DEVILS v Giants - Sat 25 (FO 7pm) & Sun 26 (FO 6pm) Mar 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

James

Administrator
Let's keep perspective, were still Champions and have exceeded all expectation. I'd say the Giants would've left tonight's game more deflated than us, they barely beat a team missing it's starting NM and both the league's best D man and forward, along with others.
This is pretty much my sentiment too. The second best team in the league only managed a narrow loss to us when we played 1/2 a team. I don't think one game, which we clearly could have given ourselves a much better chance to win if we wanted will dent momentum or belief nor will one game of running a short bench cause much problem. We've not really run short all year so players will be able to handle it. I didn't expect a lot of effort last night but obviously would have liked a win. Still it was worth it to hand Sheffield third place :D

Samael

You've got to judge the team by the season. I appreciate how fans might feel short changed but surely (newbies aside) you're in this for the long haul. If not... maybe just come to the playoff games where each game counts.
I brought a newbie to the Sheffield game (in Sheffield) after we won the challenge cup 2 yeas ago. I promised him serious action as the final was so close and both teams hate each other. We got tanked 11-0. The team were hungover, appalling and unprofessional in my view. I was fuming but the weekend before I saw them lift the challenge cup with my family for the first time in a long time. Yes I was fuming, seriously fuming as I'd made the time, effort and cost to travel. Felt hugely let down and also embarrassed in front of a newbie but that isn't my only memory of that season. We're there to win and we won a cup that year.
This is about a seasons performance. When the Canadian owners sit down with Lordo and review his objectives for the season I don't think games like this will feature. The bloke has over achieved. Over the course of a season this team has been excellent value for my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think this team has over achieved. Because the glory years under Lawless are so long ago fans have come to accept mediocrity. Fortunately that is not a word in the Calgary 4's, TK's or Lord's vocabulary and l firmly believe the objective this season was to win everything. You can tell that they invested in a team and believed in a coach that would win. We should all enjoy the success this year which was down to savvy recruitment last summer and owners with ambition. We are rightly the envy of every club in the EIHL and long may it continue, let's keep it up and be the first club to win all four.

#BELIEVE

drainage

Sorry I didn't realise we all had to run our usernames through you, Drainage.
Where did I say you did ? I simply commented on the somewhat odd appearance of people using players names and posting in a similar fashion? You defend your right to post what you want and yet don't allow others the same courtesy ?

I can only imagine I touched a nerve ....

terry hunt

As i understand it last nights results mean.
Q/Final Devils v Storm if we win the S/Final we will be playing the winner of the Clan v Stars, if we win we meet Giants/Flyers/Panthers or Steelers.Looks suspiciously like clever coaching.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
No one beaten up last night Bordy looked to have a go at a willing Nickerson till Lord called him off.
So no suspensions, injuries and a pretty deflated Giants team who didnt look very happy with their result.
Clever coaching could give us a chance of a Grand Slam.

E.D.S.

I don't think this team has over achieved. Because the glory years under Lawless are so long ago fans have come to accept mediocrity. Fortunately that is not a word in the Calgary 4's, TK's or Lord's vocabulary and l firmly believe the objective this season was to win everything. You can tell that they invested in a team and believed in a coach that would win. We should all enjoy the success this year which was down to savvy recruitment last summer and owners with ambition. We are rightly the envy of every club in the EIHL and long may it continue, let's keep it up and be the first club to win all four.

#BELIEVE
I understand your point of view and I'm sure if asked, the owners, Lord and the team would want to win it all but would they really set that as an objective? I guess only they know. I'm sure the league was the main goal given how close we've been these last few years but a firm objective to win it all, or even the treble would seem a tough ask. It's just a great achievement. It's not just what we've won but how we've won it. Fantastic.

Jonesy83

As i understand it last nights results mean.
Q/Final Devils v Storm if we win the S/Final we will be playing the winner of the Clan v Stars, if we win we meet Giants/Flyers/Panthers or Steelers.Looks suspiciously like clever coaching.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
No one beaten up last night Bordy looked to have a go at a willing Nickerson till Lord called him off.
So no suspensions, injuries and a pretty deflated Giants team who didnt look very happy with their result.
Clever coaching could give us a chance of a Grand Slam.
https://eliteleague.co.uk/the-eihl/

Semi finals are still ranked by seeding order according to this (towards the bottom), it says;

'Seedings for the semi-final and final will be determined by the original quarter-final ranking, so the highest-placed team left in the playoffs will be ranked as the highest seed'

pjj365

In other words

If we and Clan win we will be seeds 1 & 2 for Semis so will not meet

If we win we face Steelers or Panthers in the Semis

Is this right?

Devil_Abroad

tonights game was a bit of a waste of time. Devils threw a few hits but seemed to lack all intensity for most of the game.

The situation with the called off goal was silly. the goal judge tuerred on the light, the devils start celebrating, the ref waves off the goal, then the giants score on the ensuing breakaway. Surely play should have been called dead as soon as the goal judge turned on her light, even if it was turned off within a few seconds. From where i was sat in Block 3 behind the goal, it looked like it went in and was pulled out by Murphy
From the side where the puck came to rest it nudged the post with 2/3 of it outside the goal line. Goal judges have a very difficult job (been there and done it) and having the thumb on the trigger you can occasionally (very very occasionally even with our judges with years of their experience) twitch when you see the puck's flight crossing from one end of the goal to the other looking as though it is going in.

In that situation where the referee clearly sees the puck and adjudges it not to have crossed the line play continues. To be fair to our guys they kept on playing to the whistle and didn't stop; unfortunately the three were caught up deep in the zone and couldn't get back.

Players know they have to play the whistle not the goal buzzer. The referee I believe did the right thing and allowed play to continue until the next stoppage when he can then decide to chat to the goal judge; unfortunately the next stoppage was a goal against.

This of course is only my view and in no way should be taken as gospel; my opinion.

As for the game? We decided late on to stay another night and come and watch the game. Yes I was disappointed to find key players rested however looking at the bigger picture I want that play off trophy so if guys need the rest for whatever reason I'll buy into it.

The best thing to come out of it for me is that Steelers play Panthers in the quarters so there should be plenty of tickets available for the final for those Cardiff fans yet to buy them if we get there of course! Also, tougher games to get to final for Steelers.

If we beat Storm, which is not a given as they play the trap especially well in our building whilst they are built for the small pad at there building, we then have the Clan. They're hot and cold but I believe we are better all round and therefore hopefully we should make the final.

Then it's all about who turns up on the day.

4/4 - we can do this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Clearly playing with an eye on playoffs after long hard season; not great from a spectator's point of view but no big deal.

I thought Murdy did make some good saves but also thought his positioning was questionable at times. Anyone else agree?

Zone entries weren't great tonight but with Hotham and Martin scratched, that's understandable.

I think the side have more than earned the right to take their foot off the gas going into the playoffs after the season they've had.

These are pros and winners. They'll pick it back up next week.
Like the post.

On Murdy, thought he did make 3 or 4 amazing saves. Regarding his positioning, I did think once or twice he was caught too deep in the crease. However, I am not a past player so I might be a little harsh?

According to the Elite League play-off criteria we will meet the lowest placed seed left in the semis. It is difficult to know who that will be until the semis are confirmed. It could be Dundee (7th seed) if they beat Braehead (2nd seed) or possibly Fife (6th seed) if they beat Belfast (3rd seed). I think the most likely outcome though is that we will play the winner of Sheffield (4th seed) or Nottingham (5th seed).
That is my interpretation of the criteria.

Bazza

From the side where the puck came to rest it nudged the post with 2/3 of it outside the goal line. Goal judges have a very difficult job (been there and done it) and having the thin bench on the trigger you can occasionally (very very occasionally especially with our judges with years of their experience) twitch when you see the puck's flight crossing from one end of the goal to the other looking as though it is going in.

In that situation where the referee clearly sees the puck and adjudges it not to have crossed the line play continues. To be fair to our guys they kept on playing to the whistle and didn't stop; unfortunately the three were caught up deep in the zone and couldn't get back.

Players know they have to play the whistle not the goal buzzer. The referee I believe did the right thing and allowed play to continue until the next stoppage when he can then decide to chat to the goal judge; unfortunately the next stoppage was a goal against.

This of course is only my view and in no way should be taken as gospel; my opinion.

As for the game? We decided late on to stay another night and come and watch the game. Yes I was disappointed to find key players rested however looking at the bigger picture I want that play off trophy so if guys need the rest for whatever reason I'll buy into it.

