Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

Mazzoak

Infact, even as I type this reply I'm confused about where your post is heading or supposed to be about so I'm just going to stop and give up.
In response to this

I'd agree. I was never terribly impressed by Riley's stint as a devil. I want players who will go through walls for the team.
This is a business like any other, players are employees and there is nothing wrong with a player coming because it suits his business ambitions.

Finny

My 2ps worth on the rumours of Martin returning...

When it was announced Martin was leaving I had split emotions. Gutted to be losing one of our all time greats, but also in a way 'relieved' that we wouldn't see his talent diminish and at some point over the following years we'd have to horrible conversation of "is it time to let Martin go".

However.... looking at his stats the past couple of seasons in higher leagues than the EIHL he's clearly not at the retirement age.
Would he still be the best player in the league? Probably not.
Would he still be the best player on the Devils roster? Possibly not.

But after last season I wonder if the return of Martin is exactly what we need. Yes he would have an impact on the ice but I think his impact off the ice would be even bigger.
I think with the high turnover of players last summer we lost a bit of that Devils mentality we've had in previous years that took us to league titles.
In previous years if it felt like the team wasn't preforming well enough in a game it was often Martin who would lay a big hit or put his body in where it hurts. When the best player on your team is doing that it makes everyone else realise that they need to step up too.

If Martin doesn't return then we still have those memories. But if he can come back for another 2 or 3 years then his contribution into the next phase of the Devils could be vital.

My 2ps worth on the rumours of Martin returning...

When it was announced Martin was leaving I had split emotions. Gutted to be losing one of our all time greats, but also in a way 'relieved' that we wouldn't see his talent diminish and at some point over the following years we'd have to horrible conversation of "is it time to let Martin go".

However.... looking at his stats the past couple of seasons in higher leagues than the EIHL he's clearly not at the retirement age.
Would he still be the best player in the league? Probably not.
Would he still be the best player on the Devils roster? Possibly not.

But after last season I wonder if the return of Martin is exactly what we need. Yes he would have an impact on the ice but I think his impact off the ice would be even bigger.
I think with the high turnover of players last summer we lost a bit of that Devils mentality we've had in previous years that took us to league titles.
In previous years if it felt like the team wasn't preforming well enough in a game it was often Martin who would lay a big hit or put his body in where it hurts. When the best player on your team is doing that it makes everyone else realise that they need to step up too.

If Martin doesn't return then we still have those memories. But if he can come back for another 2 or 3 years then his contribution into the next phase of the Devils could be vital.
only TK and the owners know if Martin is going to return but personally I can’t see him coming back

Gaz G

I like to see Martin back. Still plenty good enough for this league, knows the place like the back of his hand so will settle straight back in.

He knows the Devils way and could potentially be our head coach in a few years time.

Kevlar68

I don't think a players signing would up seasons ticket sales by much if any.
Many didn't like the Saturday night experience like myself, season ticket prices have ncreased, cost of living has gone up and season tickets will be quite low on people's money priority.
I think this year season tickets will be down, 7 of my family aren't renewing season tickets.
I myself will be waiting until fixtures are released, if mainly Saturdays I'm not renewing.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Different factors are going to affect season ticket sales much more now than pre-COVID. Cost of living is inching up in many areas of life by the day. Everyone is having to make sacrifices and cut backs in some part of their lives.

osh

I don't think a players signing would up seasons ticket sales by much if any.
Many didn't like the Saturday night experience like myself, season ticket prices have ncreased, cost of living has gone up and season tickets will be quite low on people's money priority.
I think this year season tickets will be down, 7 of my family aren't renewing season tickets.
I myself will be waiting until fixtures are released, if mainly Saturdays I'm not renewing.
would agree with you that I feel the organisation made a mistake in playing so many home games on a Saturday as opposed to the traditional majority of home games in the past being Sunday home games. ( just one of many mistakes made during the last season )

Gaz G

Is it a mistake? Granted it annoys some fans but so does losing.

Spend all day travelling on Saturday, then playing, then travelling back before a game on a Sunday night. Makes sense to me to play at home on a Saturday as often as possible then sleep and travel.

Kevlar68

Home games weren't exactly a fortress due to more Saturday games and we've won titles in seasons with more Sunday games so the travel thing being an issue hasn't been.

