Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 13th Oct 23 - 19:30 FO

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Devils host the Blaze for a rare Friday face off and some challenge cup action. Devils were the wrong side of the scoreboard at our last meeting at the skydome and will be looking to improve on their 0 point weekend. This should be our first chance to see the new signing Alderson too if the paperwork is done.

kettdevil1

A good test this one. The Blaze are an archetypal Danny Stewart team this season, an absolute pain to play against and in McNulty they have a player who will always punish you if you lose concentration. It's one of those games that is a good test of how far we have come. Devils are the better team and will win if they maintain discipline but if that slips we will lose.

BostonBart22

Yes we need to be switched on for this one as it won't be easy in Guildford Saturday , cant afford another blank weekend this time in the cc, Kozun will have a point to prove if he plays

moggy#9

Luckily these games are just challenge cup. If this weekend goes badly it starts to look like a slide and pressure starts to mount.

jenks33

Surprised Booth isn’t starting but surely he’s carrying an injury. If I think back to the photos of the players after their very first training session didn’t Booth have a strapping on his leg with an ice pack on it? There were rumours doing the rounds back then that he had a niggle. I think he’s probably fine to be the back up at the moment and replace bownsy in an emergency but maybe not fit enough to play the full 60.

moggy#9

Surprised Booth isn’t starting but surely he’s carrying an injury. If I think back to the photos of the players after their very first training session didn’t Booth have a strapping on his leg with an ice pack on it? There were rumours doing the rounds back then that he had a niggle. I think he’s probably fine to be the back up at the moment and replace bownsy in an emergency but maybe not fit enough to play the full 60.
I just hope we're not falling into the trap of expecting bowns to do the heavy lifting this season. It's pointless having a player of booth's experience if we're not going to use him.

pjj365

Brutal announcement from Todd on the scorer’s of the first goal. Power play goal scored by Alderson, assisted by Blake Thompson (sat in the box serving his penalty). I mean he’s not wrong but wow.
I'm confused
According to EIHL Gamesheet Crandall was in the box and Thompson not listed as playing

ASHIPP

Went hoping and expecting to see Callum in goal tonight. Is he injured? He is too experienced to be sitting on the bench. He needs ice time. Had to chuckle with the chanting for Bownsey....on occasion he didn't actually make the save, the Blaze shooting was wide of the goal! Still really solid performance.

What's up with lines 1 and 2? Ryan Barrow still trying to get back into the groove and hope he finds it as he recovers after that terrible injury in the Sheffield game. Cox and Sandford are accumulating the odd points but, really, both are off form. They seem to look for the pretty build up on the pass (usually to eachother) only to miss the receive or for it to be intercepted. GOAT must be frustrated.

Brandon Alderson had a fantastic debut. He has a presence and already has line chemistry with Busch (a very underrated player, excellent centre) and Crandall.

Great to see Taran back in the building. He was kept busy, Devils dominated possession.

Last edited:
Great game. They looked like a team for the whole 60 minutes despite the one sided score. To have 5 individual scorers is great. I loved Alderson. Just what we needed. Danny Stewart didn’t do his homework on him, we all heard he had a rocker off a shot from the point on PP but Coventry let him tons of space every time. Alderson reminded me a little of Craig Weller in terms of how relaxed he seemed on the puck all game, a really calming influence.

Wannabe2

We were far too good for the Blaze tonight, we were all over them like a rash, like the look of the new guy, looks like a good asset. We are still not firing on all cylinders but that will come.

E.D.S.

Disappointing Blaze team tonight but credit to the Devils. I thought Batch was superb tonight. Read the game very well and made some crucial blocks. Donaghey is just outstanding. Got to disagree with Ashipp. I thought Barrow was a pain to play against tonight. Did the ugly things very well, Busch too. Cox had an extra step tonight. Weeks of looking lethargic and now skating with purpose... and then there's Joey. This guy deserves a goal every game. A brilliant faint and head movement for Donaghey's rocket in the second. His work rate and stick handling is just first class. End to end all night.

A huge game for Bowns. Not too many tricky shots but some great saves and a defense that just seemed to be on fire. They collapsed down low when required, showed desperation in throwing their bodies at the puck and took the lanes away. Great team effort for Bowns' shut out.

What about Brandt goal. Great determination, good turn of speed and wonderful patience for the finish.

That was a decent Friday night out. Great fun.