Devils v Panthers - 02/10 @ 18:00 - CCup - Chat/Updates

fridaysfingers

I first thought that it was maybe since he got KO'd that he wouldn't take his lid off, but If i remember correctly, when they fought in the NHL, Bordeleau undid his helmet strap to remove it and McGrattan wouldn't.

Gotta say i wouldn't fancy a mucky fight with either of them if that's how they play!!

Devil_Abroad

I think both Bordeleau and Neilsen are fairer in the way they approach it - McGrattan is more 'take advantage of everything and anything goes including punching to the back of the head'. Hopefully he won't start on Bordeleau tonight and allow his nose to heal - but then he likes an advantage......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimmy snels

I think both Bordeleau and Neilsen are fairer in the way they approach it - McGrattan is more 'take advantage of everything and anything goes including punching to the back of the head'. Hopefully he won't start on Bordeleau tonight and allow his nose to heal - but then he likes an advantage......

Who's to say we wont take advantage of him and do the drop the gloves shake and just skate off as he drops his? Remember vother doing it to keefe once was so funny when we scored on the resulting power play

Don't mind a staged fight every now and again. Gets fans excited and allows the fighters to lay down markers. This one seemed like Mcg obliging Neilson who wanted a shot at the champ.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Electro

I'd prefer it if we simply out played them, out shot them and ultimately Big Ern leaving with a bewildered look of uselessness that he is.

He can't do staged fights very well, in my opinion, deep down, I'm pretty sure whilst he accepts the glory of being Mr T, he would prefer to be known as a talented player whilst in the UK. I believe those observing across the pond would prefer a returning Ern with good player stats, at least.

Devil_Abroad

Don't mind a staged fight every now and again. Gets fans excited and allows the fighters to lay down markers. This one seemed like Mcg obliging Neilson who wanted a shot at the champ.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Seems from the footage of one fan that McGrattan was goading Neilson with his stick - Neilson eventually obliged and dropped his gloves and helmet - McGrattan took advantage and only dropped his gloves.

Wasn't there a rule brought in a few years ago that players are not supposed to take their helmets off for a fight anymore? I'm sure I remember one fight in the bbt being stopped before it even started due to both players taking their helmets off

ASHIPP

Is anyone actually interested in whether the Devils win this crucial CCgame using disciplined, skilled hockey or is it much more important how McGrattan performs in the fighting stakes?

BostonBart22

Is anyone actually interested in whether the Devils win this crucial CCgame using disciplined, skilled hockey or is it much more important how McGrattan performs in the fighting stakes?
agree get the win first , good lead, then if anyone wants a go let them have it, i can see lois having a go tonight to take the pressure off bordy.

arw

All assuming you know what happened.. It wasn't staged, it was McGrattan quieting down Nielson as he was trying to act the big man against smaller more skilled guys and it worked.. Nielson threw a bad hit in front of the Panthers bench and started mouthing off at players losing his rag but the officials had hold of him. It was then after the following face off that they initiated the fight. It's an additional penalty for removing your helmet beforehand and there is a rule in NA that you aren't meant to take them off so McGrattan probably thought the rule was the same and did the right thing really, nothing wrong with taking an advantage when you can as Nielson played the fool removing his helmet himself. Can imagine if he was wearing a Devils jersey you'd be saying the complete opposite to what you are now, we know how you like your 'thugs' and claim you're angels.. In regards the game, I can only see a Devils win, we're away and missing key players such as Schultz, Clarke and Lee and can see Pacl starting to not risk Wiikman as it's only a standalone CC game. I'd rather take a CC loss and come back with to Nottingham with no further injuries so can't see us taking this game at full pace personally.

Think I'd agree. When their playing careers are finished perhaps a role in eastenders would be an option?
Guessing neither of you have seen the way McGrattan prepares for a fight then? Does the little skate around whilst leaning over, pretty much every time.

As for the not taking the helmet off, it should be an additional 2 minute penalty for Illegal Equipment and McGrattan has only ever really known that taking the helmet off is a no, do it in the NHL/AHL and it's a penalty, perhaps even a 10 minute misconduct. He's 35 too, wants to preserve his health for post-hockey, nothing wrong with that. Neilson got cross-checked high up, his helmet was loose and coming off anyway, of he'd have kept it on he'd have probably been distracted by it.

