Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 6th Nov 21

Devil94

Not sure what people have seen in Belfast to predict a finish above us? We beat them, they got pumped last night, 4 points from 5 league games, and they average less goals a game than we do. I'd argue they have more issues than we have.

Hedd Wyn John

Not sure what people have seen in Belfast to predict a finish above us? We beat them, they got pumped last night, 4 points from 5 league games, and they average less goals a game than we do. I'd argue they have more issues than we have.
We beat them for sure but if we perform like we are right now against them there'll only be one winner.

We're lacking goals up front & weak at the back.

Players needlessly gifting away scoring opportunities, pedestrian skaters that are getting caught out by younger & faster opponents. No easy fixes.

Devil94

We beat them for sure but if we perform like we are right now against them there'll only be one winner.

We're lacking goals up front & weak at the back.

Players needlessly gifting away scoring opportunities, pedestrian skaters that are getting caught out by younger & faster opponents. No easy fixes.
Why would there only be only one winner? My point was thay they're currently worse than us, that's obvious. They conceded 5 in the first period last night against a big rival. They score less goals than us,they concede more goals than us, and they they have less points than us. Plus, we beat them a few weeks ago.

Mazzoak

Don’t know what people expected to change in 7 days, l did say this was going to be a rollercoaster ride, so buckle up, months ago.
l don’t want to keep repeating the reasons why, but some need to understand something. The club has been hit by no revenue for 18 months, their maybe a simple answer to all this, no money & we can thank Covid & Brexit.
The owner group are successful business men, Canada wasn’t immune to Covid, what their financial standing is today may not be the same as before, assuming of course that they ever intended to pump cash into the club from their personal wealth. Their no fools, their not going to waste money if the risk of return is low. The club is likely to not have the available funds to bring in players, hell thanks to Wales voting for Brexit I very much doubt the numbers of players wanting to come is as high. Media outside of the U.K. paints it as a waste land, I’ve family ringing me weekly wishing they could send food parcels & money, only thanks to Brexit it’s highly likely to get stopped and rejected at the boarders.........this isn’t a joke or bull8it, UK plc is being eroded and countries aren’t bothered, despite what Boris says. Country voted for monkies and they won. That’s not to mention the country is seen as xenophobic & racist, Brexit was seen as being anti foreigner, hell most of the people who voted where, they just didn’t realise the only people willing to wipe their elderly relatives arses would have to leave. Whilst those comments may be seen as of topic, just remember many businesses are struggling to maintain work force numbers, the Devils may have been a victim of these circumstances.
What the club needs is fans to continue going to games, ride out the storm, enjoy as much as possible, lower expectations, forget the past and help move the club forward because I’d rather watch this team this year trying to win than a club that lost everything.......

moggy#9

Don’t know what people expected to change in 7 days, l did say this was going to be a rollercoaster ride, so buckle up, months ago.
l don’t want to keep repeating the reasons why, but some need to understand something. The club has been hit by no revenue for 18 months, their maybe a simple answer to all this, no money & we can thank Covid & Brexit.
The owner group are successful business men, Canada wasn’t immune to Covid, what their financial standing is today may not be the same as before, assuming of course that they ever intended to pump cash into the club from their personal wealth. Their no fools, their not going to waste money if the risk of return is low. The club is likely to not have the available funds to bring in players, hell thanks to Wales voting for Brexit I very much doubt the numbers of players wanting to come is as high. Media outside of the U.K. paints it as a waste land, I’ve family ringing me weekly wishing they could send food parcels & money, only thanks to Brexit it’s highly likely to get stopped and rejected at the boarders.........this isn’t a joke or bull8it, UK plc is being eroded and countries aren’t bothered, despite what Boris says. Country voted for monkies and they won. That’s not to mention the country is seen as xenophobic & racist, Brexit was seen as being anti foreigner, hell most of the people who voted where, they just didn’t realise the only people willing to wipe their elderly relatives arses would have to leave. Whilst those comments may be seen as of topic, just remember many businesses are struggling to maintain work force numbers, the Devils may have been a victim of these circumstances.
What the club needs is fans to continue going to games, ride out the storm, enjoy as much as possible, lower expectations, forget the past and help move the club forward because I’d rather watch this team this year trying to win than a club that lost everything.......
I really can't disagree with any of that.

Hedd Wyn John

Why would there only be only one winner? My point was thay they're currently worse than us, that's obvious. They conceded 5 in the first period last night against a big rival. They score less goals than us,they concede more goals than us, and they they have less points than us. Plus, we beat them a few weeks ago.
Besko is a better goalie than Motte. If we took an entire game to score 1 vs Motte we'll be in a world of difficulty against Belfast unless we massively up our game.

Swarley

Were they targeting him?
I believe so, they've gone after him twice now in two games, they failed to take him out the first time and managed it the second time, I really hope dops fines the coach as well as the player for the hit on Waller because it definitely feels like they're being told to take Waller out.

*I know dops won't do anything against the coach it's wishful thinking*

I didn't watch the game but from the updates I got from twitter and friends at the arena our defence left Kozun out to dry more than once, and with Lou having to sit for a game blaze took full advantage of that fact.

Way too many challenge cups games are dead rubber and I get that it's a way to have hockey games happen but at what cost? We've only just got Mcnally back from injury and Waller was smashed in a game that was as pointless as a political promise.

moggy#9

Isn’t a Devils slump in November as predictable as the sun setting and rising.

Some things change. Some things stay the same.
The thing is, when we usually have a slump it's clearly a slump because prior to that the team have been playing really well. I hesitate to use that term this time because, as many have said, the problems seem more fundamental.

