Giants v Devils - 08/02 @ 19:00 - CC SF 2nd Leg - Chat/Updates

Devil_Abroad

If the facial injury was as a direct result to a check to the head? DOPs have stated that any such hit does not have any kind counter argument, but surely the receiving player has a duty of care to himself though, not to put himself into such a position, whereby he could increase the risk of receiving such a hit ie ducking or otherwise putting his head in a lower position that it would normally be. The responsibility cannot be wholly on the player giving the hit. That is unfair and unjust.
I agree that a player should always be aware of what's around him and try not to place himself in a bad position but they all make mistakes or don't have the time to look up before a hit. Personally I don't think Boxhill could do much else than take the hit. It's unfortunate that he was injured but the hit from the camera angle we saw last night looked on face value like a hit to the upper body with a natural follow through. Smith saw it, he was closest to it, and called nothing. If Boxhill was injured by the hit and this is what the linesman conveyed then I'm assuming Smith then changed it to illegal hit to the head. I;m not a professional player nor an on ice official so I don't know whether that's a call a ref should make.

If I was Bordy, Lord or Kelman, then I'd be unhappy about it.

I think Smith would have given the extra 2 to Keefe had Bordy not skated straight at him dropping the gloves at the same time. You do have to hand it to Keefe, unlike all their other 'enforcers' with regards to Bordy he drops them when he thinks the other team have taken liberties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devils 100% deserved that win, more heart, speed and desire than the Giants all night long in every department.
As for the Bordeleau hit, it was his high and targeted the head causing injury. I expect a ban because of him being classed as a repeat offender. Fair play to Keefe for stepping up against a far bigger man, giving away 8" in height and over 2st in weight did what we have become to expect from our captain. Even got a pat of admiration from Bordeleau after the fight

Ocko

If the call checking to the head call was fair, and I don't think it was, I'll still take it. That rattled the Giants. Keefe took the fight, and kudos to him for doing so, but he got a beat down and then was anonymous after that. For the apparent 'heartbeat of the team', which is constantly put out over the Irish Sea, almost seemed to stop beating after that.

Even though Bordy was out of the game his effect was evident. It silenced the crowd, rattled them and put doubt in their players seeing their tough guy and 'heartbeat' get beat and energy guy Boxhill wearing a fishbowl all within 12 minutes.

Finny

If I was Keefe I'd be very annoyed at my team mates. Regardless of whether it was a bad hit or not (video not conclusive for me), if Keefe doesn't step up then play continues and no call would have been made.
Keefe stepped up to Bordy probably knowing he was going to get beat. But he put the team ahead of himself and ended up earning his team a 5 minute powerplay.
He then had to watch from the bin as his team lacked any desire to score or take control of the game. The period of play from us going 1-0 up to 4-0 was some of the most pathetic play I've seen from a Giants team in a long time. Only a couple of their players can really hold their heads up after that and I actually felt sorry for the Giants fans having to watch it.

As a Giants fan, it was hard to watch. It certainly wasn't the same team that's been playing on the road or in our last few home games. Lacked heart, intensity and we couldn't even get our passes going. It wasn't the same team.
Fair pay to the Devils, they punished the Giants on every error and deserved the win!
I don't think the knocks at keefe are warranted...he doesn't much ice time these days and after he came out of the box for fighting..I seen him scream at the bench "waken up!" Or somthing to that effect.
I know there's been some banter back and forth especially from the walser incident...but I hope you guys lift the CC...very good team with grit and skills. Fun to watch.

Good luck!

Devil_Abroad

As a Giants fan, it was hard to watch. It certainly wasn't the same team that's been playing on the road or in our last few home games. Lacked heart, intensity and we couldn't even get our passes going. It wasn't the same team.
Fair pay to the Devils, they punished the Giants on every error and deserved the win!
I don't think the knocks at keefe are warranted...he doesn't much ice time these days and after he came out of the box for fighting..I seen him scream at the bench "waken up!" Or somthing to that effect.
I know there's been some banter back and forth especially from the walser incident...but I hope you guys lift the CC...very good team with grit and skills. Fun to watch.

Good luck!
Has Keefe been carrying an injury? He seems to be an energy player so someone who'd be icing regularly?

Good luck!
Nice one

voth26

Great win, Louis had a stormer! that Bordy fight really showed his doubters that he's still got it, theres a moment where you can see Keefe realise just how outclassed he is and panic a little. Smith was terrible again and not just for us, that illegal equipment call was a bit harsh too and that Bordy check was no way a game penalty. It was softer than the Clan incident but he'll probably get at least two games for being a repeat offender, although i think it should be downgraded but DOPS would never do that!

The best bit of this win is the seed of doubt we've planted in the Giants mind, losing a lead so badly in their own barn it'll take some doing to get rid of that for the double header next week!
Yep you can see it in Keefe's eyes as both players spin round it's a oh shit this is going to hurt look lol

voth26

What an absolute cracker of a game, top job boys! To give Belfast such a drubbing in their own barn while missing players and coming from behind, just WOW! I thoroughly enjoyed the game tonight! I think out of all the new additions to the team this season, Louis has probably been my favourite (Asselin close 2nd) and would gladly sign him up for the next 3 years! (Also can we sign his mom if that's how he plays when she's around?) What a top player!!

