Devils v Steelers - 22/01 @ 18:00 - League - Chat/Updates

kristian

Think we were 2 down so would have done nothing for the steelers for Fiz to get involved .

He did try to fly away if i remember rightly[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Finny

Sadly I think last night our luck finally ran out against the Steelers. Actually, I think it ran out the previous night against Coventry. 5-2 up with 30 minutes to play, we should have been able to ease our way through the rest of the game and rest key players. Instead Hogarth put us on ridiculous PK after PK and we had to play at 100% for the full 60.
At times our tiredness (mental and physical) showed last night. On the other hand it looked to me like Sheffield had spent their whole week preparing for the game against us and didn't really focus on Braehead. Would also explain why they lost to them.

We started well and dominated the opening 10 minutes. Deservedly took the lead and came close to making it 2-0. Sheffield however gradually instigated their game of careful interference. Always blocking our big hitters like Bordeleau, Myers and Haddad trying to forecheck but without making it obvious enough for a penalty. Similar to the incident that led to their first goal, pulling the shirt on the hidden side so Darnell couldn't see it.

Once they scored that goal the momentum shifted drastically and to be honest I felt we were lucky to only be one goal behind at the end of the second. In the third I thought we edged the play 5-on-5 but Darnell started to call infractions he'd previously let go. Which seemed to hinder us more than it did them.

I don't think we can deny Sheffield were the better team and deserved to win. Still very frustrating though. Two wins now needed next weekend and hope that Sheffield and Belfast split their weekend in regulation.

Kal

We're still 5-1 up in the series against the Steelers, a position I wouldn't have dreamed of at the start of the season. Even with their game in hand we're still 2 points ahead of them and fortunately our last 2 games against them will be on the road where we are playing much better!

As long as we rise to the occasion against the Giants and work out our issues with the Panthers I think we're still in with a very good chance of winning the league

kristian

Seems we are not the rub of green at the moment .

Also think we are over thinking things still trying to score the perfect goal.

Hopefully it will all click this weekend and regain the confidence we had at start of season

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slartibartfast

The Steelers are not a better team than the Devils but they are faster. So its important to keep possession. Dump and chase will never work against them because they will get to the puck first. It is also important not to hold on to the puck too long in your own D zone but both Hotham and Fournier got caught out doing this. Hothams composure is something to behold but sometimes he is a bit over confident and tries to be too clever.
Steelers crowded the neutral zone making it difficult to break out. But we know that they Devils have really slick passing when they all support each other on the attack. They used it in the first period beautifully but not in the second and third.
But the league is not over yet. I believe if we play to our strengths and respect their strengths we can beat them every time.

Electro

How much of the home game losses is down to us fans

We have ambition and expectations. The fan base still have faith despite the posts on here. We do not sell out on the basis of an average/mediocre performance let alone a loss.

A number of people, me included, have commented on how the tension can sometimes be "felt" in the arena. This must communicate itself to the ice possibly leading to the lack of fluency we see at home but not away

So maybe the answer is not a change/upgrade to the roster but a sports psychologist
These are professional players with experience, this is the EIHL, a league most of them probably hadn't heard of prior to the end of there careers.

For me it's the same old same old. No changes in areas that a one legged man in an arse kicking competition could not spot.

Not much to add that hasn't been since the 1st season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveKing

Not surprising given the two teams, but it was definitely a game of ebbs and flows. Devils dominated for periods of time and then the Steelers would dominate for periods. Overall, I would say the Steelers had the better of it. I do wonder how it would have played out if the obvious penalty that directly led to their first goal had been called. Perhaps all of the bluster and whining from some other clubs has had its intended effect.

Objectively though, I actually thought our overall game was better than it has been over the last month but ran into a very good club playing with a full and motivated roster. When we skate with pace, we are the class of the league. When we sit back and try to contain, we get exposed against a team like Sheffield. The title is still in our hands so Lordo and the boys have to pick themselves up, take the positives out of that game and come out flying against the Panthers.

kettdevil1

The bottom line for me was that it was a bigger game for Sheffield than it was for us. If we had won then there would have been a sizeable gap between the top two and the Steelers and in terms of momentum I went into it thinking that the Steelers HAD to win, whilst a loss for us was not a disaster....

Disappointing not to get something out of it but there are plenty of big games coming up in the next few weeks. Next weekend will be a big test, our record against Nottingham and Fife (in their place) isn't great, so this would be the perfect time to turn that around.

terry hunt

The bottom line for me was that it was a bigger game for Sheffield than it was for us. If we had won then there would have been a sizeable gap between the top two and the Steelers and in terms of momentum I went into it thinking that the Steelers HAD to win, whilst a loss for us was not a disaster....

Disappointing not to get something out of it but there are plenty of big games coming up in the next few weeks. Next weekend will be a big test, our record against Nottingham and Fife (in their place) isn't great, so this would be the perfect time to turn that around.
If they had lost their 6th game against us i suggest it wouldnt have been a hairdryer coming out at Sheffield more a flame thrower.

These are professional players with experience, this is the EIHL, a league most of them probably hadn't heard of prior to the end of there careers.

For me it's the same old same old. No changes in areas that a one legged man in an arse kicking competition could not spot.

I think it is a bit unfair to say these guys are at the end of their careers. They may not have made the NHL or AHL but they are playing professional sport in Europe for a wage and perhaps an education. They are not making retirement kind of money but put it out there on the ice every week. Each time they do that they risk injury that will send them back home with nothing.

There wouldn't be an EIHL without these guys. Whether they had heard of it before getting a contract to play here or not.

voth26

I just don't understand how you can be so negative about everything you post, your so rude and disrespectful and clearly don't give a rats arse about anyone else. I bet your a bundle of fun to be with on a night out!!

I just don't understand how you can be so negative about everything you post, your so rude and disrespectful and clearly don't give a rats arse about anyone else. I bet your a bundle of fun to be with on a night out!!
Exactly... some guys travel the world and do what they love for a living. Giving thousands happiness but some arseholes find negativity in anything.

I will probably get a load of hassle for this but just been watching Ben's interview and what strikes home is the immense pressure the guys feel under from both themselves and the fans. There is great expectations for us to win this year and maybe this affects them when they are at home. If they lose a game the comments on here can be horrendous and I've no doubt they read them. They know they have to make some changes so maybe we should cut them some slack for a change. Discuss but play nice please - oh and I DO believe we can still do it!

As if Bowns needed to do anything more to endear himself to Devils fans... On a serious note though, I think he says some very wise things about where the team is at currently and how it gets sorted out.

Personally I think this is one of the better interviews Ice Time have ever had, so hats off to both parties for that.

RTfarty

I will probably get a load of hassle for this but just been watching Ben's interview and what strikes home is the immense pressure the guys feel under from both themselves and the fans. There is great expectations for us to win this year and maybe this affects them when they are at home. If they lose a game the comments on here can be horrendous and I've no doubt they read them. They know they have to make some changes so maybe we should cut them some slack for a change. Discuss but play nice please - oh and I DO believe we can still do it!
Agree entirely. We are fast becoming the most arrogant and entitled fan base in the league. I can't remember ever seeing so much negativity around the club/forum/social media despite the fact we are in such a strong position to win the league this year.

They'll of course be first in line to celebrate if we do win any silverware though.