A Hotham - 8/10 - Why only 8, we'll his attacking exploits are well documented, but he does have a tendency to give the odd heart-attack when caught in possession. As per last year, +/- would be an interesting read. Wouldn't change him though.

Louis - 9/10 - Best D man on the team for me. Tough, no nonsense, rarely makes a mistake. Quality player.

S Hotham - 7.5/10 - Was expecting a bit more to be honest - didn't do much wrong, but didn't seem to settle as much as Louis.

Richardson - 8/10 - Solid, great scoring streak at the start of the season then dried up, but was super solid on 'D'.

Batch - 7.5/10 - Decent enough, form seemed to drop off in last few months.

Ulmer - 9/10 - Pants for first few months then WOW! ... Very classy player, intelligent and clever.

Martin - 9/10 - Solid season, not as productive as last year, but a more even spread in the team this season. Did seem to drop off a bit prior to the playoff in going on quite a run of games with 0 points!

Asselin - 9/10 - Top quality signing. Well done Wally (got any more lined up?). Unbelievable skill level, could definitely play at a higher level.

Benti - 9/10 - Wasn't too sure at the start, but when settled looked very solid. Splitting him and Ulmer up seemed to work wonders (for them both)!

Lordo - 10/10 - Fantastic season as a player and coach - END OF.

Doucet - 6.5/10 - Grrrr, a bit too hot and cold for me. No goals for ages, then a spree, then none. Frustrating to watch and no doubt also frustrating for him personally.

Morrissette - 6.5/10 - Didn't quite to it for me this season. Maybe the captaincy weighed on him, but looked to be under some serious pressure before his injury.

Kearney - 6/10 - Not a huge amount to judge the guy on, but did ok.

Haddad 11/10 - Fantastic season, my player of the year. Awesome battler and a top bloke.

Culligan - 8/10 - This is a tough one. A top utility player, but a jack of all trades and master of none? Would like to see him (team injuries permitting) settled into a specific role to see what he can do.

Brine - 9/10 - Gone by Xmas according to the Estate Agent! ... Great season, worked his nuts off night after night - unsung hero.

Myers - 7.5/10 - Seemed to start the season very slowly then picked up. Won his fare share of face-offs which I presume was the main aim in signing him.

Jonesy - 6/10 - Difficult to rate due to lack of ice time. Didn't do anything wrong - chipped in with a few important goals in the latter part of season (especially Challenge Cup away game in Belfast).

Piggsy - 6/10 - See comments above for Jonesy (excluding goals).

Bordy - 7/10 - Didn't quite do it for me, a few times he should have stamped his authority on games and seemed but reluctant to get involved (enforcers for yesteryear would have been straight in). Maybe too much expected due to his reputation. Apart from Fitzgerald being a pussy all year, I don't quite buy the 'ice presence' being enough.

TK - 8.5/10 - Not bad, bit of a mare with Mega Monday and the Shirt Raffle, but quite humourous on occasion.

Owners 10/10 - Couldn't fault them.

IAW - 5/10 - Dodgy seats, dodgy lights, dodgy hand-stickers, queues etc - atmosphere a bit lacking in a fair few games - but hey that's for the fans

Season overall 9.75/10 - Thanks all.

backrow

kingmo19.1 I agree that Culli's numbers don't jump out at you but I disagree about "master of none". Culli is an excellent penalty killer - remember the 2 blocked shots at the end of the Challenge Cup game? He is an excellent defensive forward, usually in 3 line 3rd periods playing with Myers and Brine. He probably only had 3-4 shifts all year on a power play but had one great game playing with Benti and Ulmer when given a chance. I'm not sure if there's a better utility player able to play any position at short notice? I have a feeling the Devils team ranks him highly.

rocketbob

I feel that you have seriously underrated Lordo. 15/10 at least!
More seriously I think that I would give Matthew Myers an 8.5-9.0. How many key face offs did that guy win and he took a battering in front of the goalie all season.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

I feel that you have seriously underrated Lordo. 15/10 at least!
More seriously I think that I would give Matthew Myers an 8.5-9.0. How many key face offs did that guy win and he took a battering in front of the goalie all season.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Anyone needing confirmation of Matthew Myers' importance should simply check out his Team GB stats - he's won over 75% of his face offs not to mention chipping in with points. He's a highly skilled face-off expert, a great goalie screener and a player with immense physicality every shift. And he knows how to win, having won everything domestically at Nottingham. Devils struggled to replace those skills when Matthew returned to the Panthers for one season. Any team with him on the roster wins.

E.D.S.