There are still negatives though, but if I did it after a loss certain posters would get on their high horses.

RE: CJ - Just because he scored his first goal of the season doesn't automatically make him good enough. In fact, CJ would probably be below average at EPL level. I still don't understand why he is here, token academy player perhaps?

Bowns or Re-Bowns I should probably call him, seems to love coughing up 2nd opportunities for the opposition. Throw in the many soft goals he has let in, followed by the inconsistency when his head drops. I'm sad to say it because I was a massive fan of Ben, but having lost the league by 2 pts or so the last two seasons, and with his inconsistencies, I feel that his position is so valuable that we should genuinely think about an upgrade for next season and go for a Brit outskater instead - Ben Davies?

Brine is so slow, every time he got the puck I felt deflated, he's lucky Joey Martin sorted out that breakaway for him!
Really this after the winning a tight semi against a very good team, jesus what do you for a day job motivational speaker by any chance!!
Brine played the right shot I'm guessing murphy was expecting a hard shot, instead he bounced it off the pads and joey picks up the rebound. with regards to Bowns yeah he's giving rebounds but tell me any nettie in the league that is not doing the same, they all are and that's includes wiikman, owens, whistle, fallon etc.

voth26

fantastic results boys, against all the odds you pulled it back, oh and the hit [ or push by bordy ] will be downgraded, high sticks at most, now if it was a check to the head higgins would still be on his butt seeing stars. smith gave the pen after being pressurised by giants players and fans, which has happened a lot with him this season, think this will be his last season reffing tbh.
I noticed Higgins was well enough to skate from the blue line and score though!! the fact he came out to play abeit with a bigger visor says he wasn't no-where near being injured and that for me is bad sportsmanship on behalf of the giants

voth26

Devils 100% deserved that win, more heart, speed and desire than the Giants all night long in every department.
As for the Bordeleau hit, it was his high and targeted the head causing injury. I expect a ban because of him being classed as a repeat offender. Fair play to Keefe for stepping up against a far bigger man, giving away 8" in height and over 2st in weight did what we have become to expect from our captain. Even got a pat of admiration from Bordeleau after the fight
Lets be fair Bordy is 6-6 boxhill is 5-7 at best, you can see from the way Bordy comes in his body is straight on towards Boxhills body and hits him hard I give you that but hits him pretty much chest on and momentum takes boxhill to the ice. If Nickerson or any other teams player laid a hit like that I wouldn't have an issue with it to be honest and I would expect some to do what keefe did, Smith didn't make the call the lino did!!, I thought linos only called offside or minor pens. just asking because that's my understanding I'm happy to be corrected tho.

That may well be the case but Smith was looking right at the hit.He didn't call a penalty and therefore should have overruled the lino. Surely you only take notice of them if you are partly sighted or don't see the hit?

Devil_Abroad

That may well be the case but Smith was looking right at the hit.He didn't call a penalty and therefore should have overruled the lino. Surely you only take notice of them if you are partly sighted or don't see the hit?
One linesman was level with him outside the blue line whilst the other was on the opposite side on the ice further away. I fail to understand what more they could see other than any injury to Boxhill? The world of the stripeys can be very strange at times.

My problem with all of this...............is that notwithstanding what DOPS decide, the call on the Ice after the check was nothing. The highlights clearly show that the ref did not deem the hit as illegal. He was in a good position to see it (without needing any input from his linos) and no arm was raised. After the fight it suddenly became a game penalty.

The Ref may have been wrong on the initial call.....but you should not then be able to change your decision on the fly. Yes...change it on review but not a minute or so after you have made the on ice call.

pjj365

And as Smith was so quick to call to call illegal equipment when a Giants player lost his helmet he is obviously on the ball so he was right not to call Bordy but allow himself to be overulled by linos

So the question is why did not linos tell him players are allowed to breath after a hit causing helmet loss

Alll the linos fault LOL

Milky

The standard of play and the quality of players has increased massively over the last few seasons. The games against Belfast and Sheffield especially have been great spectacles and a fantastic advert for the league (as an aside, any chance you Belfast fans would mind if we put in a cheeky bid for Higgins???;) That guy is seriously good and would excel in our team!).

However, the standard of officiating is terrible. I never wanted to be that guy who's always moaning about the ref's but across the board (for all teams) it is majorly letting the league down. I went to the triple header and the recent away game in Braehead and thought it was bad up there, but Dean smith has been even worse (especially of late). When Hollywood Darnell is in town as well you never know which Jekyll and Hyde is going to turn up.

The only decent Ref i've seen who has consistently been good is Schmeikel (? sorry not sure about the spelling). If Bordy gets a ban for that check then the game will soon become a drab, sanitised exhibition sport as these type of NHL players won't bother coming here and that will be a shame.

The Bordy & Keefe incident is exactly what hockey should be. We'll argue that it was a perfectly well executed hit (and it was:)) , Belfast fans will take the opposite view, Keefe stands up for his team (quite rightly whether it's because he thought it was a bad one, or to galvanise his team to step up) and bravely goes with Bordy. Bordy wins the fight quite easily but that's not the point.

It will be a sad day if this is lost in the game. Hard hitting, skilful hockey with player accountability please. None of this tic tac toe euro hockey rubbish.