We Are Number One

Devil_Abroad

Seems to be 2 things in place here. One, economics, one less salary and 2, one less import means promoting more GB players. Having one less player might not seem like much but there's a huge difference. For teams that run into injury issues it's a nightmare . For teams that don't it's very taxing on the players having to play more minutes, and that's when injuries happen. With the increase in the talent levels the last 3 years, I wonder if this will stunt the growth of the league ? 4 line hockey is used by most leagues now so I will be interested to hear the reasoning behind the decision if in fact they go in that direction.
Doesn't promote more Brits I don't think if rosters cut down to 19? Think we have to cut a Brit too? Wonder if this is to stop the big budget teams cornering all the Brit talent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ocko

Unbelievable this thread has barely reached 3 pages. We have a tonne after every loss, we win the league for the first time in 20 years for some fans, but for most the first time ever. Bizarre.

Have Hope#35

Seems to be 2 things in place here. One, economics, one less salary and 2, one less import means promoting more GB players. Having one less player might not seem like much but there's a huge difference. For teams that run into injury issues it's a nightmare . For teams that don't it's very taxing on the players having to play more minutes, and that's when injuries happen. With the increase in the talent levels the last 3 years, I wonder if this will stunt the growth of the league ? 4 line hockey is used by most leagues now so I will be interested to hear the reasoning behind the decision if in fact they go in that direction.
I appreciate what you're trying to say but if Rosters are reduced to 19 with 1 less Import then it will have the opposite effect on promoting GB Players IMO. Assuming teams sign 2 NM and 6 D'men that only leaves the potential for 11 Forwards which will mean that there's not a full fourth line... As things stand this is the line that most of the Brits get an opportuity on, this decision could lead to them getting less Ice Time or being surplus to requirements.
Assuming we retain Bowns, Murdy, Batch, Ritchie & Myers + the 13 Imports (3Euro) that leaves only 1 remaining spot on the Roster which means one of our current fourth line players is out of a Job or in the Stand.

trapped

Surely the match day roster needs to remain the same size, if they reduce the number of imports, then the number of brits increases. That is the simple way of promoting GB talent. I cannot understand why you would reduce match day roster.

Have Hope#35

Surely the match day roster needs to remain the same size, if they reduce the number of imports, then the number of brits increases. That is the simple way of promoting GB talent. I cannot understand why you would reduce match day roster.
To prevent the so called bigger teams from running 4 Top Lines when the smaller/newer teams in the league can only afford to play 3 Line Hockey and don't have the Top Brits either. A Roster of 17 will allow you to play 3 Line Hockey with 6D and 2 NM and means you only need 4 Playing Brits (3 if you consider most backup NM are 1 of the Brits).

A team like Edinburgh may only have a Roster of 17 or 18 as things stand, whereas we have the full 22, next season Edinburgh would sign the same but we can only have 1 or 2 more...

trapped

I appreciate the implication of running 3 lines instead of four, but does that not mean that fewer brits play at the smaller teams as well, as there are less spaces to fill overall?

If we assume all import slots are used by all teams, then only 4 brits play at smaller teams, where as at the bigger teams (who are likely to play better hockey and be in a winning environment, which is easier to promote young brits into) are then reducing the number of brits in their match day roster.

With the current numbers, but with fewer imports, more Brits should play in the elite league. The aim of leveling the playing field with a smaller roster is admirable, but I don't think it achieves the promotion of brit players.

p.s. Amazing achievement by this team and it has been a privilege to watch this year. I started watching in the WNIR, then went most weeks when I lived in Cardiff and now get back as often as I can. The standard of hockey and the experience we have as fans, is incomparable to the days of years gone by. The only pain is now ensuring I book early enough to get a ticket, but long may that be a problem if we keep winning!

Rempel16

To prevent the so called bigger teams from running 4 Top Lines when the smaller/newer teams in the league can only afford to play 3 Line Hockey and don't have the Top Brits either. A Roster of 17 will allow you to play 3 Line Hockey with 6D and 2 NM and means you only need 4 Playing Brits (3 if you consider most backup NM are 1 of the Brits).

A team like Edinburgh may only have a Roster of 17 or 18 as things stand, whereas we have the full 22, next season Edinburgh would sign the same but we can only have 1 or 2 more...
The issue with this is that Edinburgh have a roster of 17 or 18, and will spend their budget on the same 17 or 18.

