Scottish triple header....1 game too many?

Gough60

Thread starter #1
Having just got back off 5th Scottish triple header, I would like to ask the question/open discussion, that now teams are capable of beating each other, should we look at trying to change the Scottish fixtures to two double headers. The last twice we have fallen short of a 6 point weekend through what appeared to be exhaustion. (Though the ref and one of the linos last night was was missing the other Marx brother)

august04

People have alluded to it in the game thread but 3 in 3 is utter madness now, given the parity amongst the teams. In my view we should stick to double header away weekends.

jimmy snels

Yep should be our last one. They're much better teams in Scotland now. Suits the couple of hundred fans that travel. But for me it's about what gives us best chance of winning the league. 3 in 3 simply doesn't.

Earnie

Someone asked has any other team done a triple header?
Yes: Nottingham did in mid September. They also lost to Fife (first of the three) and won the other two.
The level of play in Scotland now is much improved thus my view supports double headers in future.

ASHIPP

Triple headers always seem like fantastic fun for travelling fans.
3 consecutive nights playing intensive ice hockey with long journeys there and back seem like a killer for the team.

The third game is more often than not now a pointless game for the travelling team because of fatigue...literally zero points.

Kal

I think two doubles is the way forward. We as fans can still have a long weekend away, we just get the added bonus of doing it twice. Assuming they aren't scheduled too close together that it gets too expensive maybe have them near the start and near the end of the season? Might even benefit some people who struggle to get that extra time off work.

rocketbob

My preference both for the team and also personally is two doubles. As has already been mentioned, the days of just turning up with a full squad being enough to get 2 points in games north of the border are well behind us now.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

mazza03

I certainly think three is one too many now, two doubles would be better IMHO. Also I think maybe more fans might be able yo make the trip.

ASHIPP

The League itself made the problem even greater by not having Fife playing on Saturday night!
Can't talk about parity and fairness in the league when one team has played 3 consecutive nights and the other team only has one game. This applies to whoever is playing. Shockingly poor scheduling.

Double headers would seem fairer on teams. And what gives the team the best chance on the road is what is important.

pjj365

I would agree that the triple header is one game too far these days.

But when we crticise the leauge let's not forget that the fixtures are negotiated every summer so Todd will have sought, agreed to, lost the debate on the triple header - who knows? Given the apparent low home attendance on Friday and Saturday I suspect the Scottish teams might be reluctant to give up the additional revenue the Devils bring and be nervous that two double headers will reduce this.

Given that the fans seem to be in favour of moving away from the triple header I would hope that Todd will take this into account next year and negotiate a more equitable schedule

Wannabe2

Three games in three days really is insane, it's totally unfair on any team attempting to play that schedule, and hands a huge advantage to the opposition in game 3. Plus the extra risks of injuries through fatigue. We know hockey players are true athletes, and far from pussies, but it's a very physical sport and in my mind it's a bridge too far.

have to agree 3 games in 3 days is mad.....but at the end of the day it has to be agreed by all parties. So teams who have triple headers have them because their representative at the fixtures meeting agreed to it.

Just wanted to give some huge praise to the Devils for the 8 game winning streak. A few times we've been behind and somehow clawed our way back in. The will to win is there for all to see and bodes well down the stretch.

Regards the thread I too agree that the scheduling needs to be reviewed. Look at how big those 2 points could be come the end of the season as it has the last 2 years. Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll be in a place where decisions are based on what's best for the teams/players rather than financial constraints

GO DEVILS!!!!

Chris

Administrator
I would agree that the triple header is one game too far these days.

But when we crticise the leauge let's not forget that the fixtures are negotiated every summer so Todd will have sought, agreed to, lost the debate on the triple header - who knows? Given the apparent low home attendance on Friday and Saturday I suspect the Scottish teams might be reluctant to give up the additional revenue the Devils bring and be nervous that two double headers will reduce this.

Given that the fans seem to be in favour of moving away from the triple header I would hope that Todd will take this into account next year and negotiate a more equitable schedule
Something I was just talking to James about, the attendances for these games were...

Edinburgh - 683
Dundee - 575
Fife - 1891

Bearing in mind that there were probably 200 (or more?) Devils fans up there, those attendance figures for Dundee are absolutely terrible! The Edinburgh figure is less surprising as they never seem to get mega attendances but i'd have thought with their improved team they might be able to get more than say 450 home fans through the door on a Friday night :/

I don't see how two double headers could reduce the attendance any further for Edinburgh and Dundee :(

bdevil

Something I was just talking to James about, the attendances for these games were...

Edinburgh - 683
Dundee - 575
Fife - 1891

Bearing in mind that there were probably 200 (or more?) Devils fans up there, those attendance figures for Dundee are absolutely terrible! The Edinburgh figure is less surprising as they never seem to get mega attendances but i'd have thought with their improved team they might be able to get more than say 450 home fans through the door on a Friday night :/

I don't see how two double headers could reduce the attendance any further for Edinburgh and Dundee :(
Scotland were playing rugby Friday night next door to the rink I believe. That must have impacted the Capitals support.

Have Hope#35

Someone asked has any other team done a triple header?
Yes: Nottingham did in mid September. They also lost to Fife (first of the three) and won the other two.
The level of play in Scotland now is much improved thus my view supports double headers in future.
They did lose to Fife but like us it was the 3rd Game of 3... Dundee 3-1, Braehead 4-1, Fife 1-4! Fife doing a good job of getting the 3rd Game in Triples.