Anyone needing confirmation of Matthew Myers' importance should simply check out his Team GB stats - he's won over 75% of his face offs not to mention chipping in with points. He's a highly skilled face-off expert, a great goalie screener and a player with immense physicality every shift. And he knows how to win, having won everything domestically at Nottingham. Devils struggled to replace those skills when Matthew returned to the Panthers for one season. Any team with him on the roster wins.
That guys put his head and body where I wouldn't put my foot. He's a menace and a total pain in the ass. He does a thankless task. You can't judge a player like Myers on points. It's his contrition that's key.
Totally agree with Ashipp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettdevil1

Sums it up. The only player I can think of on our roster that performs a similar role is Lord and even with him, I think Myers is better at screening and face offs

matbur

Yeah I largely agree with the opening post but would swap Brine and Myers' ratings around. Myers just seems to be a winner for me and is probably our most important bottom six player.

Ocko

IMO the OP ratings are a little harsh on Hotham. He was our best player this year for me by a mile. For the league MVP and our joint top point scorer to be a d man just shows he's different gravy for this level. Joey Martin is immensel talented and too good for this league but Hotham equalled his stats from D, thats insane. Also don't get the question of his +/-, I'd be amazed if it wasn't one of the highest in the team. He's high risk but we always have Richie on with him.

Probably have Benti down a bit. He wasn't anywhere near as clutch as Ulmer so shouldn't have the same score IMO.

And Myers; superb all year for us. Can play in any situation and gave absolutely everything for the cause. Played in the dirty areas and was one of our most consistent hitters. I'd have him around a 9.

Outsider

If you're going to rate players you need to do a couple things. One, use your head and not your heart when you rate players and secondly you need to use he whole season and not the last 3 months. The numbers in the initial post certainly were amusing

backrow

I don't think the Devils would have been near as successful without the contribution of their so called "role players"; the defensive forwards, the penalty killers, the key faceoff men and the energy players.
Several of these players were consistent in their effort and effectiveness all season long but they seem to be judged on their goal and point totals.

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #11
If you're going to rate players you need to do a couple things. One, use your head and not your heart when you rate players and secondly you need to use he whole season and not the last 3 months. The numbers in the initial post certainly were amusing
I look forward to reading your individual player reviews - should you be bold enough to document them!

Ok folks, here's my ratings. Always interesting to note whether one's opinion fits more or less with the majority or I have got it totally wrong!

Bownsey 9.5/10 - Looked solid for the vast majority of the season. Did seem to ship quite a few to his left hand-side towards the latter part, so hopefully not an injury there.

Murdy - 9/10 - Great when called on. One shaky period v Sheffield in the league loss, but cannot fault the guy for being first rate when called upon.

Fournier - 8/10 - Great going forward, best skating D man on the team, sometimes overrun and slightly prone to getting caught out.

A Hotham - 8/10 - Why only 8, we'll his attacking exploits are well documented, but he does have a tendency to give the odd heart-attack when caught in possession. As per last year, +/- would be an interesting read. Wouldn't change him though.

Louis - 9/10 - Best D man on the team for me. Tough, no nonsense, rarely makes a mistake. Quality player.

S Hotham - 7.5/10 - Was expecting a bit more to be honest - didn't do much wrong, but didn't seem to settle as much as Louis.

Richardson - 8/10 - Solid, great scoring streak at the start of the season then dried up, but was super solid on 'D'.

Batch - 7.5/10 - Decent enough, form seemed to drop off in last few months.

Ulmer - 9/10 - Pants for first few months then WOW! ... Very classy player, intelligent and clever.

Martin - 9/10 - Solid season, not as productive as last year, but a more even spread in the team this season. Did seem to drop off a bit prior to the playoff in going on quite a run of games with 0 points!

Asselin - 9/10 - Top quality signing. Well done Wally (got any more lined up?). Unbelievable skill level, could definitely play at a higher level.

Benti - 9/10 - Wasn't too sure at the start, but when settled looked very solid. Splitting him and Ulmer up seemed to work wonders (for them both)!

Lordo - 10/10 - Fantastic season as a player and coach - END OF.

Doucet - 6.5/10 - Grrrr, a bit too hot and cold for me. No goals for ages, then a spree, then none. Frustrating to watch and no doubt also frustrating for him personally.

Morrissette - 6.5/10 - Didn't quite to it for me this season. Maybe the captaincy weighed on him, but looked to be under some serious pressure before his injury.

Kearney - 6/10 - Not a huge amount to judge the guy on, but did ok.

Haddad 11/10 - Fantastic season, my player of the year. Awesome battler and a top bloke.

Culligan - 8/10 - This is a tough one. A top utility player, but a jack of all trades and master of none? Would like to see him (team injuries permitting) settled into a specific role to see what he can do.

Brine - 9/10 - Gone by Xmas according to the Estate Agent! ... Great season, worked his nuts off night after night - unsung hero.

Myers - 7.5/10 - Seemed to start the season very slowly then picked up. Won his fare share of face-offs which I presume was the main aim in signing him.

Jonesy - 6/10 - Difficult to rate due to lack of ice time. Didn't do anything wrong - chipped in with a few important goals in the latter part of season (especially Challenge Cup away game in Belfast).

Piggsy - 6/10 - See comments above for Jonesy (excluding goals).

Bordy - 7/10 - Didn't quite do it for me, a few times he should have stamped his authority on games and seemed but reluctant to get involved (enforcers for yesteryear would have been straight in). Maybe too much expected due to his reputation. Apart from Fitzgerald being a pussy all year, I don't quite buy the 'ice presence' being enough.

TK - 8.5/10 - Not bad, bit of a mare with Mega Monday and the Shirt Raffle, but quite humourous on occasion.

Owners 10/10 - Couldn't fault them.

IAW - 5/10 - Dodgy seats, dodgy lights, dodgy hand-stickers, queues etc - atmosphere a bit lacking in a fair few games - but hey that's for the fans

Season overall 9.75/10 - Thanks all.
Since you asked, here it is. And it's based on performance and skill set and not emotion like you did

Bowns- 9- Has some issues with players coming off the wing to the net, don't think he was as good as last year because many nights he didn't have to be but having said that, he was big when he needed to be

Murdy- 7.5- Can't give a goaltender a higher score when he only played in 6 or so games. He did play well when called upon but needs to play more to give a more accurate and higher score

Fournier -8 - Played better this year than last year. Still prone to mental mistakes and defensive lapses, reason why he doesn't kill many penalties. Doesn't see the ice well and relies on his skating which is NHL level. Good shot from the point and hopefully he continues to improve. Good one , 2 punch on the left side with A.Hotham .

A.Hotham- 9/9.5- Wasn't a great start to the season but not bad either . Had some lapses with the puck where he should have moved it quicker but that came with playing too much. With the 6 defencemen that the Devils had this season, there was no reason why other D couldn't or shouldn't have played more. ( Louis and S.Hotham) The last 25 games or so he scored almost 40 points. That was among the league best during that period and for a D, that's insane. Needs to reduce the amount his shots get blocked .When you're voted top denfenceman in the league for the 3rd year in a row and league player of the year for 2016-17, which is picked by coaches and GM's I believe, then you have to score him with the top number.

Louis- 8- . Good solid defender that skates well for a big defenceman. Tough, shows flashes of offence and should have played more minutes. Doesn't shoot the puck enough from the blueline and his move down the boards in the offensive zone gets predictable . Not the best defenceman on the team but a very solid player. Improvement over C.Hudson, not in points but certainly competed at a higher level in other areas

S.Hotham- 8- Without question he's the best passing defenceman on the team. Makes great first passes out of the zone and has a very good shot from the point. Same as Louis, should have played more. Good defensively . Play more consistent is needed but a good improvement over T. Hendrikx. Not even close in toughness but better in all other areas

Richardson 8/8.5- Good solid defenceman who works well with A.Hotham . Does most things well but unfortunately you could see that he was hurt in Dec to Feb but continued to play. Kudos for that. His finish of the season mirrored his start but his middle was hampered by injuries. Minutes need to be reduced as well and that would make him better when he's needed the most

Batch-7- Big, strong and tough when he wants to be. Should show it more. Skates well and can play well when he wants but seems to lack confidence sometimes. Makes the same mistakes as he did last year and the year before. Needs better one on one coaching, clearly he's not getting it. Has a big upside but needs to be coached. Lacked concentration during many games so he needs to work on the mental side to the game.

Ullmer- 8- Good solid 2 way center. Even though the points weren't there until Dec he was still a very reliable center who plays a 200 foot game. Last 25 games, he put up lots of points. Good on faceoffs, kill penalties and is rarely caught out of position. Very good # 2 center behind Martin

Martin 9- Best 2 way center in the league. Does everything well, great work ethic, should have been the captain this year. Also needs a winger that's a proven goal scorer. He's had so many wingers the last 2-3 years that he needs someone who compliments his game

Asselin- 8- Good player but needs more consistency . Has very good hands and hockey IQ and is a very solid contributor. Probably needs more offence and plays well on the defensive side of the puck

Benti- 8- Very good work ethic, plays hard most nights. Good point producer .Excelled with Martin and along with Asselin, you have 2 very good left wingers on your first 2 lines. Not afraid to go to the hard areas. Very good addition

Morrisette- 7- Played hurt for much of his year, didn't have a very good year offensively before he was hurt and seemed to play afraid this year. As a captain you need to lead by example, no matter how good you are in the room and not sure if that's true or not. Is there a place for him next year, I don't know, only he and the coaching staff know for sure

Lord- 8 as a player. Inspirational play this year but not suited for top line because of his skating. Chipped in for some important goals and plays tough. Blocks shots, kills penalties well and works extremely hard
8.5 as a coach- Had a very good team that got them through many games on talent and experience. Forechecking systems many times, left defence out to dry by having 3 forwards below the goal line. Neutral zone coverage needs works and managing some players icetime needs work. Needs to trust more players in certain situations. Runs a good program and will only get better with experience

Doucet-7- Works hard but is very inconsistent offensively . Clearly centers had a hard time playing with him. Good hands but couldn't find a line to play on after Christmas. Not great defensively so probably a change of scenery is in order

Haddad- 8/8.5- Was average until Dec and something clicked. Big body who's skates well and hard to move from the puck. A north/ south skater who doesn't see the ice well. He can kill penalties well and can play all 3 forward positions. Also scored some big timely goals this year especially in the 2nd half. Hopefully he's found his game and look forward to seeing him play next year like he did the last 4 months.

Culligan- 7.5- Number is a little low but had some injury issues this year and didn't seem to fit into a specific role. Great team player who coaches love because of his versatility . If he can stay injury free next year, if he's back, it would be nice to see him get slotted into a position that he can play consistently . Solid defensively who can add offensively as we've seen with a few highlight goals.

Brine-7.5/8- Solid 4th line center that could play 3rd line if he added more offence but not sure that's possible. Works hard, skates well, good on faceoffs and is a team player. Good penalty killer who doesn't take too many nights off and unfortunately his linemates weren't a big help.

Myers- 7.5/8- Perfect 3rd center that is very reliable in his own end. A big body who makes him tough to play against. Didn't start the season well but picked it up in Dec. Not a surprise that when he picked up his work ethic, his play improved. Kills penalties well and good on faceoffs. Chips in every now and then offensively but that's not why he's there.

Bordy- 7- Limited in what he does but he does work hard. Regardless of what you say , he was a deterrent out there. There's a reason why Fitzy and others weren't as effective as they normally would be. Should he have fought more ? Maybe, but not many would take the invitation.

Jones - 5/6- Didn't really add much if any to the team. Worked hard but clearly time has come

Piggy-5/6- Worked hard, good team player .

Overall performance 9.5/10- When you win 3 out of 4 trophies you deserve the high number. Dream season that should help in recruiting

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #13
Since you asked, here it is. And it's based on performance and skill set and not emotion like you did

Bowns- 9- Has some issues with players coming off the wing to the net, don't think he was as good as last year because many nights he didn't have to be but having said that, he was big when he needed to be

Murdy- 7.5- Can't give a goaltender a higher score when he only played in 6 or so games. He did play well when called upon but needs to play more to give a more accurate and higher score

Fournier -8 - Played better this year than last year. Still prone to mental mistakes and defensive lapses, reason why he doesn't kill many penalties. Doesn't see the ice well and relies on his skating which is NHL level. Good shot from the point and hopefully he continues to improve. Good one , 2 punch on the left side with A.Hotham .

A.Hotham- 9/9.5- Wasn't a great start to the season but not bad either . Had some lapses with the puck where he should have moved it quicker but that came with playing too much. With the 6 defencemen that the Devils had this season, there was no reason why other D couldn't or shouldn't have played more. ( Louis and S.Hotham) The last 25 games or so he scored almost 40 points. That was among the league best during that period and for a D, that's insane. Needs to reduce the amount his shots get blocked .When you're voted top denfenceman in the league for the 3rd year in a row and league player of the year for 2016-17, which is picked by coaches and GM's I believe, then you have to score him with the top number.