-

As for the actual game tonight rather than pointless complaints about helmets. We'll be without Schultz, Clarke and Lee. Miika and Pacl will be the goaltending duo.

It's CC only so i'd assume Pacl gets the start, neither team will be particularly full of energy with both travelling and having tough games last night. It'll still be a good game though i'd expect, but giving it everything is something i don't expect from either team.

KaneDevils

Guessing neither of you have seen the way McGrattan prepares for a fight then? Does the little skate around whilst leaning over, pretty much every time.

As for the not taking the helmet off, it should be an additional 2 minute penalty for Illegal Equipment and McGrattan has only ever really known that taking the helmet off is a no, do it in the NHL/AHL and it's a penalty, perhaps even a 10 minute misconduct. He's 35 too, wants to preserve his health for post-hockey, nothing wrong with that. Neilson got cross-checked high up, his helmet was loose and coming off anyway, of he'd have kept it on he'd have probably been distracted by it.

-

As for the actual game tonight rather than pointless complaints about helmets. We'll be without Schultz, Clarke and Lee. Miika and Pacl will be the goaltending duo.

It's CC only so i'd assume Pacl gets the start, neither team will be particularly full of energy with both travelling and having tough games last night. It'll still be a good game though i'd expect, but giving it everything is something i don't expect from either team.
Well, if that's the way he fights then there's not too much to worry about. In fact, Ben Davies could give him a run for his money.
The way the fight started, it didn't seem like it was after a nasty hit to me. Little aggression, no red mist, no real anger. It just looked liked a staged fight a little bit.

Wannabe2

Well, if that's the way he fights then there's not too much to worry about. In fact, Ben Davies could give him a run for his money.
The way the fight started, it didn't seem like it was after a nasty hit to me. Little aggression, no red mist, no real anger. It just looked liked a staged fight a little bit.
McGrattan is as tough as granite, no doubt about that, has fought and beaten many many top fighters

KaneDevils

McGrattan is as tough as granite, no doubt about that, has fought and beaten many many top fighters
I know mate, but I personally don't think that fight was born out of anger from a nasty hit. If your incensed by something, you don't wait for play to stop, resume, and then the face off.
There wasn't much effort or aggression from mcgrattan considering his experience and reputation.

What a ridiculous statement. McGrattan very very rarely takes his helmet off, you'll find most NHL enforcers don't take their helmet off either. It's built in, because of the strict rules in the NHL. Doesn't stop them from battering people and KO'ing others.

McGrattan doesn't got OTT, goes about his business calmly to avoid getting wound up and taking aggression based penalties.

KaneDevils

What a ridiculous statement. McGrattan very very rarely takes his helmet off, you'll find most NHL enforcers don't take their helmet off either. It's built in, because of the strict rules in the NHL. Doesn't stop them from battering people and KO'ing others.

McGrattan doesn't got OTT, goes about his business calmly to avoid getting wound up and taking aggression based penalties.
I've not mentioned his helmet?? I think the fight was a crowd pleaser. I may be wrong but I'm not changing my mind.

arw

I've not mentioned his helmet?? I think the fight was a crowd pleaser. I may be wrong but I'm not changing my mind.
You are wrong, it wasn't a crowd pleaser, it shut Nielson up and he was quiet with hardly any ice time for rest of the game. McGrattan isn't even trying in this fight and he still won, it's his first fight in 7 months so he would be sluggish.

KaneDevils

You are wrong, it wasn't a crowd pleaser, it shut Nielson up and he was quiet with hardly any ice time for rest of the game. McGrattan isn't even trying in this fight and he still won, it's his first fight in 7 months so he would be sluggish.
A fight straight from a face off is usually a pretty good sign. We will agree to disagree.

arw

A fight straight from a face off is usually a pretty good sign. We will agree to disagree.
As I said you're wrong, the face off was the next sequence in play and the first they could get at each other after Nielson threw the original bad hit after a whistle and was threatening smaller players and McGrattan.