Last edited:

matbur

I don't know if this is the case, but increased bar takings on a Saturday night presumably made those games more profitable.

I haven't renewed our ST's yet, I was hoping we'd have some details on roster requirements before committing, but I think the renewal deadline is end of this month.

I don't know if I can justify the cost or sustain interest in a competition that has 12 players on one team against 18 players on the other.

Earnie

Renewed our gang last week. I agree with the probable additional bar takings on a Saturday. I can see that travelling to an away game on a Saturday is a disadvantage. Last season’s mix had full house practicallly every game. Yes, the Saturday home game produced some booze problems which is very disturbing to those close by. Sadly sponsors are much to blame.
Conclusion: I would favour more Sundays than Saturdays.

Kevlar68

But if the council now own the IAW the bar profits would be theirs not devils. If the bar was devils owned they would have opened for the final like they did before as there was a good drinking crowd in the bar for that final and I was one of them.
The Saturday crowd isn't a hockey crowd, you could see from the way they dressed down to their behavior.

ASHIPP

I suppose it comes down to harsh economics in the end. First season back and UK is in a post COVID economic slump.... a club needs to bring in revenue quickly.
Which option is better for them?
a) Saturday night sell outs with badly behaving individuals and a large crowd that knows very little about ice hockey but love cheap drinks and out of town location,
or b) Sunday nights, attended by hockey die hards who love the game and create an atmosphere.

Not sure whether the travelling issue has that much effect on a team. Giants have amongst the worse scheduling in the league....they won it this season!

Wonder what will happen next season?

Last edited:

Wagstaff

Trad
Is it a mistake? Granted it annoys some fans but so does losing.

Spend all day travelling on Saturday, then playing, then travelling back before a game on a Sunday night. Makes sense to me to play at home on a Saturday as often as possible then sleep and travel.
I agree with you….. Traditionally we (Blaze) play most of our home games on a Sunday. I always looked forward to Saturday games when the team were fresh and energised rather than a travel worn group who may have done a Scottish trip and back and no quality rest before facing a second game vs a team who have only travelled once and slept soundly in their own beds all week.

Mazzoak

But if the council now own the IAW the bar profits would be theirs not devils. If the bar was devils owned they would have opened for the final like they did before as there was a good drinking crowd in the bar for that final and I was one of them.
The Saturday crowd isn't a hockey crowd, you could see from the way they dressed down to their behavior.
As far as I’m aware Greenbank hasn’t fully completed the sale to the Council, it’s still under feasibility & viability studies as the Council won’t complete until it can provide evidence that it is self financing. The Council isn’t prepared to subsidise the IAW, Greenbank is in the same position. So it’s very unlikely the Devils have any financial income from the bar, the only income would be the sale of VIP/sponsors tickets that have access to free drinks added to the ticket cost.

OJLloyd

I prefer Saturday night games. I would count myself as both a hockey fan and someone who likes to have a couple of pints whilst watching.

I’m also probably quite lucky that our block is mostly season ticket holders, or at least often the same people. So even if they are up and down for drinks, they know the rules and stick to them.

Sundays I tend to be otherwise engaged, but I understand that the Devils have to do what’s best for them in terms of both on and off ice performance.

Have the council taken over the running of IAW? I know they’ve acquired the freehold and the land around it, but I wasn’t sure if we were still running things day to day, and likely paying a rent of some description.

Mazzoak

Have the council taken over the running of IAW? I know they’ve acquired the freehold and the land around it, but I wasn’t sure if we were still running things day to day, and likely paying a rent of some description.
The last Council meeting gave a deadline date of September 2022 to complete the purchase.

TL91

As far as I’m aware Greenbank hasn’t fully completed the sale to the Council, it’s still under feasibility & viability studies as the Council won’t complete until it can provide evidence that it is self financing. The Council isn’t prepared to subsidise the IAW, Greenbank is in the same position. So it’s very unlikely the Devils have any financial income from the bar, the only income would be the sale of VIP/sponsors tickets that have access to free drinks added to the ticket cost.
If you pay at the bar, check your statement and it says Greenbank Partnerships…don’t know what agreement they have with the devils over bar takings but the money doesn’t go to the devils in the first instance