Devils Vs steelers - League - 4th Dec 21

Mooney#16

I'd like to point out that I never said anywhere that we played well tonight, or that we were unlucky to lose. I in fact agree with much of your post, Mooney.
I said we were unlucky to finish the first behind, as we had some good chances, and they had a freak goal.
I then praised the character and effort at the end, and said Dixon had a great night in the faceoff circle. But even that seems to be too upbeat for some to handle.

I get that this a thread about this particular game, but I like to look at the bigger picture as one game does not give a true reflection of where the team is. And where we were was one game away from being top of the table and a six game winning streak. We're still in 2nd place. So when week after week there's posts where an outsider would think that this team is an absolute car crash, even when we're winning (which is all just luck, apparently), then I feel I should at least try and level down the overreaction and entitlement on here.

It's not lucky when your goaltender wins you a game. It's the most important player in your team, playing well. That's not luck, that's literally what they're there for.
Completely agree that it’s the old don’t get to down when you lose and too high when you win else your opinion and decision making will always be too emotional and compromised so your sentiment is spot on.

Just after that overall display if ever their was a time a team needed a good roasting it’s tonight. I didn’t see one player overtly try and stand up to be counted. That guy who would put the team on his back. That lack of character was really frustrating to see and troubling for the remainder of the season if they don’t figure it out pretty quick.

Devils86

It's late - but I'm just starting reading some of the posts on here. Will come back in the morning - a LOT of reactionary rubbish being posted. Was it perfect? No. Do I HATE the Steelers? Definitely.

But some of this is going over the top. Will read, sleep and compose a reasoned review of a disappointing night.

But let's all agree, thankfully we aren't Orange and when they get home they end up in Sheffield!!

BostonBart22

would love to know what Dupont gets paid, is he the top earner ? as he after all is a player coach, seen the player role, less said about that, perhaps he should try the coahing role a few weeks and earn his money that way, Mr king and others cant be happy with his tag as top line centre and not delivering.

moggy#9

“I have just left this game and the effort is 100% there from the players.

Unfortunately the quality from a few is not.”

I thought the same. To be honest I think the effort is there we just lack quality in certain areas. Fair play our Powerplay is lethal and it was a great fight back at the end. 5 on 5 is a worry though and it has been for most of the season. If teams are disciplined against we look toothless for large parts of games
I'm not sure that the effort was that good. You could see speed and creativity were a much higher level at the start and end of the game. The rest of the time, I felt, that there was a desire to look for the easy play. Even the commentator picked up on things like the no look passes.

DevilDom

It won’t happen but we should be looking to replace Dupont and Lammon IMO. Dupont is such a disappointment for our supposed top line centre and Lammon is a waste of an import slot. Waller should be back on the line with Cox and Sandford too.

We have ground out results over the last few weeks, relying on Carruth or Kozun but got found out last night. Our lack of offensive 5 v 5 is very worrying and teams are working out that if they are disciplined we will struggle to score.

I love Dixon but he shouldn’t be our first line Centre. He should be on a line with McNally causing havoc, checking the crap out of the opposition. The fact he is on the 1st is to cover up how poor DuPont has been. Dupont has now messed up the 2nd line too which should Cox, Sandford and Waller.

As for Skalde - I think he’s a decent coach but has a very defensive mindset. We have virtually no scoring from D which we have had the luxury of over the last few years with Fournier and Hotham and don’t seem to have much clue on how to score against the better teams 5 on 5. The game plan seems to be to keep in tight, relying on Carruth and wait for a PP.

moggy#9

Basically he’s doing a good job filling in as first line centre because the Dupont signing hasn’t really worked out (Yet anyway). Steve King confirmed on this forum back in August that Dupont was signed as first line centre. Do you really think the plan was for Dixon to be first line centre? Of course not.
Yet? We're half way through the season. I think it's safe to say he's a bust.

Mooney#16

Not rushing to Brodie's defence but you can't just single him out from last nights game as the target to vent frustration. It was dreadful from Skalde down. And I say that as in that was the most bare minimum display to count as being professionals. They chose the bits of the game they wanted to play and the rest they just didn't bother with. Hockey is a physical sport. You take the puck away from the opposition in two ways. Poke check or body check. They just poke checked all night to poor effect and took the easy nights pay. I can take a lot but when I see professional player pull out of legitimate hits it drives me insane. And how Skalde couldn't manufacture the tactics to swing the momentum which also annoyed. Way way to passive game manageent.

I will say and I'm not a fan of singling players out that calling for Waller isn't the solution either. His decision making at present is very rookie esque. He is making wrong plays in wrong areas of the ice and giving up possession very easily. He still needs a lot of educating in the video room.

moggy#9

It won’t happen but we should be looking to replace Dupont and Lammon IMO. Dupont is such a disappointment for our supposed top line centre and Lammon is a waste of an import slot. Waller should be back on the line with Cox and Sandford too.

