Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

Mooney#16

I don’t think you’ll actually see a huge shift in styles from us. Like most said if we’d started the year with the team we ended the league would definitely have been a lot closer so whole sale change wasn’t required.

As for the changes must seem to be parity or an improvement.

Register - Crawford
Looks like a parity switch with Crawford potentially being a bit younger and more dynamic stylistically. Seems a close as we could get to Fournier without it being Fournier.

Mikkelson - Jardine
Again seems like a good parity signing with Jards potentially having a little more offence about him.

Thompson - McNulty
Seems like an upgrade. Appears to be considered the North American version of Ritchie which can only be a good thing.

Martin - Dixon
Feel dirty saying anything bad about Dixon but has to be considered and upgrade.

Brittain - McNally
Actually very intrigued by this comparison. McNally was a very effective player when on it but also had moments of the wires crossing. Will Brittain be a slightly more effective, slightly more disciplined player in that role. Interesting.

Penny - Lammon
This is the signing I’m intrigued about most but only because of my bias. On paper he looks an upgrade on Lammon and played Blaze top line so moving to Devils third could be a stroke of genius for both parties. However my bigger question is will Penny do as good a job on the third line as potentially Dixon might have done for us if we’d kept him. Of all the signings he is the one that might have to work hardest to convince me he was a good pick up. Especially in the Face Off dot.

Carruth - Bowns
Carruth is a loss undoubtedly so could be perceived as a down grade but I think Bownsey can still back stop a championship team. Also successful teams are exactly that. Teams. I think Bownsey is a better cultural fit to the locker room than the loan wolf in Carruth. Bownsey will be 1A and Kozun 1B but if they can just be consistent enough in their play I think that D Corp and a firing offence will mean a successful compromise might have been met. However everyone does seem to be judging on Bownsey potentially unfairly as we haven’t seen him consistently play for a while.

From the team that ended the season which was looking pretty strong overall there has been an incremental upgrade so can’t see anything other than to be optimistic Devils will be fully in the mix next year. Winning is never guaranteed but as someone mentioned this looks like a Devils team on paper.

moggy#9

I don’t think you’ll actually see a huge shift in styles from us. Like most said if we’d started the year with the team we ended the league would definitely have been a lot closer so whole sale change wasn’t required.

As for the changes must seem to be parity or an improvement.

Register - Crawford
Looks like a parity switch with Crawford potentially being a bit younger and more dynamic stylistically. Seems a close as we could get to Fournier without it being Fournier.

Mikkelson - Jardine
Again seems like a good parity signing with Jards potentially having a little more offence about him.

Thompson - McNulty
Seems like an upgrade. Appears to be considered the North American version of Ritchie which can only be a good thing.

Martin - Dixon
Feel dirty saying anything bad about Dixon but has to be considered and upgrade.

Brittain - McNally
Actually very intrigued by this comparison. McNally was a very effective player when on it but also had moments of the wires crossing. Will Brittain be a slightly more effective, slightly more disciplined player in that role. Interesting.

Penny - Lammon
This is the signing I’m intrigued about most but only because of my bias. On paper he looks an upgrade on Lammon and played Blaze top line so moving to Devils third could be a stroke of genius for both parties. However my bigger question is will Penny do as good a job on the third line as potentially Dixon might have done for us if we’d kept him. Of all the signings he is the one that might have to work hardest to convince me he was a good pick up. Especially in the Face Off dot.

Carruth - Bowns
Carruth is a loss undoubtedly so could be perceived as a down grade but I think Bownsey can still back stop a championship team. Also successful teams are exactly that. Teams. I think Bownsey is a better cultural fit to the locker room than the loan wolf in Carruth. Bownsey will be 1A and Kozun 1B but if they can just be consistent enough in their play I think that D Corp and a firing offence will mean a successful compromise might have been met. However everyone does seem to be judging on Bownsey potentially unfairly as we haven’t seen him consistently play for a while.

From the team that ended the season which was looking pretty strong overall there has been an incremental upgrade so can’t see anything other than to be optimistic Devils will be fully in the mix next year. Winning is never guaranteed but as someone mentioned this looks like a Devils team on paper.
That seems a pretty decent analysis. I do think however both penny and brittain have considerable upside over their predecessors.

If I've got one concern it's our netminding. I'm not sure that kozun use the right guy to push bownsy for an even split of starts.

I think a lot of people will be plesently suprised by Kozun if he is given more ice time. Remember he still had a. 911% and .944% statistics in the league and Cup games he played for us as the backup. He is still reletively young and also from what I remember had a very good reference and came highly recommended as did Curruth. I say give him a good chance at the beginning of the season and see how he gets along and have Bowns push also to be the starting Nettie. Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly competition. I think "Combined" we may just have the strongest net minding in the league at this moment.

jenks33

Regarding Penny I wonder if that signing was mainly based on his performances for Blaze impressing Dupont or was it more Crandall putting in a good word for him. Probably a bit of both but it would be interesting to know how that signing came about.
He could be the surprise signing as I get the impression quite a few fans are a bit underwhelmed. I’ve seen a couple of Coventry fans describe him as a warrior and a workhorse which is good to hear.

moggy#9

What's interesting is the apparent flexibility of the team. According to elite prospects we apparently have 8 players who can play at centre. Additionally we have a good amount of toughness, and a lot of options for special teams.

Looking at the team stats we're now about 2.5 years younger and half a kilo heavier on average.

hip check

Martin and Brittain can both play centre and wing. Martin no1 Centre, Brittain big bodied dynamic winger on first line. Crandall with Penny?

