2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

terry hunt

When people say "the club" expected more from Bordy I think that is definitely a very broad statement. My personal opinion is that despite what's been said in the press, Lord had him on a lead. I get the impression the general team talk this season was something like "I don't care if that guy took your wife home last night, you don't take 2 minutes." Todd obviously wanted more from him. I got the impression that in THAT Coventry game, Bordy was annoyed with Lord and showed him exactly what he could do.

Bordy is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, a total team guy and a great presence in general. Despite all that, at the supposed wages of 1K+ per week, I think we would be better off getting another Joey Martin-esque player. Can't afford to spend that kind of money on your tough guy (especially if the coach has him on a lead)
I also believe this.I noticed several times when Bordy wanted to go after players Lordo called him from the bench.He used to sit in the sinbin fuming with frustration.
I dont like signing goons just to beat up people but in recent years i have seen some of our players targeted and in my opinion deliberately
injured.When Ware and Macwilliam played this didnt happen and certainly not with Voth even though i thought he was nuts.
Several specific incidents stay with me from recent times that we should have done something about.
Keefe hitting Faulkner's knee that virtually ended his career.The injury to our NHL goalie that began the end of Gerard Adams at Cardiff.
The worst in my view was the preplanned and advertised attack on Tyson Marsh this should have brought about a bench clearance.I dont think it was a coincidence that when Bordy was signed Janssen suddenly found he had a job elsewhere.
Sadly it is still happening the targetting of Hotham,Bowns and others.The disgraceful bench clearance by Belfast that was not punished and now the attack on Bowns that may have won the game for the Steelers.
I understand and agree with Lord's methods but sometimes he must do more to protect his players.
It now looks like the deliberate injury to Bowns could impact on the success of GB in the world championships

Finny

As James said, Fife and Dundee want a Scottish conference with 4xH&A. The rest of the club's aren't so keen, but Fife and Dundee are rumoured to have threatened to leave if they don't get it. Although in his interview with the BBC I think the Stars owner let it slip that they've already re-signed a number of their team.

I'd be fine with them having a Scottish conference. But they only need play them 3xH&A. That would give a 50 game league season instead of the 52 we have now and 4xH&A would be 56.

Have Hope#35

As James said, Fife and Dundee want a Scottish conference with 4xH&A. The rest of the club's aren't so keen, but Fife and Dundee are rumoured to have threatened to leave if they don't get it. Although in his interview with the BBC I think the Stars owner let it slip that they've already re-signed a number of their team.

I'd be fine with them having a Scottish conference. But they only need play them 3xH&A. That would give a 50 game league season instead of the 52 we have now and 4xH&A would be 56.
50 Game Season and a best of 3 or 5 Game Series in the Q.Final of the Playoffs would be a much better scenario for the forthcoming season! More league parity with 3 Home/3 Away and then 2 Home/2 Away out of Conference... DO IT!!!

Finny

Sadly we are unlikely to ever have a Best of Series as it means teams (especially those in Arenas) having to book and pay to hire their venues and might not need to use it.

It's sounding increasingly likely that it'll be three conferences of four teams with a 4xH&A and 2xH&A split. And so to ensure fairness you'll have to make the non-Scottish conferences as even as possible. Which is a shame as I like the "Conference of Fire" idea with Devils, Blaze, Lightning and Flames.

To keep it even and remotely geographical the best solution I can come up with is:

Scottish: Braehead, Dundee, Edinburgh, Fife
Northern/Midlands: Coventry, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield
Southern/Irish: Belfast, Cardiff, Guildford, MK.

Belfast probably wouldn't be overjoyed at the prospect of trying to sell tickets for 8 games against two new teams. But based on the "If you all hate the Devils clap your hands" chant from the playoffs they now see us as a big rival.

What I would then do is change the format of the Challenge Cup. Four groups of three teams with the top two from each progressing to the QFs.
And to ensure more variety of fixtures (so you don't play your conference rivals a 5th time) I'd draw the groups so each group has one team from each conference.

e.g:
A:Braehead, Coventry, Belfast
B: Dundee, Manchester, Cardiff
C: Edinburgh, Nottingham, Guildford
D: Fife, Sheffield, MK

Which if my maths is correct is a guaranteed 30 home games season - the same as we had this year.

Have Hope#35

Sadly we are unlikely to ever have a Best of Series as it means teams (especially those in Arenas) having to book and pay to hire their venues and might not need to use it.

It's sounding increasingly likely that it'll be three conferences of four teams with a 4xH&A and 2xH&A split. And so to ensure fairness you'll have to make the non-Scottish conferences as even as possible. Which is a shame as I like the "Conference of Fire" idea with Devils, Blaze, Lightning and Flames.

To keep it even and remotely geographical the best solution I can come up with is:

Scottish: Braehead, Dundee, Edinburgh, Fife
Northern/Midlands: Coventry, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield
Southern/Irish: Belfast, Cardiff, Guildford, MK.

Belfast probably wouldn't be overjoyed at the prospect of trying to sell tickets for 8 games against two new teams. But based on the "If you all hate the Devils clap your hands" chant from the playoffs they now see us as a big rival.

What I would then do is change the format of the Challenge Cup. Four groups of three teams with the top two from each progressing to the QFs.
And to ensure more variety of fixtures (so you don't play your conference rivals a 5th time) I'd draw the groups so each group has one team from each conference.

e.g:
A:Braehead, Coventry, Belfast
B: Dundee, Manchester, Cardiff
C: Edinburgh, Nottingham, Guildford
D: Fife, Sheffield, MK

Which if my maths is correct is a guaranteed 30 home games season - the same as we had this year.
I appreciate the issues with a Playoff Series for Arena's but I'm sure a midweek Game 3 could be penciled in just in case it's required - That would only result in one maybe game! A Sat/Sun Series with Game 3 on a Wed/Thurs if required? At least it would take away the daft goal difference scenario.

Kal

I've heard Edinburgh are also with Fife and Dundee in the Scottish conference or we walk threat. I've also heard they've said that they want to be subsidised for away travel by the bigger teams if things stay as they are.

Have Hope#35

I've heard Edinburgh are also with Fife and Dundee in the Scottish conference or we walk threat. I've also heard they've said that they want to be subsidised for away travel by the bigger teams if things stay as they are.
It's a shame they aren't as passionate about their marketing... Then maybe they'd fill up their rinks, giving them some of the money they require! But then marketing and publicity is often our big downfall as a League.

august04

It's a shame they aren't as passionate about their marketing... Then maybe they'd fill up their rinks, giving them some of the money they require! But then marketing and publicity is often our big downfall as a League.
Spot on. This sabre rattling/threatening talk from the Scots (bar Clan) doesn't sit well with me when they appear reluctant to get their own houses in order. You have to question whether Dundee and Edinburgh should be in the league anyway given their pitiful attendances, even if Dundee's season on the ice was remarkable. They just can't be sustainable with those crowds. If we could get one more new team in the next couple of years, the league should call their bluff. If they go, then we'd still have 10 teams.

Foxy

Dont they already have a scottish conference...........

Ive enjoyed the standard of hockey last season and call me selfish but i dont particularly want to take a step backwards which i can see will probably be happening with the new roster make up

BostonBart22

I also believe this.I noticed several times when Bordy wanted to go after players Lordo called him from the bench.He used to sit in the sinbin fuming with frustration.
I dont like signing goons just to beat up people but in recent years i have seen some of our players targeted and in my opinion deliberately
injured.When Ware and Macwilliam played this didnt happen and certainly not with Voth even though i thought he was nuts.
Several specific incidents stay with me from recent times that we should have done something about.
Keefe hitting Faulkner's knee that virtually ended his career.The injury to our NHL goalie that began the end of Gerard Adams at Cardiff.
The worst in my view was the preplanned and advertised attack on Tyson Marsh this should have brought about a bench clearance.I dont think it was a coincidence that when Bordy was signed Janssen suddenly found he had a job elsewhere.
Sadly it is still happening the targetting of Hotham,Bowns and others.The disgraceful bench clearance by Belfast that was not punished and now the attack on Bowns that may have won the game for the Steelers.
I understand and agree with Lord's methods but sometimes he must do more to protect his players.
It now looks like the deliberate injury to Bowns could impact on the success of GB in the world championships
I dont think it was keefe that injured faulkner , cant think of his first name ,his surname was stewart, he turtled then and moved on the end of season...

wildthing74

Yep Greg Stewart one of the biggest shit houses to ever play in this league and his hatchet job on Faulks was a disgrace.
Heard he was a horrible guy to go with that too. Stole Mac's ability to get to the net and find spaces he was never the same player after.

Don't be so silly! Out of Janssen's 322 recorded fights, only 35 have been against opponents smaller than him. Had multiple fights against 6'8" opponents, in the shape of John Scott, Mitch Fritz and a few others. If Cam had've stayed, he'd have fought Bordeleau without a doubt. They both love fighting and both respect their opponents more often than not.

Any player who gets ESPN knocking at their door with a hefty wage to do a radio show in your home town, with your home town NHL team.. You'd be stupid to turn it down.

kingmo19.1

A reliable source has informed me of Faryna & McGrattan to Devils !

Would be delighted to see Faryna in a Devils shirt. McGrattan I understand has fallen out with Panthers hierarchy. Me thinks Bordy isn't coming back - especially as it seems he's been on a leash most of the season.

Last edited: