Giants Vs Devils - Play-Off Final - 1st May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finny

There have been 2 CHL places available to the Elite in the past. I wonder if there is a chance of a spot, and we are holding off announcing in case we get that instead ?
In recent years when the EIHL had two spots it was because either the Panthers won the Conti Cup or Belfast were awarded a CHL spot because they finished 2nd in the Conti Cup (winners were ineligible).

As Sheffield didn't win the Conti Cup this season there will be only one EIHL team in the CHL this year (Belfast). Although the CHL do love Cardiff they might well be looking at a way to sneak us in!!!! :D

(When the CHL was initially formed the EIHL did get two spots but the format of the competition was different to how it's been the past couple of years)

James

Administrator
Thread starter #202
Cheers Finny, I couldn't remember the exact reasons for the second place. They do like us so fingers crossed :D

moggy#9

There have been 2 CHL places available to the Elite in the past. I wonder if there is a chance of a spot, and we are holding off announcing in case we get that instead ?
Where there have been two places in the past it's been because Nottingham won the continental cup and where Belfast came runners up, but the champions couldn't participate. "Challenger leagues" in the CHL only get one place.

moggy#9

In recent years when the EIHL had two spots it was because either the Panthers won the Conti Cup or Belfast were awarded a CHL spot because they finished 2nd in the Conti Cup (winners were ineligible).

As Sheffield didn't win the Conti Cup this season there will be only one EIHL team in the CHL this year (Belfast). Although the CHL do love Cardiff they might well be looking at a way to sneak us in!!!! :D

(When the CHL was initially formed the EIHL did get two spots but the format of the competition was different to how it's been the past couple of years)
You beat me to it.

rocketbob

I have to say that I am really looking forward to the continental cup. Am I right in thinking that GB teams normally enter at the 3rd round with games being in November? If this is the case then the scheduling may be a bit less disruptive than the early season start needed for the CHL.

moggy#9

I'm surprised there's been no mention by the club regarding Continental Cup Qualification. I think we would all prefer to be in the CHL of course, but the Conti Cup is also an exciting prospect, playing some clubs we're not familiar with, and not forgetting that we actually have a chance of doing quite well in it.

I hope there's no thoughts about possibly not taking part? Can imagine it's more expensive to take part than the CHL, we won't have the home games gate money.
If love for use to host it. I don't think we've done anything like that since the 99/00 season when I helped with some of the stats (I still have the final stats pack somewhere).

Finny

I have to say that I am really looking forward to the continental cup. Am I right in thinking that GB teams normally enter at the 3rd round with games being in November? If this is the case then the scheduling may be a bit less disruptive than the early season start needed for the CHL.
Correct.

BostonBart22

I'm surprised there's been no mention by the club regarding Continental Cup Qualification. I think we would all prefer to be in the CHL of course, but the Conti Cup is also an exciting prospect, playing some clubs we're not familiar with, and not forgetting that we actually have a chance of doing quite well in it.

I hope there's no thoughts about possibly not taking part? Can imagine it's more expensive to take part than the CHL, we won't have the home games gate money.
Devils would save a lot of money not in CHL air fares to 3 countries and hotels, continental cup is 1 plane ride to play 3 teams 1 weekend in 1 country

Devil94

Devils would save a lot of money not in CHL air fares to 3 countries and hotels, continental cup is 1 plane ride to play 3 teams 1 weekend in 1 country
Don't think so when considering everything. You'd hope there would be 2 weekends in the Conti Cup to start, in places not as easy to get to as CHL clubs. The 2 away game together in the CHL are usually close enough to bus, Mannheim to Lausanne, Salzburg to Bern etc. And the big kicker is not having the 3 non season ticket home games to help pay for it all. There might be a grant from IIHF or similar, as this is not a competition the big rich clubs play in, but I don't know.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I understand that all reporters need to start somewhere but having the female reporter who obviously was trying her best but not doing a great job wasn't the right choice once again for a showpiece event.
You needed someone more experienced who can ask questions of the game they just watched without referring to a phone and with a less monotoned and more enthusiastic voice.
My girlfriend and I both commented on her reporting style, it didn't hold your attention or build excitement.
I'm sure she will improve over time.
She was starting at the bottom, she’s not on Sky covering the FA cup…..

Mazzoak

Here we go again, mysogeny, personal insults, character assassination, ageism, sexism ……. they all seem to be your default setting.
A word of advice, it’s up to you Wannabe2 but you need to read what you write before you post because a good deal of it is offensive!
It’s not the first time, in fact you’re a bit of a serial offender!
It’s not the 1970’s.

If you’re going to critique someone‘s performance on a public forum try a little objectivity.
Its not just Wannabe that retorts to misogynistic, condescending insults towards women on the Inferno, it’s a very middle aged male trait that women have to put up with here and in public, unfortunately. I’m just glad I’m not married to any of those so called men.

Last edited:

Vogon

She was starting at the bottom, she’s not on Sky covering the FA cup…..
I mean you can always start lower. She could have done the interviews at BUCS if she wanted the experience.
As it is, I pay Premier Sports for their subscription and get her interviews. I think I'd rather have dead air tbh.

Devils would also save a packet on not having to stretch the player budget to bring players over 1st week of August!

And as for the production qualities etc of the POFW, I was just delighted to see the Devils on TV at the Finals and absolutely 'over the moon' to see them win it!
The debate/criticism of commentary and interview styles etc are just a sideshow of a sideshow!

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I mean you can always start lower. She could have done the interviews at BUCS if she wanted the experience.
As it is, I pay Premier Sports for their subscription and get her interviews. I think I'd rather have dead air tbh.
You basically got the lowest, poor camera, directing, commentary, it really doesn't get more lower.

Mazzoak

I do not think it is very tasteful or proper to discuss the abilities of a member of the Premier Sports broadcasting team on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.
She will be her own critic, she will look at her performance and judge for herself and learn, in the same way players will. We afford players the respect of not insulting them, lets afford her the same respect.

E.D.S.

I think we need to calibrate expectations a little. As been mentioned before, we're on a pokey little channel that covers a big chunk of minority sports. I noticed they were advertising the Swedish Speedway the other night!! Everything about it is minority and amateur.

As for the commentators and intervewers.... It took a little time to warm up to Murphy and Addey. They were a bit wooden at first but now seem part of the furniture and do a decent job in my opinion (others clearly disagree). Our own commentators on DevilsTV were the same. I ended up really liking Aled then he left and the new guy took over who again, in my view does a decent job, but took some warming up. Jon Donovan as pointed out, can't ask a succinct question and wants to demonstrate his own knowledge too much - but others like him. Each to their own. Even Sonja McLaughlan got panned not so long ago following an interview she held with Owen Farrell. It's one hell of job, that I couldn't do, wouldn't want to do but respect those that do it.

I'm sure Caitlin, will grow in to this role and do a grand job. She's learning on the job in a very public domain. I can't think of anything harder or more intimidating - she'll need a broad set of shoulders to get through this time. Much respect to her for doing it. She'll improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.