The best thing to come out of it for me is that Steelers play Panthers in the quarters so there should be plenty of tickets available for the final for those Cardiff fans yet to buy them if we get there of course! Also, tougher games to get to final for Steelers.

If we beat Storm, which is not a given as they play the trap especially well in our building whilst they are built for the small pad at there building, we then have the Clan. They're hot and cold but I believe we are better all round and therefore hopefully we should make the final.

Then it's all about who turns up on the day.

4/4 - we can do this!

Totally agree - was directly in front of us in block 7 - puck did not cross the line....fans in blocks 8/9/10 who did not see that were booing and shouting at officials but referee was spot on....

When they were all shouting GOAL they got their request but unfortunately at the wrong end!!

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

I was disappointed as i imagine a lot of others were. For the average fan, this tumble weed performance tonight is what they will remember in the off season. Seems pointless to go to next saturdays game when it isnt decided until Sunday, and by the same virtue, dont want to book with RAT for the Sunday away game, as it could be effectively over after the Saturday game. People will just be left remembering this lackluster performance for the months to come.
We know why Lord put out the team he did last night so key players could be rested. So we knew the team would be up against it. Sure, some of the play was very poor like the passing etc. Yes, the intensity seemed to be missing. Yes, spectators paid good money to be entertained; me included.

However, I'm pragmatic. We've won 3 trophies so far and going for a fourth. In winning those 3 trophies we played just as poorly in previous games with a full roster whilst at other times playing awesome hockey.

Why shouldn't you want to go on Saturday? Last home game. Full roster. Trying to qualify for the POFW against a team who sets up to play the trap and does it extremely well. Our guys will want a building that's rocking and supporting them. So please do go. Yes the second game is in Manchester, but if we take a 4 or 5 goal lead then surely that puts it practically to bed before the Sunday game?

Devil_Abroad

In other words

If we and Clan win we will be seeds 1 & 2 for Semis so will not meet

If we win we face Steelers or Panthers in the Semis

Is this right?
Hmmm, I had read it the other way originally. Now I have doubts!

Maybe I will tweet Craig

Have Hope#35

Hmmm, I had read it the other way originally. Now I have doubts!

Maybe I will tweet Craig

There are two teams we definitely won't meet in the Semi Final... They are Braehead (seed 2) and Belfast (seed 3) if Dundee beat Braehead we play them, if they don't and Fife beat Belfast we play Fife! However if both Braehead and Belfast Win then we will play the Winners of Sheffield (seed 4) and Nottingham (seed 5). This is all assuming we Win, which is the most important part of the whole Criteria!!!

Devil_Abroad

There are two teams we definitely won't meet in the Semi Final... They are Braehead (seed 2) and Belfast (seed 3) if Dundee beat Braehead we play them, if they don't and Fife beat Belfast we play Fife! However if both Braehead and Belfast Win then we will play the Winners of Sheffield (seed 4) and Nottingham (seed 5). This is all assuming we Win, which is the most important part of the whole Criteria!!!
I'm in agreement with the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my understanding too ! Braehead are 2nd seed because they won their conference despite finishing 5th overall. Anyway, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves , remember last season's playoffs ! Need to focus on the Storm and making sure we don't slip up !

Totally agree - was directly in front of us in block 7 - puck did not cross the line....fans in blocks 8/9/10 who did not see that were booing and shouting at officials but referee was spot on....

When they were all shouting GOAL they got their request but unfortunately at the wrong end!!
I too was sitting level with the goal and as far as I could see it didn't go in. You summed it up perfectly with what happened next. As if shouting "goal" is going to change the ref's mind.

Thread starter #139
I hate to disagree but my understanding is that the semifinals are seeded according to LEAGUE position not play off seedings.

So Davils will play the winner of the Clan v Stars game unless Clan win and Flyers beat Giants then we play the Flyers.

If I have that wrong I apologise

PS

we have to blow out the STORM first

E.D.S.

I hate to disagree but my understanding is that the semifinals are seeded according to LEAGUE position not play off seedings.

So Davils will play the winner of the Clan v Stars game unless Clan win and Flyers beat Giants then we play the Flyers.

If I have that wrong I apologise

PS

we have to blow out the STORM first
That's my understanding too.