Register is a massive loss in terms of hockey IQ, minutes played and presence. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.
Agree about Reggie, he was eating up the minutes last season and so cool on the puck, I personally will miss the big man.

Mazzoak

The fact the team took 90% of the season to get consistent is still a concern. As has been widely debated you need to win the long meaningless road trip games on rainy nights in crap holes as well as the trophy games, we were missing in several of those. Now if all the blame was on one or two players & a poor coach causing team dynamics to drop down to such a low others coasted, then we are sorted next season. We’ve got a coach with little coaching experience, that will have an impact, how much is unknown and a chunk of players that all received criticism from fans. Dupont though if the comments regarding his motivational skills & talk are true, should place us in a very good place. Not all my comments are what certain fans probably want to read on here I know, but its still a possibility that a slow start through to & passed Christmas could happen, it maybe another rollercoaster season, which is great, competition is far more entertaining when it’s not certain which team wins. I don’t really understand the Devils team on paper analogy, to me that’s just fans being fans, not reality. I’m just really happy Brandt is back, that’s a proper game loving, hard hitting, old school, loyal hockey player who has great potential and is everything every team used to want in a player. Unfortunately rules, regulations and player professional egos got in the way, I hope he isn’t constantly targeted by our league’s professional refs and officials, if so, he’s a waste of a signing.

Anyway can’t wait for the start, 22/23 should be an epic year.

Last edited:

moggy#9

The fact the team took 90% of the season to get consistent is still a concern. As has been widely debated you need to win the long meaningless road trip games on rainy nights in crap holes as well as the trophy games, we were missing in several of those. Now if all the blame was on one or two players & a poor coach causing team dynamics to drop down to such a low others coasted, then we are sorted next season. We’ve got a coach with little coaching experience, that will have an impact, how much is unknown and a chunk of players that all received criticism from fans. Dupont though if the comments regarding his motivational skills & talk are true, should place us in a very good place. Not all my comments are what certain fans probably want to read on here I know, but its still a possibility that a slow start through to & passed Christmas could happen, it maybe another rollercoaster season, which is great, competition is far more entertaining when it’s not certain which team wins. I don’t really understand the Devils team on paper analogy, to me that’s just fans being fans, not reality. I’m just really happy Brandt is back, that’s a proper game loving, hard hitting, old school, loyal hockey player who has great potential and is everything every team used to want in a player. Unfortunately rules, regulations and player professional egos got in the way, I hope he isn’t constantly targeted by our league’s professional refs and officials, if so, he’s a waste of a signing.

Anyway can’t wait for the start, 22/23 should be an epic year.
There are a lot of good points here. The downside of having so many options in this team is that it would be tempting for an inexperienced coach to do a lot of tinkering with the lineup. The only thing that I'm pretty certain of is that he won't touch the CCS line. I'm really excited for the start off the season though and can't wait to see what it rivals have got.

Mazzoak

It should balance out with Franny assisting, why he’s still only an assistant, make sense to promote him, he certainly deserves it. Yeah tinkering too early is a common issue when there’s pressure to win, especially in the first season, it’s a very difficult choice to get right.

JC23

It should balance out with Franny assisting, why he’s still only an assistant, make sense to promote him, he certainly deserves it. Yeah tinkering too early is a common issue when there’s pressure to win, especially in the first season, it’s a very difficult choice to get right.
I think it’s probably got something to with Franny’s VERY successful day job.

Mazzoak

I think it’s probably got something to with Franny’s VERY successful day job.
You can still call him coach. It was the Assistant label, I’m not a fan of it, especially for a person who’s gone way above & beyond. The club wouldn‘t be the same without him.

JC23

You can still call him coach. It was the Assistant label, I’m not a fan of it, especially for a person who’s gone way above & beyond. The club wouldn‘t be the same without him.
I mean, I don’t disagree with your reasoning. Franny is above & beyond the level of many within the organisation.

I think he’s just referred to as “assistant coach” as that’s the name for his given role. It’s not a slight on him, just the role he actually holds. - as far as I’m aware, he doesn’t make it to every practice, and he doesn’t work on stuff with the team day in day out, like Brodie will be.

Samael

Wasn't he previously director of hockey operations during the latter part of the Lord era? He's a bit like a Swiss army knife really and does many jobs behind the scenes. Assistant coach is likely a very broad description of his current duties, but he is a massive asset to the club and the owners and Todd know it thankfully.

Mazzoak

I’m only meaning the title, not the ins & outs of who does what blah blah. If it was me, I’d have Dupont named as Head Coach & Franny named as Associate Coach. His role should be reflected in the title, assistant gives me at least, the sense of a lower involvement.

Hedd Wyn John

Personally I'm very happy with the signings - it looks like we've got a very flexible outfit with a good balance of offenders and D. Plenty of reputable point scorers which was a weakness for much of last season. I think our net minding duo is good too. Some will say Carruth is a stronger nettie than Bowns, which I probably agree however we've multiple won titles in the past with Bowns & Kozun is a strong backup. As long as our D is solid & we don't leave our net minders out to dry we should be fine.

Devil94

Some hero has made a video of Ryan Penny's goals from last year.

You can tell from his shooting he has previously played as a top 6. He's completely different offensively to Dixon, Lammon or someone like Myers, who tend to score their goals poking in the rebounds. This guy can shoot.
If he does end up being on 3rd line center, as looks likely, then there will be serious depth in scoring. Also good to know if Joey or Coughler goes down he should be good to step in.