We will likely receive a bigger budget, but even if our budget remains the same, we have that to spend on less players. Therefore, if spent wisely we will have 17 or 18 players all of top line quality. So whilst the depth is diminished, our three lines will potentially be good enough to be Edinburghs top line, so the gap in scorelines is going to increase.

Have Hope#35

The issue with this is that Edinburgh have a roster of 17 or 18, and will spend their budget on the same 17 or 18.

We will likely receive a bigger budget, but even if our budget remains the same, we have that to spend on less players. Therefore, if spent wisely we will have 17 or 18 players all of top line quality. So whilst the depth is diminished, our three lines will potentially be good enough to be Edinburghs top line, so the gap in scorelines is going to increase.
I agree... I'm not saying the idea is any good, just explaining the clear thinking behind it! 20 is probably the best number tbh as it gives no team any in game spare players during a 4 Line game, the Brits get the opportunities and the top budgets are still stretched.

SteveKing

Thread starter #49
Well I certainly threw this thread off topic with what I thought was a fairly innocent comment about keeping this team together!!! My apologies for that. Why don't we leave the roster size discussion for a couple of weeks from now after we hopefully wrap up the first true grand slam in league history. For now, let's put the focus where it should be which is on this incredible team that we have the privilege of watching for the just a few more games.

Well I certainly threw this thread off topic with what I thought was a fairly innocent comment about keeping this team together!!! My apologies for that. Why don't we leave the roster size discussion for a couple of weeks from now after we hopefully wrap up the first true grand slam in league history. For now, let's put the focus where it should be which is on this incredible team that we have the privilege of watching for the just a few more games.
Steve - not for the first time you've held our hand in the dark and pointed the way. Thanks for stepping in again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazza272

We have already put to bed the wait for a League Championship, here's to the next challenge of finally winning the playoffs in Nottingham!

Winning is a habit, and it's a great time of year to pick it up.

sjkelly07

I have been following the Devils for just over 20 years, but this is my first year as a season ticket holder, wow what a year it's turning out to be, two trophies in the bag and chasing two more.

As a fan of the Elite League Winners (that sounds good :)), I would like to show my appreciation for Steve, Brian, Craig, Kelly, Todd & Lordo, who along with their backroom staff and the players themselves, (some may have moved on, but some have been with us for the duration), have over the last three years lifted this club from darkened depths to the promised land. Thank you CARDIFF DEVILS - CHAMPIONS!

Foxy

Oh Steve what have you done.... Its been picked up on the Cage forum too lol

What British Talent? The majority of Brits (except the likes of Dowd, Clarke, O'Connor) would be unable to make the roster of any ECHL team. The EPIHL is for developing brits not the EIHL. Reducing the import limit will just benefit the top teams, but overall the level of hockey will decrease too.

As STEVE KING suggested, lets leave any roster size/changes till after we win the treble. Now moving on an keeping inline with the title of the thread lets throw a few questions out there for each supported to answer:-

Favorite moment so far this season? -
Favorite Fight? Bordy having his revenge on KLOTZ infront of home crowd.
Best Goal? - Cardiff vs Edin which led to a bench clearance.
Biggest Hit:- Sorry but I think its Fitzgerald on Andrew Hotham (only because of his helmet landed in the 3rd row)-
Best Save:- Bowns's numerous 1 on 1 glove saves.
Funniest Moment:- (Hmmmm), probably the day that KLOTZ woke the bear up. His face was a picture after he realized who he had sticked and his shorts had a brown tinge in them the next time he came to the IAW.

Very good point. I forgot about the Bordy game change hits in that game. It was ironic as I had only written the night before that Brody needs to start hitting in our rink to put them off their game and boy did her do it. That was one of the biggest game changing periods i have seen.

Gazza272

haven't got the video but the Bordy Hit on Franzon of the Steelers has to be my number one. He stalked him for an absolute age and got him to leave his feet! you could just anticipate how big the hit was going to be.

voth26

To many to mention but Bordys hit on a Fife player recently, Ulmers Cc winning goal, many of Ben's saves, some of the interplay hockey has been awesome, and for the majority of the time the never say die attitude of the team