New Rumours

jenks33

Thread starter #1
Few rumours on twitter this morning.

- Oleksuk leaving Steelers and Matias Sointu coming in.

- Haddad retiring

Would be a bit gutting to see Sointu in Sheffield. Good signing at this level

rocketbob

The only good thing about the possible replacement of Oleksuk with Sointu is that my Amazon based speaker will not keep going off when watching the Steelers games on Premier Sports. I would love to see Matias icing back with the Devils.

ASHIPP

A quality player the Steelers can afford to sign.... and we couldn't? Was it bad timing or the player wants a guarantee of permenancy for the rest of the season?

jenks33

Thread starter #5
A quality player the Steelers can afford to sign.... and we couldn't? Was it bad timing or the player wants a guarantee of permenancy for the rest of the season?
To be fair to us Sointu’s a winger and I’d like to think our priority would be a Centre if we did look at bringing somebody in.
Still a shame to lose him to Sheffield if he does sign for them. Reminds me a bit of Morissette when he was at his best for us. Goes a bit under the radar but can play on any line and will make that line work.

rocketbob

A quality player the Steelers can afford to sign.... and we couldn't? Was it bad timing or the player wants a guarantee of permanency for the rest of the season?
I am not remotely convinced that the Steelers are sticking with any budget cap looking at their signings however short their contracts may turn out to be. I may be completely wrong but.....

RedDevil17

I am not remotely convinced that the Steelers are sticking with any budget cap looking at their signings however short their contracts may turn out to be. I may be completely wrong but.....
I was thinking the same. Maybe because their owner also happens to be chairman of the EIHL perhaps?…disgraceful

Ocko

Sointu has done little since leaving the Devils and hardly played. I’m not sure he’d be a top earner as he’s been sat at home without a club all summer so I can’t see him smashing the Steelers through the wage cap.

I’m not that fussed about him signing for a rival to be honest. He was quite good when he was with us, but not the standard of Joey Martin, Haddad etc and certainly not the sort of player this team needs.

terry hunt

I am astonished to find i agree with everything Ocko says on this topic.
Sointu was good to watch but i dont think he was really tested in our league.He has been moving around a lot. He doesnt appear to like
staying in one team for long.I am quite happy he has pitched his caravan in Sheffield.He is not the type of player for us.

moggy#9

I thought sointu was an excellent player. If we were building a team from the ground up is certainly take him. The thing is the role he plays is, I think, taken by Sanford - who I've been extremely happy with. I know there's a lot of debate here as to whether we need a defenceman or a centre, but sointu (as good as he is) doesn't fit the bill for us.

On the subject of a new signing, how confident are we that they'll actually be one? Is this just wishful thinking based on what's happened in previous years?

bb1

Sonitu was a very solid player but not a threat if he signed elsewhere in the league. If Joey Martin signed for the Steelers or Giants then i'd say that would be a real blow.

We have looked amazing in games and we have some gritty and speedy players. What we do seem to lack is a little size up top. What we had in previous seasons were big strong forwards who could out muscle d men on the boards and hold the puck up (Haddad for example), however our game is more fast paced with lots of quick puck movement and not as much cycling of the puck around the net etc...

Regardless of this though I would love to see a big strong, hard hitting forward to compliment McNally and cause headaches for opposing teams. We have Louis as our go to enforcer but we really need a Nottingham prime Salters like forward IMO. Someone who can do it all.

Ejercito Rojas

Typical Panthers, they tried to sign the wrong Fournier!
Maybe they deliberately 'cocked it up' at the last minute when they finally realised their mistake.

Wallace and Doucet (Gromit)
starring in
"The Wrong Fournier"