All Star question - where is Joey Haddad???!

bdevil

So by that statement you'd swap Lord, benti, asselin, ulmer and haddad for Roy, scarsella, Riley, beca and Pitt?

Making it into an all star team doesn't mean they're a perfect fit or even good enough for every team in the league, it just means they've have a good season and/or put up decent numbers for their team.

bdevil

No. By that statement, I meant that Scarsella is clearly a very good, respected player in this league. I was not referring to anyone else, particularly the ones in the second team. 'Had a good season'? If you're implying that Scarsella is a one season wonder, that's way off the mark. Of course not every hockey player is a perfect for every team but I'm sure that he would put up very good numbers for any team in the EIHL. It's convenient you picked the likes of Ulmer, Haddad and Asselin in your example to dismiss my post rather than the likes of Bordy, Morrisette, Doucet or Kearney (all of whom are not at Scarsella's level, especially this season).
He's played 2 seasons in this league, both in the weaker conference. I'm not doubting he's a good player but good enough for us, I'm not convinced.
I mentioned those players because they are our top two lines and it sounded like you were saying that anyone who gets into the all star team would get into any team. The fact you were calling for posters to be banned and calling them trolls for having an opinion I feel supported my assumption.

ASHIPP

Look closely and you'll see that teams near the top of the league are certainly not averse to aquiring consistent players from the so-called 'weaker' conference or teams - Rutherford (Capitals) to Giants; Quesnelle (Blaze) to Giants ; Doucet (Stingwrays/Panthers) and Salters (Clan/Panthers) to Devils.

Oh and I nearly forgot, a fantastic young British goalie joined Devils from Stingwrays.....Bownsey is now the best in the league and GB No1.

Coaches and Gms are those qualified to recognise whether players are the right fit to fulfil different roles on their team.

Fans can hope and admire based on what they see - but their opinions have little or no influence on the recruitment process.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Yes, the guy playing for the 7th seeded team has just set up two goals against the top seeded team in the semi-finals. This is the guy some' armchair coaches' don't think is good enough to play for our club.....there will be many head coaches admiring and appreciating Vinnie Scarsella's skills this weekend.

fridaysfingers

After reading the Scarcella debate and having a bit of spare time on my hands, i did a breakdown of the league points he had scored against the teams from the two conferences. It's in no way for or against or a comparison because i haven't and have no intention of doing it for any other players!!!

Against Gardiner Conf teams he scored an average of 1.5 PPG in 32 games
Against Erhart teams it was 1.1 PPG in 20 games

Didn't score any points against Panthers in the 4 league games they played.

I'd take him but not sure how far down the line up i would start swapping him for someone. Actually i do and it's on the 3rd line, not sure if i could go higher.

august04

He played well today and has had a great season for Dundee but he's a skilled, top 6 forward in the roster, playing PP minutes etc. He's not really going to do a job on your 3rd or 4th lines, not that grinding kind of player. Post Ulmer and Bentivoglio being split and the way they've played since then, I still wouldn't swap one of our top 6 forwards (Martin, Bentivoglio, Lord, Ulmer, Haddad, Asselin) for Scarsella. It's not just about skill and attacking play, but defensive responsibility and all round contribution. And next year, we are going to need to upgrade if we can on what we have had this year. I think most would agree there's a big difference between the conferences and the scoring charts are skewed because of it, as are the all star line ups. Back to the title of this thread - it's unbelievable that Joey Haddad isn't in one of those first and second all star line ups, yet players like Beca and Pitt are because they've probably scored a shed load of points playing the weaker Gardiner teams.

fridaysfingers

I was going to add that it's not all about the points but forgot!
I make you right about him not being a 3rd line type player. Would be wasted, wouldn't be suited to the role and wouldn't sign for a team to play 3rd line hockey anyway.
I think Joey Haddad is basically a victim off conference politics. They probably didn't want the picks too Erhardt heavy.

Johnnybravo1927

Certainly a good player but nowhere near our first 2 lines and wont want to play 3rd line I'm sure. Worth remembering we have Brine on the 3rd/4th line and he is absolute quality. So my answer is yes he is good enough but no he isnt a step up from what we have

RedDevil17

A few years ago I would've loved scarsella. He's rapid and a great player and is also the type of player who attracts crowds. However, since we're in the CHL next year we need upgrades and there are far better players out there and as one of the other posters said he would be wasted. He's a quality player but it's about your general game, not just offensive qualities. Joey Haddad needs to be in that all star team somewhere because he's more than earned his place.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

A few years ago I would've loved scarsella. He's rapid and a great player and is also the type of player who attracts crowds. However, since we're in the CHL next year we need upgrades and there are far better players out there and as one of the other posters said he would be wasted. He's a quality player but it's about your general game, not just offensive qualities. Joey Haddad needs to be in that all star team somewhere because he's more than earned his place.
Sums it up..... actually if you ask me to pick one Dundee player to play for the Devils it would be Faryna, nasty, gritty player that could do a job for us

Mooney#16

Had a conversation with the old man couple of weeks ago about if another EIHL team was to announce the signing of a current Devil for next season which would upset you most.

We both went for Haddad.