Louis- 8- . Good solid defender that skates well for a big defenceman. Tough, shows flashes of offence and should have played more minutes. Doesn't shoot the puck enough from the blueline and his move down the boards in the offensive zone gets predictable . Not the best defenceman on the team but a very solid player. Improvement over C.Hudson, not in points but certainly competed at a higher level in other areas

S.Hotham- 8- Without question he's the best passing defenceman on the team. Makes great first passes out of the zone and has a very good shot from the point. Same as Louis, should have played more. Good defensively . Play more consistent is needed but a good improvement over T. Hendrikx. Not even close in toughness but better in all other areas

Richardson 8/8.5- Good solid defenceman who works well with A.Hotham . Does most things well but unfortunately you could see that he was hurt in Dec to Feb but continued to play. Kudos for that. His finish of the season mirrored his start but his middle was hampered by injuries. Minutes need to be reduced as well and that would make him better when he's needed the most

Batch-7- Big, strong and tough when he wants to be. Should show it more. Skates well and can play well when he wants but seems to lack confidence sometimes. Makes the same mistakes as he did last year and the year before. Needs better one on one coaching, clearly he's not getting it. Has a big upside but needs to be coached. Lacked concentration during many games so he needs to work on the mental side to the game.

Ullmer- 8- Good solid 2 way center. Even though the points weren't there until Dec he was still a very reliable center who plays a 200 foot game. Last 25 games, he put up lots of points. Good on faceoffs, kill penalties and is rarely caught out of position. Very good # 2 center behind Martin

Martin 9- Best 2 way center in the league. Does everything well, great work ethic, should have been the captain this year. Also needs a winger that's a proven goal scorer. He's had so many wingers the last 2-3 years that he needs someone who compliments his game

Asselin- 8- Good player but needs more consistency . Has very good hands and hockey IQ and is a very solid contributor. Probably needs more offence and plays well on the defensive side of the puck

Benti- 8- Very good work ethic, plays hard most nights. Good point producer .Excelled with Martin and along with Asselin, you have 2 very good left wingers on your first 2 lines. Not afraid to go to the hard areas. Very good addition

Morrisette- 7- Played hurt for much of his year, didn't have a very good year offensively before he was hurt and seemed to play afraid this year. As a captain you need to lead by example, no matter how good you are in the room and not sure if that's true or not. Is there a place for him next year, I don't know, only he and the coaching staff know for sure

Lord- 8 as a player. Inspirational play this year but not suited for top line because of his skating. Chipped in for some important goals and plays tough. Blocks shots, kills penalties well and works extremely hard
8.5 as a coach- Had a very good team that got them through many games on talent and experience. Forechecking systems many times, left defence out to dry by having 3 forwards below the goal line. Neutral zone coverage needs works and managing some players icetime needs work. Needs to trust more players in certain situations. Runs a good program and will only get better with experience

Doucet-7- Works hard but is very inconsistent offensively . Clearly centers had a hard time playing with him. Good hands but couldn't find a line to play on after Christmas. Not great defensively so probably a change of scenery is in order

Haddad- 8/8.5- Was average until Dec and something clicked. Big body who's skates well and hard to move from the puck. A north/ south skater who doesn't see the ice well. He can kill penalties well and can play all 3 forward positions. Also scored some big timely goals this year especially in the 2nd half. Hopefully he's found his game and look forward to seeing him play next year like he did the last 4 months.

Culligan- 7.5- Number is a little low but had some injury issues this year and didn't seem to fit into a specific role. Great team player who coaches love because of his versatility . If he can stay injury free next year, if he's back, it would be nice to see him get slotted into a position that he can play consistently . Solid defensively who can add offensively as we've seen with a few highlight goals.

Brine-7.5/8- Solid 4th line center that could play 3rd line if he added more offence but not sure that's possible. Works hard, skates well, good on faceoffs and is a team player. Good penalty killer who doesn't take too many nights off and unfortunately his linemates weren't a big help.

Myers- 7.5/8- Perfect 3rd center that is very reliable in his own end. A big body who makes him tough to play against. Didn't start the season well but picked it up in Dec. Not a surprise that when he picked up his work ethic, his play improved. Kills penalties well and good on faceoffs. Chips in every now and then offensively but that's not why he's there.

Bordy- 7- Limited in what he does but he does work hard. Regardless of what you say , he was a deterrent out there. There's a reason why Fitzy and others weren't as effective as they normally would be. Should he have fought more ? Maybe, but not many would take the invitation.

Jones - 5/6- Didn't really add much if any to the team. Worked hard but clearly time has come

Piggy-5/6- Worked hard, good team player .

Overall performance 9.5/10- When you win 3 out of 4 trophies you deserve the high number. Dream season that should help in recruiting
Glad you had the Niagra's to reply. That's the beauty of sport - everyone can have a different perspective and opinion. Hey, if Lordo has any difficulties this coming season perhaps you can put him back on the right track :)