Derrick Walser ...

Have to say, I was disgusted at Walsers actions last night. Quite unbelievable to watch. But he has apologised, whether genuine or not,I'm not quite sure! I have to say, at the same time,although nowhere near as bad I know, I'm never that happy when Bordy skates off before the anthem has finished. Love Bordy,but to me and many others, that can be classed as disrespectful also. One of my favourite guys but just really wish he didn't do it. No excuses for either imo. Walsers actions were disgraceful last night. Would have hoped he'd have got a lot more stick than he got from the players.The fans certainly showed what they thought.! Hopefully Bordy will think twice now.

Kal

Bordy leaving the line a few seconds before the end must be a superstitious thing, I've seen it done in alot of sports even in the NHL. Maybe Walser was trying to break Bordys superstition of leaving the line first and massively mistimed it. Glad he's apologised, thats enough for me we move on now.

Moot point now given his apology, and whether anyone believes him or not is besides the point, but I was surprised that nobody on our team did anything about it. In the heat of the moment, my reaction was that somebody should have gone after him from the off and taken whatever penalty came down. In hindsight, we should have been a lot more physical with him.

Either way, Walser's just secured himself panto villain status at the IAW for future games I suspect.

As i said on the game thread.

Walser- at what point did he skate off to the center spot ? did he maybe think the anthem had finished.. as there is a slight break in it before the crescendo. once he had started to leave was too late to turn back. Surely he has more tact than that..
i did notice he went to the center spot again at the start of the 2nd. so maybe its his thing,

if he was being disrespectful then he should have had a hiding.

But fair play for being the bigger man and apologizing. that's enough for me !

Bazza

As quick as people are to moan about this maybe some of them need to also moan at those people who choose to talk through the anthem every week.

Yes it was wrong, he has apologised, move on.

PS only decent call Smith made all night IMO!

As quick as people are to moan about this maybe some of them need to also moan at those people who choose to talk through the anthem every week.

Yes it was wrong, he has apologised, move on.

PS only decent call Smith made all night IMO!
There as been posts about people talking and walking around during the anthem beore

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

bb1

Have to say the apology he issued is utter boll#cks. He showed no remorse after. A simple wave to fans and quick word in Lords ear would be sufficient. Even try and get back in line.

He played a mind game. Guy is disrespectful prick....end of.

What's more frustrating is how we found a way to lose a game we should have won comfortably

ASHIPP

Walser won't really give a toss that he's upset so many people. Rival teams and their fans are irrelevant. His only focus last night was his team getting the result they came for. They achieved that.

Imagine what would happen in Belfast if a dispected act to either faction was done
your example is completely different in every aspect, plus this is the reason why no anthems are played in Belfast, hence the statement of "In the land of the Giants, everyone is equal"
IMO Walser was wrong for doing this, but the ref gave the only penalty available...end of. He has issued an apology for his actions, if people don't want to accept that then that's up to them. But calls on some social media platforms for him to also be fined and/or banned are just ridiculous

terry hunt

Walser was brought up in Canada and has played in Canada and for Team Canada.
He has played in USA,Germany and in the KHL and now in Ireland all of these are very proud and patriotic nations.
He is the leader of the Belfast Giants an internationally known hockey club.
Whatever his reasons for doing this it is very sad and reflects badly on their organisation.

Walser was brought up in Canada and has played in Canada and for Team Canada.
He has played in USA,Germany and in the KHL and now in Ireland all of these are very proud and patriotic nations.
He is the leader of the Belfast Giants an internationally known hockey club.
Whatever his reasons for doing this it is very sad and reflects badly on their organisation.
absolute garbage...it was an individual mistake, just like when any player take a stupid penalty.

august04

David Longstaff ‏@davidlobby 4h4 hours ago
@patricksmyth not the 1st time paddy,steelers in Cardiff 1996,devils player ROBERT MILLETTE misjudged
anthem,100mph round rink, both teams

now here is a interesting quote on twitter from a former player
Millette was new to the British game (didn't last long either!) so his ignorance can be understood to some extent (if he even did it, I can't remember). Walser has played against the Devils numerous times, never done any like that before. He knew what he was doing, I have no doubt about that. If it was a genuine mistake, he had plenty of time to get back on that blue line instead of lapping his end of the ice for half the anthem.

chris592

Millette was new to the British game (didn't last long either!) so his ignorance can be understood to some extent (if he even did it, I can't remember). Walser has played against the Devils numerous times, never done any like that before. He knew what he was doing, I have no doubt about that. If it was a genuine mistake, he had plenty of time to get back on that blue line instead of lapping his end of the ice for half the anthem.
But its a mistake that can happen, yes Walser has played in Cardiff before , but it was a genuine mistake. His focus was on the game, and like I said before he probably didn't have any downtime since the Sheffield games on Sat and Sun.

He made a mistake, owned up to it and apologised for it. We all make mistakes, its part of being human. This wasn't some form of tactic, or some way to play mind games. It was a mistake from a player before a massive game. He has apolagised so lets move on and look forward to the 2nd leg.

august04

Why didn't he step back up to the blue line then once he'd realised his "mistake"? He had plenty of time to do that and the whole rink was booing him so don't tell me he didn't know what he'd done. It was a deliberate, bush league play from a disrespectful idiot. Chris, you keep telling yourself it was a genuine mistake. Having been at the arena and seen it on the night, I'm not buying any of his apology. No doubt someone from the Giants told him to say sorry in the aftermath, while it was all kicking off on social media and in the game reports. His actions still need to be dealt with by the EIHL in my opinion.