Panthers v Devils - 17/09 @ 19:00 - League & CC - Chat/Updates

Electro

I'm surprised it was that close a score, l predicted Panthers winning with a few more goals with us at least getting on the score board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samael

Bitterly dissapointing result. That game was like a reminder of the entire 2015/16 season; so much promise, so many chances, so little to show for it at the end. I feel for the team to be robbed of a win when they pushed so hard. I don't fancy the flyers chances tomorrow now though, l'm guessing the team will be even more gutted than the fans and want to take the flyers apart at home to make amends.

Devil_Abroad

To be fair they didn't create that many chances? Nottingham kept them mostly to the outside all night - the few chances we did have were weak shots.

We played 4 lines for half the game - juggling once we came out of power plays.

Lord sat out as the coach

Mo / Martin / Asselin
Ulmer / Bentivoglio / Haddad
Culligan / Myers / Ducet
Bordeleau / Brine / Jones (sometimes Piggott)

Bordeleau looks like he needs a couple more games to get game fit and also understand the systems with his line mates.

Panthers played D really well most of the night - 4 across the blue line - when we got in 3-4 of them crowded the player really quickly.

We must have had 70% of the puck - played 50% of the time in their end zone and their goal lead was from a tired line we had out for over a minute.

They put effort in no doubt - but not many played better than well - and we don't seem to have many ideas once in the end zone apart from recycle the puck back and forth the behind the net.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

I think DA has summed it up well, frustrating in the extreme given the amount of possession we had. Fair play to the Panthers, defensively they were excellent and they clogged up the shooting lanes all night. Oh and I hate to say this but both Lawrence and Farmer were standouts.

For us, Culli worked his backside off, forcing turnover after turnover. Also a shout for Mark Louis, solid defensively and a threat on the rush.

Not sure if there is too much analysis needed on this one, 9 times out of 10 we would have won that game sadly today was the tenth time.

Devil_Abroad

I think DA has summed it up well, frustrating in the extreme given the amount of possession we had. Fair play to the Panthers, defensively they were excellent and they clogged up the shooting lanes all night. Oh and I hate to say this but both Lawrence and Farmer were standouts.

For us, Culli worked his backside off, forcing turnover after turnover. Also a shout for Mark Louis, solid defensively and a threat on the rush.

Not sure if there is too much analysis needed on this one, 9 times out of 10 we would have won that game sadly today was the tenth time.
Yes - chalk it up and move on - play with so much puck possession tomorrow night and Flyers will be sent packing

Nottingham have a very good D side - big bodies - quick - hunt in packs. Not sure once they have the extra two imports how big a threat they may be up front but Bowns made a couple of stellar saves again.

Really deflated after that tonight, we have all this fire power in the team and all that possession and we couldn't do anything with it, it felt like the panthers only had two shots and scored both.

Hopefully tomorrow we can start again, get a good result and get some consistency

guys dont expect much from bordeleau he isnt that good..
he will get no more than 20 points this season.
he is there to protect his team and throw a few hits. 4th line is where he should stay until he proves it otherwise

osh

This was a very disappointing result no matter how we look at it. Panthers down a few imports and the perfect opportunity to get a win, yet despite so much possession, we can't even get on the scoresheet. Early days I know, but I still think we lack a lot of cohesion and that surprises me a little having played more pre season games than ever before, and our defence worries me a lot !

ASHIPP

What is so frustrating is for the team to have so much puck possession and work so hard all game....for nothing.
Even Panthers' fans think the Devils were the better team.

However, in extremely tight games like that, when opposition might be limiting scoring chances, there are two things that can win the game - excellent netminding, and the ability of the special teams to either convert/avert chances.

KaneDevils

This was a very disappointing result no matter how we look at it. Panthers down a few imports and the perfect opportunity to get a win, yet despite so much possession, we can't even get on the scoresheet. Early days I know, but I still think we lack a lot of cohesion and that surprises me a little having played more pre season games than ever before, and our defence worries me a lot !
I'd be a little more concerned with our forwards to be honest.
The poor result against the storm aside, we've only conceded 3 times. Once vs clan, which was a rebound from a very good bowns save and 2 away in Nottingham. One conceded with a tired line on the ice, the other an ENG. Taking into account the little amount of shots the Panthers actually had, statistically we appear to be defending quite well.

I also don't get the "we dominated possession, but didn't score, so therefore lack cohesion". When the opposition nettie is saving everything, your heads will naturally and ultimately drop. Think last night was just one of those days.

august04

We'd better start finding a way to win on the road.....and quickly. We've lost 2 of the first 3 competitive games, one against a depleted Panthers team. It does make me wonder about playing such quality opposition pre-season, where we hardly had the puck, particularly in the early games. As fans it was great to see such different styles and teams of high calibre, but did it really do us any good? Time will tell I suppose but it certainly hasn't given us the flying start that we were looking for and the jump on teams who started their pre seasons much later.

Finishing cost Devils but the form of Wiikman will make it very difficult for anyone in the league to score past him. Only thing that's consistently seen teams score against us has been the usually open backdoor.

I'd say about 45-50 minutes of the game was spent in the neutral zone/Panthers' defensive zone. We only had 13 shots. Defensively we played pretty well, very desperate but solid enough to keep you guys off the scoreboard. As mentioned before, we played with 4 guys on the blue line as Devils would start their rush.

Besides the lack of finishing last night from Devils, i'd say there's no other issues.. Controlled the game well, played physically but fair and pretty good at the back. As soon as the finishing is sorted, i'd expect games like last nights to be a much different story.

I didn't think we tested wiikman at all last night, for the amount of shots we had they were more or less straight at him, I should imagine he thanked the Devils after the game for not stretching him too much and looking after any injury he's carrying

Electro

It's worrying that others have a plan on how to dominate us and we don't seem to be able to play any different. The Panthers seemed to be aware of their "issues" and played within their limitations, it should have been us out playing them and taking advantage of those issues.

I hope Lord will be on the bench for more games, although l fear as with the lines, it's a one chance then change policy. You have to give changes a chance to develop and settle.

Ocko

But the Panthers didnt dominate us, it was quite the opposite. We dominated, possession, attack time and shots. I wasnt at the game but their fans on the cage forum are saying how bad they looked compared to us, and how we'd have won that game 9/10. We didnt lose because of 'issues', we lost because we couldnt beat an in-form NM and a team who were forced to play a very defensive game because of our dominance.

There is no shame in losing away to Nottingham.

Electro

If that is how you and some fans saw the game, fine, my interpretation is one of Panthers protecting there nettie and not taking any unnecessary risks, for me they played a managed controlled game.

The result also reflects my interpretation.

voth26

If that is how you and some fans saw the game, fine, my interpretation is one of Panthers protecting there nettie and not taking any unnecessary risks, for me they played a managed controlled game.

The result also reflects my interpretation.

Then read the post of some panthers fan's on the cage forum, a few state it was the way the Devils played and fore checked that caused the panthers to defend for long periods and to play the way they did, unfortunately their nettie was on fire and we couldn't break him down, again some panthers fans state on another night we would have won by 1/2 goals

Electro

Again, if that is how you and others interpret the game, fine, I'm not interested in trying to belittle your opinions or try to change your viewpoints, I'm simple stating, as other posters do, my view point.