Derrick Walser ...

Finny

I'm gobsmacked the Giants haven't issued a PR apologising for their Coach's actions.

For a club that values respect and pride so high I thought it would have been the first thing they would do this morning. Walser had no respect from me to lose but the Giants silence is sadly for them.

Why didn't he step back up to the blue line then once he'd realised his "mistake"? He had plenty of time to do that and the whole rink was booing him so don't tell me he didn't know what he'd done. It was a deliberate, bush league play from a disrespectful idiot. Chris, you keep telling yourself it was a genuine mistake. Having been at the arena and seen it on the night, I'm not buying any of his apology. No doubt someone from the Giants told him to say sorry in the aftermath, while it was all kicking off on social media and in the game reports. His actions still need to be dealt with by the EIHL in my opinion.
his actions were dealt with on the night with his 10 minute misconduct, that's the maximum penalty that can be given for this under the rules.
Bordeleau also left the line before the end of the anthem to, but no complaints/penalty for that.

your example is completely different in every aspect, plus this is the reason why no anthems are played in Belfast, hence the statement of "In the land of the Giants, everyone is equal"
IMO Walser was wrong for doing this, but the ref gave the only penalty available...end of. He has issued an apology for his actions, if people don't want to accept that then that's up to them. But calls on some social media platforms for him to also be fined and/or banned are just ridiculous
Though he can be as yes he was given a pen on the night but rules state a that the league can look in to if they want to

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

DevilDom

I'm certain this was gamesmanship / mindgames in game 1 of 6 in the series by Walser. You could tell that by the stupid grin on his face as he skated around whilst the anthem carried on. As others have said, if it was a genuine mistake he had plenty of time to go back to the blueline and acknowledge the mistake, but he didn't. My bet is that he didn't anticipate the level of reaction he would get from the crowd and referee and as such has hastily thought better of it post game. It's a shame he didn't get the same reaction on the night from any of our players.

pjj365

I replied to a tweet that it looked like the bench coach was signalling him to stop - may or may not be the case

But DW "liked" it

Surely if it was an accident or whatever he would have denied this or at least apologised (again) that he did not see this. By liking it suggests that this was a correct interpretation thus devaluing his apology. He seems to have ignored his bench and carried on

august04

his actions were dealt with on the night with his 10 minute misconduct, that's the maximum penalty that can be given for this under the rules.
Bordeleau also left the line before the end of the anthem to, but no complaints/penalty for that.
Don't try to compare the two, you're just embarrassing yourself further.

Electro

An Apology used to mean something, once used by people who held respect for people and values. It's all to easy for one to apologise when one holds none of those virtues. You cannot apologise for such blatant an act of disrespect, you can apologise for serving white wine with red meat if your wife failed to inform you the fish she was going to buy was no longer available and failed to tell you she'd bought Filet Mignon, but to purchase white just to be different, then apologise, no utterly unacceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

An Apology used to mean something, once used by people who held respect for people and values. It's all to easy for one to apologise when one holds none of those virtues. You cannot apologise for such blatant an act of disrespect, you can apologise for serving white wine with red meat if your wife failed to inform you the fish she was going to buy was no longer available and failed to tell you she'd bought Filet Mignon, but to purchase white just to be different, then apologise, no utterly unacceptable.

Sorry, I have another Cantona moment. I've read this many times and all I can say is that I'm now hungry.......sorry

august04

Having seen the highlights, it looks worse than on the night and it was bad enough then! Utterly disgraceful. That was no accident/mistake.

pjj365

It does look very deliberate

No break that anyone could assume the end of the anthem so no excuse

Also on Bordy - he breaks as soon as the crowd start cheering. Yes just before the end (and it irritates me but that might be another thread) but consistent with the way the anthem has been treated for ages

Gospel

I agree his actions were deliberate. There is no way he thought the anthem was over. Having seen it again on the highlights its clear. I hope the league step in and punish him.

ASHIPP

See Simms has got involved on Twitter, Walter is proper, apparently.

Yes Simms is hardly a paragon of virtue himself. Anyone remember him calling the Panthers 'those b*****ds down the road' over the mike in a pack Steelers' game? He was made to apologise.

Simms would of course find a natural kinship with individuals who show public disrespect. He's a shameful representative of his club yet again pontificating on an event he wasn't even at.

Just saw the highlights and it makes his excuse quite laughable. Completely disrespectful and blatent mind games. Im just pissed off that we didn't win the match and kick his little rat arse at the same time
If anything could have put the fire in our players bellies it should have been that. Don't know how you can take your foot off the gas at all in a semi final. I'm starting to think is it a fitness thing rather than mental??
Once again I am completely bemused by the officiating. Totally out of their depth!!!! 3 f****ng blind mice!!

That was a move made in attempt to divert attention from the game in hand,
Although it seemed to work with the fans none of the players stepped up to 'educate him' which is unfortunate.
luckily for them Dean accepted the pile of cash tucked in his pockets and threw the game with total bum calls!
Apart from not wearing his glasses there's not really another explanation for his blatant assumptions.....

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #57
For some of you gullible folk on here,

Walser could have dragged his balls across the ice and some of you would say its an accident and unfortunate that the elastic in his pants was dodgy
Spot on. He was smiling like a Cheshire cat when skating around and didn't care. Had plenty of time to return to the blue line had it been a genuine mistake.

I think the message he was trying to imply was we can do whatever we like in this building!

Should have been sparked out immediately after the anthem finished.

A poor show by our boys in not putting him in his place.

That was not an accident. He skated around for the final 20 seconds of the anthem. He could have stopped. The guy is an arsehole. Plain and simple. Made me really angry last night. Our boys should have served him up. His "apology" is not required or wanted, as it's nothing more than a sop to pre-empt any potential disciplinary action.

If it was a "mistake" why didn't he stop??
Over the years actions by certain opposing players have infuriated me during games-got under my skin and brought pure hatred towards them. Vial, Cranston, Ross Lambert (McEwen incident) but not one of these players disrespected our anthem like he did. I have never wanted any player to get seriously hurt but last night I would of loved a Ware, MacWilliam, Voth or even a Chinn to have been there.

august04

I'm disappointed that the EIHL have failed to comment on this as yet. Not even a reprimand and a warning as to his future conduct (really heard nothing from anybody apart from Sheffield's mouthpiece who thinks he's a "proper" bloke!). I think the Devils organisation should have expressed their feelings publicly on the matter too, even if Kelman might have upset his Belfast buddies by doing so.