Continental Cup

Kevlar68

Thread starter #1
Thought I'd start a thread as it has been mentioned in a another topic.

Do we think this is a more realistic chance of winning a European title than being in the CHL?
I myself like the CHL and it gives great exposure to the team BUT is it better to be in a competition we have a better chance to compete in or be in a competition just for the experience and exposure?

Hedd Wyn John

Thought I'd start a thread as it has been mentioned in a another topic.

Do we think this is a more realistic chance of winning a European title than being in the CHL?
I myself like the CHL and it gives great exposure to the team BUT is it better to be in a competition we have a better chance to compete in or be in a competition just for the experience and exposure?
personally I like the CHL but Realistically no UK team is in a position to win it.

Mazzoak

If we can progress in the CC, it may help experience and nurture a young talented squad to build with. Next year l fear we will probably return to the old philosophy of signing older experienced, close to retirement players. It’ll certainly give us some idea of how good we are against European Hockey, it could also be a reality check.

moggy#9

There's nothing wrong with having a core of experienced players, though I'll admit that we need to maker sure that there average age doesn't go up too much.

This season though it has been done of these older players who let us down and younger ones who came through for us.

Mazzoak

Ive banged on about a new coach, younger talented players and hoped Cardiff was going that way for a long time. Unfortunately Covid, Brexit, for those late to the cost of living crisis & Ukraine, both caused by European instability, a known by product of Brexit and impact on peoples financial circumstances, has hit. So the business of securing ticket sales and keeping attendance levels at max or as close as possible means budget restraint on player recruitment and the necessary costs to scout out & recruit young talent isn’t likely there. We needed a trophy, the EIHL needed playoffs to succeed, as many clubs away from Cardiff are in dire financial circumstances, we got the trophy and Cardiff fans are feeling the love again. So I wouldn’t at all be surprised seeing Bowns and the gang back, bit like Take That returning after their careers tanked…….

Finny

Definitely.

The objectives for any EIHL team in the CHL is to win a couple of games. Major success would be to qualify out of the group.

The objectives for any EIHL team in the Continental Cup should be to qualify for the Final Round. Major success would be to win it.

EIHL teams results over the past couple of years have been:
2021-22: Sheffield: Failed to qualify from 3rd round
2019-20: Nottingham: Runners-Up
2018-19: Belfast: Runners-Up
2017-18: Sheffield: 3rd
2016-17: Nottingham: Champions

Devil94

Just some info. These are the groups last year. Gives an idea of what sort of teams qualify.

Group C: Yertis Pavlodar (KAZ), Amiens Gothiques (FRA, hosts), Ferencvarosi TC (HUN), 2nd-place team Group B.
Group D: Sheffield Steelers (GBR), Asiago Hockey (ITA, hosts), Riga (LAT), Gomel (BEL)
Group E: Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR), Olimp Riga (LAT), Olimpija Ljubljana (SLO, hosts), Winner Group B.
Group F: Unia Oswiecim (POL), Frederikshavn White Hawks (DEN, hosts), SC Miercurea Ciuc (ROU), Winner Group A.

I'm guessing we will enter the competition in the 3rd round, the same as Sheffield did last year. Their weekend took place on November 13th-15th, but I think it was pushed back a little due to the leagues starting later. So it could be October. Some interesting teams there, hopefully we get a good host city/town, and do enough to qualify for another weekend a few months after. Who hosts is a decision made by IIHF, not by qualification, so they tend to host in larger more accessible towns, rather than Kazakhstan, Romania etc.

Mazzoak

I was referring to the perceived levels of respective talent. Barlow could hold his own as a successful professional/artist whereas Orange was left in the fruit bowl.
My point was that the group wasn’t the same after they left to seek individual success and failed, then regrouped and failed. The past is the past, as with the probability that returning players to the Devils may not be at the same level.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

My point was that the group wasn’t the same after they left to seek individual success and failed, then regrouped and failed. The past is the past, as with the probability that returning players to the Devils may not be at the same level.
Gary Barlow and Robbie Williams might well disagree about the failure of their solo careers....

moggy#9

Well, what is the world coming to? Here we are throwing insults about hockey and it's degenerated into a discussion about the relative merits of the members of take that. Disgusting! You people should be shamed of yourselves for bringing the level down so much. ;-)

Mazzoak

Well, what is the world coming to? Here we are throwing insults about hockey and it's degenerated into a discussion about the relative merits of the members of take that. Disgusting! You people should be shamed of yourselves for bringing the level down so much. ;-)
Just saying the name Take That makes me want to take a shower.

Gary Barlow and Robbie Williams might well disagree about the failure of their solo careers....
Metaphor dear, metaphor.

OJLloyd

In the absolute nicest way possible, if we are in the Continental Cup (there’s a rather large looking hole in the CHL with the Ukrainians being busy with more important matters), I hope it’s somewhere nice.

It would be somewhat typical if my big adventure away for the hockey was to the Bay.

James

Administrator
Aren't there 2 CHL Belarusian team slots too which will be under sanctions? Not sure on their Conti participation

moggy#9

In the absolute nicest way possible, if we are in the Continental Cup (there’s a rather large looking hole in the CHL with the Ukrainians being busy with more important matters), I hope it’s somewhere nice.

It would be somewhat typical if my big adventure away for the hockey was to the Bay.
That's a very good point with both Ukrainian and belorussian teams unable to complete. I wonder how replacements would be decided. If our league gift e another place, is expect it to go to Sheffield as league runners up.

Devil94

The 32 spots in the CHL have been confirmed. The only chance we would have would be as a wildcard, there are 2 each year, but they have already been confirmed. One is going to Krakow for winning the Continental Cup last year, and the other to Ljubljana from the Slovenian league, replacing the Ukrainian champions.

No Ukrainian or Belarussian teams involved. One Swedish spot left, which will be decided by their play offs.

Last edited: