Stars Vs Devils - League - 29th Jan 23 - 17:00 FO

E.D.S.

I think that's a debate for the end of season. Feels odd having it now after a win and second place in the league.

Memory haze... who was in that 2013/2014 team? Help me go back.

Kevlar68

I think you can debate it, even if a team wins a league in any sport they can still be the worst team a club has had.
Just because a team wins a trophy doesn't mean they're a great team.
You could have a team that won 10 titles on the bounce but one of those 10 teams can still be the worse of the 10.
If the level of a league has dropped as a whole you wouldn't need a great team to win it.
This is just my opinion on team sport in general not just the Devils or eihl.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

I think that's a debate for the end of season. Feels odd having it now after a win and second place in the league.

Memory haze... who was in that 2013/2014 team? Help me go back.
Imports were
Faulkner, Lord, Kurka, Birbraer, Marsh, Blight,Morrisette,Smith, Plumton, Rama, Svete, Gipters, Conboy, Ross, Cesky, Limatainen

E.D.S.

I think you can debate it, even if a team wins a league in any sport they can still be the worst team a club has had.
Just because a team wins a trophy doesn't mean they're a great team.
You could have a team that won 10 titles on the bounce but one of those 10 teams can still be the worse of the 10.
If the level of a league has dropped as a whole you wouldn't need a great team to win it.
This is just my opinion on team sport in general not just the Devils or eihl.
You can debate anything you want. It's a forum. For me, we're second in the league, just won a game, on a good run and we're teetering on the edge of debating if this is the worst team in a decade. I'm not sure I see the merits of that. Seems ill timed.

But your points above are correct. Didn't Man Utds team who won the league in 2012/13 rank as one of the worst teams to win the Premier league? I'm sure I read that some where.

Kevlar68

I think its all about context in the questions and replies.
I honestly don't think the question "I’m struggling. Is this or isn’t it the worst devils team ever? " was to slate the team but it is a very genuine question, for a majority of this season so far the game play has been very disjointed, messy and no tactics apart from dump and chase even though we're now in a great position.
It works both ways really, if this was a totally positive forum with unicorns and rainbows then that's not a real reflection so we also in the same respect wouldn't be allowed to say "This is the best team ever" if they were blitzing the league up until now as there could be a major slip up and go tumbling down the league and at the end of season be the worse but people saying "This is best team ever" would be accepted before the season was over.
I've confused myself now but in my head i know what i mean :D

Last edited:

Kevlar68

I could be wrong but I thought ‘the question’ was a shot at humour.
Mooney could be having a proper giggle at the above debate?
It may just be that as you say, it can also be a genuine debate no matter what the intention was BUT people have said this is the worst team ever to wear a devils jersey so it could also be an honest question as they may be torn, again, you read in to text what you want as text shows no emotion.
Also do they mean worst as in poor player capability or do they mean worst as in most boring game play?
They could also be having a sneaky dig at other members who have said that about the team but the team are coming good at the moment.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

I have to mention Josh Brittain however. He has really started to play some good hockey individually but also given Devils a legit third line with menace along with Waller and Fournier. Since the conti cup Devils have been effectively rolling four lines which could also play a big factor into the stretch.
I thought brittain had a great game v fife seems like he's just joined the club last month and wants to keep his place, improved at least 60% to where he's been at ..

James

Administrator
Thread starter #52
We had some great players and the season started well. The team was gutted by injury, bans and selling players to Sheffield. We then brought in a load of cheap players to fill the gaps. Also we had about a dozen netminders of varying capability

lloyd_jeff

I don’t think you can place any team as the worst when they’ve placed rookie coaches into coaching roles. For me you can only judge a team as being the worst or best if everyone in their respective roles has expertise to perform that role, players & coaching staff. A rookie coach can ruin a good team, that’s not the fault of the players. In the case of Skalde it’s slightly more complicated as he was rookie to the U.K. style & management, the criteria to judge should be less forgiving than for Dupont. Giving our current form we’ve gained ground, which is great, if we’d not suffered the few months of lacklustre performances, for whatever reason we’ll probably never really know why, we‘d be in a much stronger position.
Reading Kings recent comment about the team, we will be able to judge this team better next year, it’s pretty obvious management will re-sign the majority, if not all the current squad, then we will know for sure. Although some may question that logic, maybe it’s financial, maybe they see 4 or 5 months of rubbish performance is acceptable, sprinkle some injury excuses and carry on competing from the mid table.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

How the hell can you make that statement
I don’t think you can place any team as the worst when they’ve placed rookie coaches into coaching roles. For me you can only judge a team as being the worst or best if everyone in their respective roles has expertise to perform that role, players & coaching staff. A rookie coach can ruin a good team, that’s not the fault of the players. In the case of Skalde it’s slightly more complicated as he was rookie to the U.K. style & management, the criteria to judge should be less forgiving than for Dupont. Giving our current form we’ve gained ground, which is great, if we’d not suffered the few months of lacklustre performances, for whatever reason we’ll probably never really know why, we‘d be in a much stronger position.
Reading Kings recent comment about the team, we will be able to judge this team better next year, it’s pretty obvious management will re-sign the majority, if not all the current squad, then we will know for sure. Although some may question that logic, maybe it’s financial, maybe they see 4 or 5 months of rubbish performance is acceptable, sprinkle some injury excuses and carry on competing from the mid table.
How the hell can you make that statement, it’s pretty obvious management will re-sign the majority, if not all the current squad. I know it’s only to try to wind people up, and to put more negative spin on your posts.

Wannabe2

I think the Todd gillingham season was pretty poor if i remember
Imports that season
Thornton, Sacratini, Moria, Matulik, McIntyre, Priest, Jardemyr, Brill, Durdle, Lundback, Schulte, Evans, Gillingham, Hurley, Ablad, , Eklof, Herlofsky, Boh, Barklund. Think you may just wish to think again buddy.

Mooney#16

I could be wrong but I thought ‘the question’ was a shot at humour.
Mooney could be having a proper giggle at the above debate?
Shot at humour! I nailed it. Bloody critics.

The Devils are currently second in the league to the team who had the hottest start in the entire of European hockey. We can therefore end this debate now that they are clearly the second worst team in Devils history. I blame the rookie coach, his clown assistant, the romantic has been signings and worst defence in years. However I have every confidence they can pull it out of the bag and make a last minute charge for the worst team in Devils history. It’s within their own destiny if they just take the opportunities when they come along however some changes are also needed to the roster. Joey Martin needs to go. Don’t know what he’s doing out there with all this goat like behaviour. Big Lou suspended for three games. More like it big man. Keep it going. Kozun can absolutely do one. Looks like a weight watchers Jason Cugnutt out there. Don’t shoot the messenger but absolutely raging by current form.