Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

kettdevil1

Not a rumour, but I guess I'm at that stage looking at players who could potentially come sign for us, due to links, friendships etc.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/11913/chad-costello

I noticed his ridiculous stats a few years ago, would be a top end signing for sure. He's on the older side now so the UK might be an option for him, but he played a full East Coast season this year so fitness not an issue. He played with Joey Martin in Norway and also Matt Register in Allen.

Seeing those numbers in the ECHL, it does make you wonder why he didn't get called up. What was it that held him back. But then he goes to the DEL and puts silly numbers up there too.
Interesting player - not one you would sign if you wanted physicality or any great defensive awareness but boy can he find the net. Saw him in the DEL and he reminded me of Jon Pelle in his awareness of exactly where to be on the ice. He would be 37 if he played here but worth a shot for one team maybe.... I still think his linemate from a few years back, Jack Combs, is a better option for someone.

jenks33

I remember speaking to a friend that follows ECHL/AHL about Costello and he said he suffered concussions in his early 20’s and also suffered a season ending knee injury. He really started to show his potential at 28 but AHL teams didn’t really want to give him a chance when he was pushing 30. He’s definitely unlucky to have only played 40 AHL games tho and he would put up big numbers in the EIHL.
I think I’d rather us go for somebody younger to be honest.

Devil94

He did 3 yrs in the AHL for 2010 to 2013 scored 3 goals and 14 assists in 40 games. That maybe a reason.
That was for over 4 teams, 3 of those teams he played less than 10 games for. If you get called up to the American league from the Coast, you don’t get put on the 1st line and get PP time like he would have been in the Coast. Especially if the team knows he's only there short term to cover injuries. He would have got limited ice time and a different role to playing in the Coast.
So I would say that nearly a point every other game is not a bad return, and not the reason he wasn't given a fair shot.

Interesting player - not one you would sign if you wanted physicality or any great defensive awareness but boy can he find the net. Saw him in the DEL and he reminded me of Jon Pelle in his awareness of exactly where to be on the ice. He would be 37 if he played here but worth a shot for one team maybe.... I still think his linemate from a few years back, Jack Combs, is a better option for someone.
A player who relies on hockey IQ is less affected by age I would say. As long as he can stay fit, which he looks like he can after his last year, then he should score heaps here.
I think If Jack Combs were to come over, he will surely go wherever his brother ends up?

RedDevil17

His injury risk is too high, he was good enough to be called up injury cover or not, 3 yrs is plenty of time to show a coach potential or in his case lack of, hence the poor numbers. His DEL numbers are impressive, his age though, not so much.

Just throwing this one into the mix. We can all dream, highly likely to continue in Frölunda.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/16727/johan-sundstrom
Signed already for Frolunda

Devil94

Rumours & Off-season none sense, not ”l searched Elite Prospects in the hope my guess signed so l look knowledgeable“……
Electro, I'm sure this is more of your sense of humour that I'm not getting, but the idea is to post somebody who realistically could join the Devils. Someone who is at the right point in their career, of a suitable quality, with an ex teammate or friend well known to the Devils, and someone who is not signed anywhere yet for next year.
You just posted a link without explanation or rumour to a player that meets none of that criteria. That's not quite the idea of the thread. Maybe you can leave the hockey chat to the hockey fans? And if we have any questions regarding Cardiff Council building regulations then we'll be sure to ask you.

Mazzoak

Electro, I'm sure this is more of your sense of humour that I'm not getting, but the idea is to post somebody who realistically could join the Devils. Someone who is at the right point in their career, of a suitable quality, with an ex teammate or friend well known to the Devils, and someone who is not signed anywhere yet for next year.
You just posted a link without explanation or rumour to a player that meets none of that criteria. That's not quite the idea of the thread. Maybe you can leave the hockey chat to the hockey fans? And if we have any questions regarding Cardiff Council building regulations then we'll be sure to ask you.
Ok.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #91
What criteria is this? Did I miss it?

It's the offseason rumours and nonsense thread, at least 75% of all the players that are posted in here aren't going to come to any of the teams in the EIHL...
Just throwing this one into the mix. We can all dream, highly likely to continue in Frölunda.
@Mazzoak even provided a bit of reasoning for sticking the link up. Please continue to post @Mazzoak :)

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

That alone is not a reason to not be given a fair shot. The top scorer in the AHL right now is 5'10 and 183lbs. The 2nd top scorer in the AHL is 5'8 and 165lbs. The 4th top scorer is 5'9 and 190lbs..... do I need to go on? Plus he was very successful in the DEL which you could argue is the most physical of European leagues.
that’s just the way it works - size matters in the big league !!!!

Mazzoak

We need two defensive forwards who’ll open up lanes and control break outs, we got muscled too easily which made our scoring potential weaker than it is capable of. whilst we all enjoy an end to end goal, let’s be honest opposition coaches can easily shut a known player down, or at least they should.

moggy#9

We need two defensive forwards who’ll open up lanes and control break outs, we got muscled too easily which made our scoring potential weaker than it is capable of. whilst we all enjoy an end to end goal, let’s be honest opposition coaches can easily shut a known player down, or at least they should.
Of course we need to win the face off before we do that. ;-)

jenks33

Going by what i've read on here over the past few weeks, are these the forward lines that the majority want next season then?

Reid - Martin - Crandall

Cox - Coughler - Sanford

Waller - New Import - New Import

Brandt - Davies - Duggan

I'm not doubting the talent on those top two lines but i still think it's missing a bit of physicality. I'm concerned they will just get bullied at times 5 on 5. What does everybody else think?

Ejercito Rojas

For what it’s worth, here’s my take on what our forward line up should look like.

New Imp. - New Imp. - New Imp
Crandall - Martin. - Reid
Cox - Coughler - Sanford
Waller. - Davies. - Duggan

A complete new '1st line' complete with genuine 1st line centre and a pair of bigger body wIngers.

Our defence something like this

New Imp. - New Imp
Reggie. - Ritchie
Batch. - Louis

Whether one of the above is Fournier is looking increasingly unlikely as previously stated but an
ex NHLer of the ilk of Strachan, Morisson or Mikkelson would be extremely welcome.

If there’s room for a 10th forward then Brandt is nailed on.
All this obviously must fit within the budget but that’s for Steve & Todd to worry about and for the likes of us to dream about!!

Last edited:

jenks33

For what it’s worth, here’s my take on what our forward line up should look like.

New Imp. - New Imp. - New Imp
Crandall - Martin. - Reid
Cox - Coughler - Sanford
Waller. - Davies. - Duggan

A complete new '1st line' complete with genuine 1st line centre and a pair of bigger body wIngers.

Our defence something like this

New Imp. - New Imp
Reggie. - Ritchie
Batch. - Louis

Whether one of the above is Fournier is looking increasingly unlikely as previously stated but an
ex NHLer of the ilk of Strachan, Morisson or Mikkelson would be extrem welcome.

If there’s room for a 10th forward then Brandt is nailed on.
All this obviously must fit within the budget but that’s for Steve & Todd to worry about and for the likes of us to dream about!!
I like the look of your forwards. Not sure that 3rd line would be happy with a big drop in icetime tho, Particularly Coughler. I also think Brandt will be back

moggy#9

I like the look of your forwards. Not sure that 3rd line would be happy with a big drop in icetime tho, Particularly Coughler. I also think Brandt will be back
To be honest, those lines would bust the budget massively. Also I think that we do need a proper enforcer to give some protection to the smaller players.