Doug Clarkson letter/statement

Hat off to Doug, very honest and accurate account of the state of UK Ice Hockey. The problem though is to change it would likely cause the end of hockey in the U.K. The people involved are happy with the situation, it's providing them with everything they need. There is not one club in the U.K. that couldn't walk away from the sport, not one without a smug smile, it's a situation that is not protected. When so few hold all the cards, who would increase their liability, risk themselves financially for the long term good of the sport. The reason is ice hockey may not have much of a future to warrant investment, including player development, who outside of fans in the U.K. would care if GB hockey was no more.
Which is why the powers that be will shrug off this honest accurate opinion. The only thing UK hockey understands is cash and when that starts to change they will simply walk away knowing that was a nice little earner whilst it lasted.

Ejercito Rojas

Totally agree, Doug was always a player who gave 100% every game and a good guy in the room, one of the best I'm lead to believe so his opinions on the game are worth consideration.
Can't see the different governing bodies getting together though, too many vested interests I fear.
His opinion on the polar opposites of the professionalism of certain organisations having a detrimental effect on the perception of our league is BANG ON!!

He is spot on and fair play for writing that!

IMO, wouldn't it be better to have introduced a quota of an u21, u23 and u25 (one of each at each age grade).

My reason being, that you could then hold onto players and develop them without reducing the standard drastically and the players move up the age grades ultimately replacing the possible retiring/moving on over 25 brits.

Then you would only have to recruit one u21 per season because I can see teamsome recruiting 3 u23s who are 22-23 for one seasons therefore having to replace them each/ ever other season?

Thoughts? Just my 2p :)

Bazza

He is spot on and fair play for writing that!

IMO, wouldn't it be better to have introduced a quota of an u21, u23 and u25 (one of each at each age grade).

My reason being, that you could then hold onto players and develop them without reducing the standard drastically and the players move up the age grades ultimately replacing the possible retiring/moving on over 25 brits.

Then you would only have to recruit one u21 per season because I can see teamsome recruiting 3 u23s who are 22-23 for one seasons therefore having to replace them each/ ever other season?

Thoughts? Just my 2p :)
Great idea about the split between the ages....

Last edited:

Ocko

I like the U23 rule but to me it hasn't been thought out.

If you sign an U23 player you should be able to keep them past the age of 23 and still be considered an U23 player for as long as they remain with the club or at least a prolonged period. There aren't many players who are ready for EIHL level hockey in their teens so the majority will be signed around 20-22 years old. At this point you don't have long enough to develop them into top players and they will likely be discarded as soon as they are over the age limit.

Teams should be rewarded for their development of players, so if you have a player for over a full season and commit to their development for further seasons then your U23 quota should be reduced at least for a few seasons as an incentive to stick with the same young players and give them a chance to develop into their prime years. As soon as that player leaves or is released then your amount would return to normal.

With the rule they way it is we are just going to get a load of players turning 23 who get dumped by clubs because they aren't as good as the already 5 established British players or imports. No player is anywhere near their best at 23 years old so what happens between 23-27 (or later)? Teams are meant to get rid of their stronger already established British players for a youngster still learning their trade? It isn't going to happen, you're just going to give a kid a chance for a brief experience and to tick a box of 'developing British players' rather than a career in the sport, because you have to.

kingmo19.1

Great letter, well written and thought provoking.

If I were Dougie, I wouldn't hold my breath regarding a formal response.

(Might get an informal one though via Simmsey!)