Coach skalde's comments on his interview about lack of work ethic are shocking. To not win because other teams are better is one thing. To not win because the effort isn't there, which seems to be the implication, would I think be unacceptable in most people's book.

Ocko

This would be a great reason…. If the team we had put out was a low budget team. It isn’t. You make it sound like we’ve gone from a top budget team to a low budget team because of the same Brexit and COVID that has affected every other team. The team we have assembled should be strong with the level of player we signed. I would say only Belfast on paper are better and appear to have spent more. The balance and character of the team is wrong to me. We have too many players who are too similar and a few who haven’t produced what was expected.

There is a clear lack of character and work ethic in this team. The coach says it himself. We are boring to watch.

Wannabe2

Mazzoak We would all prefer to watch our club, than a club that lost everything, that’s a no brainer comment and a weird comment, look we all realise we have no divine right to win anything, but 1 goal in 6 home periods and carrying passengers is getting people cheesed off. As for no revenue for 18 months, that don’t wash as every other club has been through that, crowds have been good but forget the money thing this team were performing weeks ago and now we ain’t, and that has to be addressed players go through tough times, but when things get tough then toughness helps to get back on track, we were lousy last night but fans were still chanting McNallys name because he was showing passion. There’s a difference in playing poor, and being not good enough, and unfortunately we seem to have both.

jenks33

They do have just as many issues as us if last nights result is anything to go by. I do think it was a freak result though. They conceded 3 goals in 2 minutes 33 seconds in the first period which is unheard of against Beskorowany. Let’s not forget they beat Nottingham away 5-0 last weekend so it’s not all doom and gloom.

Personally I don’t think goalscoring is going to be an issue for them in the long run. Murphy and Lake are not fully up to speed yet after injuries and I think Boucher, Goodwin, Conway, Piccinich will get plenty of goals between them. I haven’t seen much of the Giants yet but I’m guessing the other end of the ice is the biggest issue. They’ve got a great goalie but they’ve only got two defenceman that are familiar with the the league. Four defenceman on a roster that are new to the league is a lot. I assume they are still having teething problems as a unit.

Devil94

Besko is a better goalie than Motte. If we took an entire game to score 1 vs Motte we'll be in a world of difficulty against Belfast unless we massively up our game.
The same Besko that conceded 5 goals on 11 shots last night? And the same CJ Motte from Coventry, who have conceded the least amount of goals in the league out of anybody? You sure about that?

Anyway, my question wasn't to do with Coventry. It was why, head to head, there's only one winner between Cardiff and Belfast?

Devil94

Personally I don’t think goalscoring is going to be an issue for them in the long run. Murphy and Lake are not fully up to speed yet after injuries and I think Boucher, Goodwin, Conway, Piccinich will get plenty of goals between them. I haven’t seen much of the Giants yet but I’m guessing the other end of the ice is the biggest issue. They’ve got a great goalie but they’ve only got two defenceman that are familiar with the the league. Four defenceman on a roster that are new to the league is a lot. I assume they are still having teething problems as a unit.
On paper though I dont think those players are better than ours. Cox, Sanford, Crandall, Reid, McNally should all put up the same points as them. The problem we have as well as Belfast, as you said, is that these players are new to the league and usually takes until Christmas to find their feet. The same as Ulmer, Benti etc. Add in to that a new coach for us too. That is less of an issue for Sheffield, who have started the strongest.

august04 2.0

Covid may well be an issue in trying to attract players here but blaming it on Brexit?! Come on, get real. Other teams have attracted talented players and on paper, so have we. As Ocko has said, we're not a low budget team - and we started well - but the on ice product has deteriorated this past few weeks. We've got a packed arena, week in, week out with healthy looking bar sales from what I see around me every week. Brexit can be blamed for many things, some rightly so - but not our woes.

jenks33

“I did say this was going to be a rollercoaster ride, so buckle up”

Funnily enough we’re the complete opposite to rollercoasters at the moment Mazzoak. Rollercoasters are exciting, we’re quite a boring team to watch.

Rhyan48

“I did say this was going to be a rollercoaster ride, so buckle up”

Funnily enough we’re the complete opposite to rollercoasters at the moment Mazzoak. Rollercoasters are exciting, we’re quite a boring team to watch.
Couldn’t agree more I have said it for weeks it’s starting to get annoying to watch ! There is something seriously missing with out pointing any players out this is not a good devils team things need changing ,

Mazzoak

The message was one of no more money, l wasn’t saying this is a low budget team, what I’m saying is their may not be the money to change the team & the pool of players wanting to enter the EIHL could be less than before, they may also demand certain conditions. Players sign contracts, it can be expensive to end those contracts. Also getting replacements, there are costs involved. My point being we will probably have a few months or even all season with this team, it’s not done, it could turn around. What we need is revenue to continue and build back to pre Covid financials. It’s been estimated that most businesses will take at least 12- 18 months for that.

august04 2.0

However, there have been a few huge positives.
Waller, for me the best signing we made this season.
Reid, our only natural goal scorer.
Dixon, ageless!
Carruth, our best nteminder since Herlofsky
Waller, an absolute gem who we've allowed to be targeted twice in consecutive weeks. After that hit on him again tonight, we should have made it an all out war, especially with them being so short benched. We have other guys that should have stepped up, it doesn’t have to be down to Louis all the time. But no response, nothing. No physicality (bar a couple of decent hits from Batch) and intensity really until the back end of the third period. That doesn’t sound like a tight team to me, and that is worrying.