We have ground out results over the last few weeks, relying on Carruth or Kozun but got found out last night. Our lack of offensive 5 v 5 is very worrying and teams are working out that if they are disciplined we will struggle to score.

I love Dixon but he shouldn’t be our first line Centre. He should be on a line with McNally causing havoc, checking the crap out of the opposition. The fact he is on the 1st is to cover up how poor DuPont has been. Dupont has now messed up the 2nd line too which should Cox, Sandford and Waller.

As for Skalde - I think he’s a decent coach but has a very defensive mindset. We have virtually no scoring from D which we have had the luxury of over the last few years with Fournier and Hotham and don’t seem to have much clue on how to score against the better teams 5 on 5. The game plan seems to be to keep in tight, relying on Carruth and wait for a PP.
To me, players not serving the roles they were supposed to has led to a lot of chopping and changing and adaptation. That has unbalanced the whole side.

moggy#9

I've just watched the post game comments from the coaches. To be honest skalde seemed more deflated than angry with that performance. I'm honestly worried that this team hasn't bought into the mindset that every game matters.

Slartibartfast

To me, players not serving the roles they were supposed to has led to a lot of chopping and changing and adaptation. That has unbalanced the whole side.
Since early in the season I have joked with the guy next to me that Skalde has an app on his phone that randomly changes the lines. We are in December and its still feels like we only have one line that is working properly. Fortunately other teams must be having similar problems as despite our problems we are still second but if this season is going to be another battle between us and the Steelers we need to fix this.
Mooney 16# was spot on about the poke checking. Although we break up a lot of plays with a good poke check, the many we miss leave us exposed. At one point we were on the boards in the O zone and one of the Steelers checked one of our little guys knocking him 2 metres. My first thought was why can't we do that.

osh

Frustrating all round last night. It’s plain to see we are carrying players and I almost get the feeling that our players - in the words of Jona Lewie - “wish I was at home for Christmas“ ! I just don’t get the feeling we are pulling together as a team and I feel that is due entirely to the way the coach has us playing. Skalde put this team together and they play to his system. I don’t think he has recruited well despite the fact we are in 2nd spot in the league. In fact, I believe the whole league has dropped in playing standards. Our team are directed by his coaching and motivation, however, they certainly didn’t look at all motivated last night or ‘up for it’. We have been used to seeing our players stand up for each other when being outmuscled etc, I’m not seeing that at this time and quite honestly I see many players simply going through the motions and not committing to checks when they should do and not working hard enough in retaining puck possession which causes us to be on the defensive more times than the offensive. Sadly, Skalde has chosen to go with mainly smaller type forwards who continually are moved off the puck far too easily. I am not impressed with him whatsoever, irrespective of what he may or may not have achieved in the past, and have been saying for many weeks that it’s time certain players are moved out and others brought in if we want to win any silverware this season.

moggy#9

Batch was one player that puts in 100 percent every game and wears the badge with his heart
I was unsure about batch moving full time to defence at the start of the season, but - wow, he's really changed my mind. He's been solid and dependable. There's something seriously wrong if he doesn't make the GB team and O'Connor does.

Mazzoak

Basically he’s doing a good job filling in as first line centre because the Dupont signing hasn’t really worked out (Yet anyway). Steve King confirmed on this forum back in August that Dupont was signed as first line centre. Do you really think the plan was for Dixon to be first line centre? Of course not.
Take public comments about team structure, strategy, performance, expectations from any member of the club etc etc with a pinch of salt.

Mazzoak

As I’ve said before, performance isn’t going to dramatically change this yr. I don’t know why people continue to expect stellar changes, although it’s blatantly obvious some are still salty on the coaching issues.

Mazzoak

I'm afraid I Have to agree with you. Without Carruth regularly standing on his head we'd be on a losing streak for sure.
And if we had a top centre all our woes would disappear. The position of the Star doesn’t matter if its contributing to the wins, l say wins rather than performance because ultimately that’s what brings success. You don’t need to have a star first line centreman, this isn’t PS4 hockey..........

jenks33

Take public comments about team structure, strategy, performance, expectations from any member of the club etc etc with a pinch of salt.
What you don’t think Skalde and the owners had a chat in august and discussed where he sees each player playing? Obviously lines will chop and change throughout the season with form/injuries etc but at the start of the season Skalde would have had his three lines on paper and Dupont would have been first line centre. Look at DuPont’s Cv, also he’s player assistant coach and he’s living in a house in South Wales with his family. You don’t recruit a player with that CV plus fly his family over here to play on your third line. Particularly this year with 19 man rosters. Your third line budget goes on a player like Lammon. He’s over here by himself and probably one of the lower paid imports.