Best ever game in the WNIR

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
No brainer for me, it's the 6-5 win over the London Knights, you could hear a pin drop as we went 5-0 down, we looked lousy then Chinny beat up a Knights player and that set the tone for the rest of the night. Some great games at the WNIR, but for me this game takes the biscuit. What's your favourite and why.

RTfarty

2006 Challenge Cup final eclipses everything for me. I don't know whether it was the 3 goal deficit from the first leg, the result of the final from 2005 (and our rivalry at the time with Coventry), our last year in the WNIR or the game tying goal in the last minute.. just a phenomenal night and one of my favourite sporting memories of all time.

jenks33

The only reason I wouldn't pick this game is because of how bad we were that season. Our signings that summer - Brill, Lundback, Jardemyr, Durdle, Gillingham, Barklund were a bit of a let down. Most of them had their moments but in comparison to signings from previous seasons they were poor. I agree it was an amazing win but I think we were 7th at the time and ended up finishing 7th out of 8

For me it would have to be from the 96/97 season, for obvious reasons. I remember we won two home matches against Sheffield in January that were massive wins, both finished 3-2 if I remember correctly. I'd have to pick the 6-4 win against Manchester tho to win the league. It wasn't a great performance but the celebrations were special

Wannabe2

Thread starter #6
RTfarty said:
2006 Challenge Cup final eclipses everything for me. I don't know whether it was the 3 goal deficit from the first leg, the result of the final from 2005 (and our rivalry at the time with Coventry), our last year in the WNIR or the game tying goal in the last minute.. just a phenomenal night and one of my favourite sporting memories of all time.
Great night that,and Defo 2nd in my memory, the Knights game takes it for me as we were 5-0 down in our own gaff, untrue.

Mooney#16

jenks33 said:
The only reason I wouldn't pick this game is because of how bad we were that season. Our signings that summer - Brill, Lundback, Jardemyr, Durdle, Gillingham, Barklund were a bit of a let down. Most of them had their moments but in comparison to signings from previous seasons they were poor. I agree it was an amazing win but I think we were 7th at the time and ended up finishing 7th out of 8

For me it would have to be from the 96/97 season, for obvious reasons. I remember we won two home matches against Sheffield in January that were massive wins, both finished 3-2 if I remember correctly. I'd have to pick the 6-4 win against Manchester tho to win the league. It wasn't a great performance but the celebrations were special
Only one I'd disagree about was Lundback. He's actually one of my all time favourite Devils D men. I thought he was phenomenal. So smooth and always making exactly the right plays. The rest were either one year to far from retirement or not quite good enough. That team tried hard with what it had though but that was the first year the dreaded team toughness was mentioned after Macwilliam retired and it went down like a lead balloon.

My all time favourite game is that challenge cup final. For what was on the line that was a huge performance. Rempel could have dined out on that for along time.

Devil_Abroad

Think we scored the winner - Tony Hand wasn't impressed - think he was claiming an assist on that one too! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BostonBart22

Devil_Abroad said:
Think we scored the winner - Tony Hand wasn't impressed - think he was claiming an assist on that one too! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
seem to remember him claiming assists in games when he was sat on bench :lol:

jenks33

Mooney#16 said:
jenks33 said:

Only one I'd disagree about was Lundback. He's actually one of my all time favourite Devils D men. I thought he was phenomenal. So smooth and always making exactly the right plays. The rest were either one year to far from retirement or not quite good enough. That team tried hard with what it had though but that was the first year the dreaded team toughness was mentioned after Macwilliam retired and it went down like a lead balloon.

My all time favourite game is that challenge cup final. For what was on the line that was a huge performance. Rempel could have dined out on that for along time.

I think Lundback definitely showed glimpses. It probably didn't help him that I always compared him to a fellow swede he was replacing - Martin Lindman. Now he was a player. Streets ahead of Lundback in my opinion. Shame he was only here for one season

Ibbz9

The Devils first season in the Heineken Premier League. The first fixture v Murrayfield. Moria put on a masterclass. The first fixture v Durham in the Autumn Cup Semi. Seriously late face off due to bad weather, and Devils with a 10-6 win (going out on aggregate though). Both wins proved the Devils could live with the big boys.
The 10-0 was pretty special too. None of them were great games in the end-to-end sense. Just great atmosphere and performances for the team at that time in their history.

drainage

RTfarty said:
One of my fave games ...... It was like a Disney film !

drainage

For getting me gripped Devis vs Grimsby Baffalos , bench clearance all kicked off ! for getting me to think I would turn up no matter what Devils vs Durham tried to fly in couldn't got to bus in turned up 3 hrs or so after FO time left WNIR , drank rink dry popped to Golden Cross for refreshments and was knackered next day!