Devils v Steelers - 05/03 @ 16:00 - CC Final - Chat/Updates

pjj365

One thing I did think was odd (not sure if anyone can shed any light on it)....the trophy presentation seemed non existent and amateurish. I've never seen a club captain present himself with the trophy. I'm sure it's tradition and the norm to present the trophy to the winning team. Was there no one around from the Elite Towers to do it? Was Cardiff too far for them to go? it seemed all a bit strange.
Tony Smith was in the arena but guess his Steelers hat won out and he was taking tissues to his team to dry their eyes
Should have presented the cup though

Bazza

WHAT A WIN!!!!

Amazing performance - score flattered Steelers IMO.

Hopefully more to come.

Well done to all the players and the people behind the scenes. #proudtobeadevil

mazza03

All I can say is "WOW" what a game, I was hiding behind my clapper when steelers had the puck (not often) and got a bit of a throat this morning. Well done to the Devils, so proud of you. All of you.

Gough60

WOW
what a game. well done devils (only 1 team in it from what i saw)
every man played his part. Mom could have gone to any of the team. even Taz.
has any one else noticed the cup isn't the same as 2yrs ago. Dont really care now that its in our hands for
another 12 months.

I feel like a zombie. Headache, sore throat and all around crappy.....and I watched it at home! Well deserved all 'round and a wicked game.
League next please lads!

Gazza272

WOW
what a game. well done devils (only 1 team in it from what i saw)
every man played his part. Mom could have gone to any of the team. even Taz.
has any one else noticed the cup isn't the same as 2yrs ago. Dont really care now that its in our hands for
another 12 months.

I believe Nottingham got to keep the old one for winning it so many times.

Diafol

I was wondering the same thing.

I thought they'd kept the original trophy (the one we won in 2006) which is why there was a new one commissioned (the one we won two years ago).

Does this mean if the Panthers win it next year they keep this one as well ? !

Bazza

I was wondering the same thing.

I thought they'd kept the original trophy (the one we won in 2006) which is why there was a new one commissioned (the one we won two years ago).

Does this mean if the Panthers win it next year they keep this one as well ? !
I reckon Matt Myers has been allowed to keep it.....

Finny

Fantastic atmosphere created by both sets of fans throughout the game but especially at the start.

Cardiff started the better with Sheffield seemingly wanting to tire their opponents physically. A strange plan considering it was Sheffield that played the night before. And when two of their players went for big hits off the puck it gave the Devils and odd man rush. Nobody was there to pick up Fournier and he fired into the roof of the net for the opener.

Cardiff had chances to double their lead but a series of powerplays helped Sheffield got back into the game and eventually they found their equaliser. The referees seemed to be letting as much go as possible but then a harsh Too Many Men penalty was called despite nobody touching the puck as it went past the boards. Steelers scored on the resulting PP and finished the period the stronger.

From the start of the second period though the Devils dominated. Sheffield barely got out of their own zone and it was left to Mustukovs to stop the Devils equalising. It was starting to look like it might be one of those frustrating nights but with a couple of minutes left in the 2nd a shot from the point was tipped by Louis and into the net.

Third period was pretty much the same story. Sheffield had dropped to two and a bit lines and their tiredness was starting to tell. Devils were forcing them into turnover after turnover in their own zone and three minutes into the final period Ulmer scored to give the Devils the lead.
If any team looked like scoring again it was Cardiff. Sheffield's best chance came on the PK when they were gifted a breakaway but Bowns made a huge glove save to tip the puck over the bar.
Sheffield got another fortunate PP with three minutes remaining but it was one of the worst PPs I've seen. I'm not sure they managed a single shot on target during it, much to the annoyance of their fans.
Mustukovs was pulled for the final minute and Sheffield did create a couple of chances but the Devils managed to clear the zone with 5 seconds left for a deserved victory.

Just a note on the game, I thought the reffing of the final was shambolic. To award a holding call on us with 2 minutes left was a joke. It was blatantly obvious that the Steeler was holding back Cul on the blueline to stop the 2 on 1 going the otherway. The "tripping" call on Louis in the first was more a case of a player diving out of the way of getting hammered. Probably a good thing because he wasn't going to wake up if he collided, it was huge.

We were sat just behind the benches and the Steelers had 6 men on the ice twice for about 10 seconds before a defender realized. They also got away with changing players on an icing call. I've honestly never seen such piss poor bench management from their coaching and reffing alike.

Oh and a last note, Mustukovs put in one of the finest performances i've ever seen in this league. He was unreal all night. He really didn't deserve to lose.

James

Administrator
Did Pering actually make any calls? I didn't notice. There is no point having a 2 man ref system if its used like 1 ref and 3 linesman.

Finny

I've not seen Pering much this season but when I have he seems to like to let the game flow and only call those he has to.

Plus the benefit of two referees is that it automatically cuts out the off-play nonsense that one referee would miss.

Devil_Abroad

Wow - I remember the saves by Bowns but what a triple save before we go down the other end for the Fournier goal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to say, how good was Moose for the steelers? If it wasn't for him, the scoreline would have been embarrassing for them! Considering Thommo moaned about his team being tired, why did he then shorten the bench so much? They were exhausted in the third and the devils skated rings around them!