Inferno calm before the storm ….

Kevlar68

Bowns is on a downward for me so only as a back up if ever.
Martin 7th highest points this season and as stated was slipping in his last 2 seasons with us.
Fournier out of all previous players before this season is only player I may have back.
I'm all for progressing and building better than was previous as other teams will be looking to improve also, so for me going back is the wrong thing to do.

Rempel16

Bowns is on a downward for me so only as a back up if ever.
Martin 7th highest points this season and as stated was slipping in his last 2 seasons with us.
Fournier out of all previous players before this season is only player I may have back.
I'm all for progressing and building better than was previous as other teams will be looking to improve also, so for me going back is the wrong thing to do.
I haven't followed enough of Bowns to know whether he is on downward, but he's been in higher leagues since leaving us hasn't he?

It's a tough one for Joey M - his stats look as though he was slipping, but I think this is because it was a condensed year. Historically Joey has started slowly and got better as the season progresses - so his stats may have ended up being much different. But if I recall - we were set to win the league before Covid hit, yet we hadn't scored anywhere near as many goals as a team, as we were used to seeing.

Joey was still a point-per-game player in 2019/20

1651230950090.png

Devil94

Bowns on a downward? 31 is about prime for a goalie, as they mature as players a little later than skaters. And he had a very respectable stats in a higher league last year. Strange comment to make.

As regards to Joey, I think he will still be a valuable player for us, and a leader. But we can't expect the same Joey as when he first arrived. I would take Coughler if we had to choose I think, but it would be great to see Joey back maybe down a line or two.

I can't wait for the official rumours thread to start next week. Every thread at the moment turns in to chat like this, everyone's itching to get going.

moggy#9

Having just had a quick look at the stats for Joey m this year, I was quite surprised at him only having 26 points in 42 games. That doesn't seem a great return on the Austrian league.

We really need a game breaker to centre the first line. I'm not 100% convinced that Joey is that guy anymore, though I suspect that he could really help us somewhere in the line up.

Devil94

Players age means nothing, fitness, injuries, mind set also have to be considered. Age doesn't make a player. Bowns may only be 31 but that doesn't mean he's in the prime of his playing career.
I'd be interested to know how you can gauge his fitness and know his mindset to determine he's not in his prime. You must know him personally extremely well.

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #28
The upside of one netminder being a Brit is an extra import skater! Fine margins, but in games like this years CC final it can make the difference between a W and L.

All of the success under Lordo was without an import goalie, therefore we had an import numerical skater advantage over all of our competitors! Coincidence????

august04 2.0

Bowns has had injury problems since he left the Devils and for a netminder of his age, has faced a massive amount of rubber thanks to his time with the Devils. I’d welcome him back to Cardiff but only alongside a top import nettie too, let them fight it out for the start every week. No way must we return to the days when he played every game - didn’t do him any good either long term. I still think he’ll sign elsewhere in the EIHL though.
And I don’t see what’s wrong in going back to previous players either - Fournier would still be head and shoulders above any other D man in this league and I still reckon Joey Martin would be a premier player in the league too. I’d have Haddad back too if he’s available.

E.D.S.

Personally, I think we need to stop looking at individuals and look at how we want the team to play. I'm a huge GOAT fan but another small player replacing another small player wouldn't cut it for me. I'm still holding back until after this weekend to focus on individuals but it's how we want to play that should determine the players we keep/recruit. Our style this year hasn't work in this league or more accurately it doesn't work consistently with the type of players we have. The style of play, tactics and type of player never seemed to align. Using Belfast as Blueprint wouldn't be a bad starting point. It's very similar to our team in 2017-2019/20. Mix of size, speed, ability to move the puck, retain posession and do the dirty work. Giants had that this season. We've had it in the past. We didn't have it this year. My opinion, it's the only way we win this league.

I love that Skalds (or whoever you want to believe picked the team) tried to be innovative in our style but it just doesn't fly in this league. We had tiny players in the red zone working against the boards against 6ft 4 D men, we had our D men rushing to join the play then exposing us to numerous 2 on 1s and shorthanded goals against.

Define our identity first and our DNA and then lets look at who we have. It's what made our recruitment so effective in years gone by.

moggy#9

Personally, I think we need to stop looking at individuals and look at how we want the team to play. I'm a huge GOAT fan but another small player replacing another small player wouldn't cut it for me. I'm still holding back until after this weekend to focus on individuals but it's how we want to play that should determine the players we keep/recruit. Our style this year hasn't work in this league or more accurately it doesn't work consistently with the type of players we have. The style of play, tactics and type of player never seemed to align. Using Belfast as Blueprint wouldn't be a bad starting point. It's very similar to our team in 2017-2019/20. Mix of size, speed, ability to move the puck, retain posession and do the dirty work. Giants had that this season. We've had it in the past. We didn't have it this year. My opinion, it's the only way we win this league.

