Ticket spot checks at the arena

Swarley

Thread starter #1
Just noticed on twitter that they're now doing spot checks on people's tickets at the arena and people need to make sure they have id with them.

Not sure what caused this to happen but I have a few ideas lol

nicky27

Does this mean checking on people who are using a child ticket to get an adult in more than checking name is same on ticket? Thought you were allowed to sell your ticket to someone else?

Gavevs88

This makes no sense though as you're allowed to lend someone your season ticket if you're not going to a game? Plus I never carry ID with me to games so good luck with that one :)!

kettdevil1

I suspect it is more to do with what Nicky is saying..... I think it was Sheffield a few years ago that did a blitz on this and found vast numbers of people getting in on student/concession tickets....

pjj365

I get this in terms of people "lending" concession STs and people not paying the uplift
I also get it with a buy back this Saturday so passing ST round reduces revenue
BUT
It comes over as petty this late in the season. Next year lay out the rules in a clear manner at the start of the season not forgetting stressing that ID must be carried (good luck with that one)

Earnie

It has probably been identified that there is an unusually high percentage of below full adult price purchases made and this quite rightly raises suspicion. If you spot check Sheffield you have to spot check Cardiff.
I am actually giving my ST to a child so that I think is ok. If it was a child ST to an adult then that is not ok in my view.

pjj365

It has probably been identified that there is an unusually high percentage of below full adult price purchases made and this quite rightly raises suspicion. If you spot check Sheffield you have to spot check Cardiff.
I am actually giving my ST to a child so that I think is ok. If it was a child ST to an adult then that is not ok in my view.
But if you sold back and that child bought the ticket if would be an additional £ 3 to £6 income. But to try and change this practice is, as I said, petty

Last edited:
I suspect it is more to do with what Nicky is saying..... I think it was Sheffield a few years ago that did a blitz on this and found vast numbers of people getting in on student/concession tickets....
It was either Sheffield or Nottingham, I'm leaning towards Nottingham. They still had a huge % of student tickets sold and all the surrounding Universities were empty (Easter Holidays if my memory serves me correctly) so they checked people entering the venue and effectively next to none of the people with student tickets were students. It stuck in my head because I went to Loughborough uni and I used to go to the Devils games as a student when the were playing up in Nottingham. I think the discount was pretty decent compared to a 'normal' adult ticket.

kettdevil1

It was either Sheffield or Nottingham, I'm leaning towards Nottingham. They still had a huge % of student tickets sold and all the surrounding Universities were empty (Easter Holidays if my memory serves me correctly) so they checked people entering the venue and effectively next to none of the people with student tickets were students. It stuck in my head because I went to Loughborough uni and I used to go to the Devils games as a student when the were playing up in Nottingham. I think the discount was pretty decent compared to a 'normal' adult ticket.
Thanks - that does ring a bell. Clearly that must be why the playoff finals aren't doing concessions ;)

kingmo19.1

Serious question, what would you do if it was your business to check that there is an opportunity for people to buy a child ticket as an adult. I'm not saying that this is the case btw
It’s an easy one - ticket check when entering the arena - if it’s a Child’s ticket being held by an Adult it’s pretty obvious. Just make it a consistent check rather than spot checking. That will add a minuscule amount of time as it’s basic human judgement. Surprised they are not doing this already

I get this in terms of people "lending" concession STs and people not paying the uplift
I also get it with a buy back this Saturday so passing ST round reduces revenue
BUT
It comes over as petty this late in the season. Next year lay out the rules in a clear manner at the start of the season not forgetting stressing that ID must be carried (good luck with that one)

https://www.cardiffdevils.com/legal/terms-conditions/
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF CARDIFF DEVILS TICKETS
Match Night Tickets:
  • One Ticket purchased entitles one person entry to the arena on a single occasion for the stipulated game.
  • All persons entering the arena must hold a valid ticket that must be retained at all times and submitted for inspection if required by any member of staff or stewarding team. Failure to produce a valid ticket on request may result in removal from the arena. This includes tickets shown on a smartphone.
  • Where ticket prices vary according to age, the following provisions apply: A person aged 22 years to 59 years is classed as an Adult; A person aged 60 years and over is classed as a Senior; 16 to 21 years is classed as a Youth; 3 to 15 years is classed as a child and for children aged 2 years and under, no admission fee will be charged, providing they sit in the lap of an accompanying adult.
**Please note if you purchase a Youth / Senior / Registered Disabled ticket, it is your responsibility to carry the appropriate ID for inspection on entry. If you have insufficient ID, you will be asked to pay the Adult ticket rate before entering the arena.

It’s an easy one - ticket check when entering the arena - if it’s a Child’s ticket being held by an Adult it’s pretty obvious. Just make it a consistent check rather than spot checking. That will add a minuscule amount of time as it’s basic human judgement. Surprised they are not doing this already
Thanks for your reply.
That could be an option but think of the additional time queuing at every game ?
spot checks are much better, like mobile speed camera's they catch the "offender" live, but in fairness to the Devils they have given notice.
Would be funny if all of a sudden a few child tickets became available on the market or resold back to the club

kingmo19.1

Thanks for your reply.
That could be an option but think of the additional time queuing at every game ?
spot checks are much better, like mobile speed camera's they catch the "offender" live, but in fairness to the Devils they have given notice.
Would be funny if all of a sudden a few child tickets became available on the market or resold back to the club
I don’t think it would take too long - the door people have to look at the ticket anyway - a quick glance at the person attending and a quick evaluation of age, ie, this is a child’s ticket but hey,the bloke holding it looks about 85 - I wonder if this is a price dodge ???? Quick call to Rink 911 then take him up-to Rink Police HQ in the Gantry on floor 46 for interrogation!

Last edited: