Entertaining vocal newbie fan ...

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Had the 'pleasure' of sitting behind a very entertaining vocal newbie fan for the Steelers game. He had me chuckling throughout the game with some interesting observations, a few listed below:-

In the first period, he demanded a few times we 'get the enforcer line on' ! Then in the second period he was shouting 'Drive it, drive it'. Then I had 'get the enforcers on' followed by 'change it to chase and dump'.

I was half tempted to tap him on the shoulder and ask if he was Electro, but then again, he seemed to be in the company of a fairly attractive young lady :)

(Only joking Electro - before the toys hit the ceiling!!!)

Got to love that enforcer line! We was all new once i suppose and i have no embarrassment of saying i started coming purely for the fights. 5 years on i think i know all the rules lol!

Tyke Devil

I am a relative Newbie....maybe only 5 or 6 years in and I still struggle with some of finer points. Face-off rules for home/away teams for example and why players get thrown out of the face-off. TBH though....working through the nuances of the rules makes the game more interesting.

My fave Newbie comment must be "why are there only 3 quarters in Ice Hockey games?" :)

Lol I would expect to see this more with the sport becoming increasingly popular.

I was sat by one the other day who kept loudly whispering to his mate asking questions, luckily he had a patient friend

Johnnybravo1927

I have corporate seats behind me and there are always different guests. I hear some belters including " how do they know when to change, are they wearing headsets" and " he just hand balled it" and " why are they making subs so early".

I do thoroughly enjoy listening to them as more often than not they are loving every second of it and are shocked at how good it is

James

Administrator
'how do they know when to change' seems to be the most common question. I managed to get the wife to come along the other week (The BBT was too cold for her) and that seemed to be her main question :) Mind you there is a regular who has been coming for years who sits not to far from me and calls a penalty on every opposing player whenever they touch a Devil so it's not always newbies :)

Tyke Devil

And there is always the "POWERPLAY.......SHOOOOOOOOOT"!..... Usually when we are still in our own zone setting up! Quite a few regulars are guilty of this one.

I love the "Subs" comment though. Not heard that one before! :)

pjj365

All our weekend visitors have a compulsory visit to a game during the season

Sometime ago I read "Keep your eyes off the Puck" and pass on the advise, at a high level, to our guests.

I once forgot but updated our guest at the first break. The response, from this engineer, was "I worked out the shapes and systems very quickly but then they kept changing the players"

Paul Sullivan

If anyone ever wants to hear a few corkers from a previous owner who was explaining Hockey terms to potential sponsors, 'stop me and buy one'. I'll just throw this teaser out:
Short-handled goal...

My mum was down to visit from Yorkshire during pre-season and I took her to a game. "someone is going to hurt themselves" was one of a number of lovely comments she made while watching her first Ice Hockey game.

I've never understood how they know to change up. I've just gotten used to seeing them switch when they get a chance lol although tyke devil I agree buy her that Devils jersey asap!!! lol