I love that Skalds (or whoever you want to believe picked the team) tried to be innovative in our style but it just doesn't fly in this league. We had tiny players in the red zone working against the boards against 6ft 4 D men, we had our D men rushing to join the play then exposing us to numerous 2 on 1s and shorthanded goals against.

Define our identity first and our DNA and then lets look at who we have. It's what made our recruitment so effective in years gone by.
Excellent comments. Very insightful.

The ideal types of player for all playing in better leagues, so it's all about the blending of player's we can get to produce more than the sum off their parts.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Bowns has had injury problems since he left the Devils and for a netminder of his age, has faced a massive amount of rubber thanks to his time with the Devils. I’d welcome him back to Cardiff but only alongside a top import nettie too, let them fight it out for the start every week. No way must we return to the days when he played every game - didn’t do him any good either long term. I still think he’ll sign elsewhere in the EIHL though.
And I don’t see what’s wrong in going back to previous players either - Fournier would still be head and shoulders above any other D man in this league and I still reckon Joey Martin would be a premier player in the league too. I’d have Haddad back too if he’s available.
While I can't see arguments for the others, I'd be very dubious about Haddad given that her hasn't played anywhere for the last year. A player who can retain the puck like him, sure, but he personally would I think be a risk. We need to make signings with it our heads not our hearts.

Kevlar68

The way I look at recruitment is like this:
Whatever player we have now on whatever line would you replace them?
So an example, Carruth is with us now, while with us would you have replaced him with bowns? For me, no.
So now he's going if you wouldn't replace him with bowns when he was here it's not the option to sign him now Carruth is going, that's a step back, we need to match or if possible improve on Carruth, not settle for less.
Same for Martin he may improve our second or third line but no longer a first line player.
Bit long winded but it's best I can explain it in my head. :confused:

Last edited:

moggy#9

The way I look at recruitment is like this:
Whatever player we have now on whatever line would you replace them?
So an example, Carruth is with us now, while with us would you have replaced him with bowns? For me, no.
So now he's going if you wouldn't replace him with bowns when he was here it's not the option to sign him now Carruth is going, we need to match or if possible improve on Carruth, not settle for less.
Same for Martin he may improve our second or third line but no longer a first line player.
Bit long winded but it's best I can explain it in my head. :confused:
The thing I'm struggling with regarding Martin, is where to slot him in. I don't think he's first line anymore. I don't want to split up the CCS line, And I think I'd prefer Dixon to centre a third line.

Mazzoak

I guess the question here is are any of the players past their peak, and can we get someone for the same position who is better? I would hate for us to become the sort of club who recruited based on nostalgia or reputation rather than actual, present day playing ability. Success and sentiment rarely go hand in hand. That said, if Martin and fournier are still at the same level, I'd welcome them back. In bownsy's case I'd expect him to accept a sensible split of starts with another capable goalie.
Bringing back fan favourites maybe more of a business decision than a hockey one, assuming their playing standard is as good.

ASHIPP

Having just had a quick look at the stats for Joey m this year, I was quite surprised at him only having 26 points in 42 games. That doesn't seem a great return on the Austrian league.

We really need a game breaker to centre the first line. I'm not 100% convinced that Joey is that guy anymore, though I suspect that he could really help us somewhere in the line up.
JM wasn't the first line centre at Graz. He can't work magic every shift and he might have had less ice time. We don't know. Haddad had a career year in the last year he was with us. Previous seasons not so productive.

GOAT means so much more to this club than putting up points. If he returned, this would be a major coup.

Samael

I know one of the Netminders for next season is already signed! Cannot say anything further at this point though.
Yeah so do l. Signed by Herning Blue Fox though. Your fat estate agent impersonation is getting better and better each year.

I can see why people would have doubts about Bowns coming back. Me personally would have no issue but l think he's going to be in Nottingham next year. Be interesting if he goes there and is their starter and plays a full season. l recall the panties fans over on the cage moaning saying we ran him ragged and he was burned out for GB. I'm sure they won't complain if he does it for them though!

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #40
Yeah so do l. Signed by Herning Blue Fox though. Your fat estate agent impersonation is getting better and better each year.

I can see why people would have doubts about Bowns coming back. Me personally would have no issue but l think he's going to be in Nottingham next year. Be interesting if he goes there and is their starter and plays a full season. l recall the panties fans over on the cage moaning saying we ran him ragged and he was burned out for GB. I'm sure they won't complain if he does it for them though!
Thanks for the compliment! :)