Panthers Vs Devils - League - 17th Oct 2021

E.D.S.

You can say that we are dire.

The rest of what you’ve written is baseless when you take into account the situation, from new coach, new team, Covid all factors that will impact our performance. You are allowed an opinion, of course, also accept that that opinion maybe flawed, incorrect, ridiculous etc. Also as supporters, our observations will be based on unknown factors, we don’t know plans, budgets, strategy etc some writers here come across as if their comments aren’t known by those in the club, almost as if a writer on the Inferno has “spotted” an issue before the club. Take the goalie issue, the comments on here about signing two top netties, what why would a coach with Skalde experience do that, that’s crazy. Well maybe the real crazy is people with zero knowledge outside of their own self imposed bubble commenting on what should be done over a coach with Skaldes resume, that’s the real crazy.......
Thanks for keeping my feet on the ground. I needed that.

Great post. "A baseless opinion"?? You're funny. I like you.

kingmo19.1

You can say that we are dire.

The rest of what you’ve written is baseless when you take into account the situation, from new coach, new team, Covid all factors that will impact our performance. You are allowed an opinion, of course, also accept that that opinion maybe flawed, incorrect, ridiculous etc. Also as supporters, our observations will be based on unknown factors, we don’t know plans, budgets, strategy etc some writers here come across as if their comments aren’t known by those in the club, almost as if a writer on the Inferno has “spotted” an issue before the club. Take the goalie issue, the comments on here about signing two top netties, what why would a coach with Skalde experience do that, that’s crazy. Well maybe the real crazy is people with zero knowledge outside of their own self imposed bubble commenting on what should be done over a coach with Skaldes resume, that’s the real crazy.......
And let’s remember oh great Oracle of Hockey knowledge, just incase you’ve forgotten, your opinion isn’t valued anymore than anyone else’s !!! So stop trying to be The Inferno’s version of Piers Morgan by continually jumping on people !!!

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

The bench roster limit works in a league like the ECHL, when you have movement into and out of that league (AHL etc.). So on any given night, your ECHL match night roster of 19 is complete because of that player movement. And that’s fine. But we've decided on the double whammy of a match night roster limit of 19 and a wage cap. So if teams are not carrying spares (and I don’t even know if that’s allowed this year, with these new rules?), which I would imagine is difficult with a wage cup - then any injuries/suspensions/Covid, will inevitably mean that teams are playing short benched. Two show case teams in the league in us and the Giants, and we're already playing short benched. This will lead to more injuries too. That dilutes the quality of the EIHL offering and cannot be good for our game.
Yep, players will end up icing when fatigued or carrying injuries more than in previous years due to the smaller roster size & that can't be good for player welfare not to mention the quality of the hockey.

Mazzoak

And let’s remember oh great Oracle of Hockey knowledge, just incase you’ve forgotten, your opinion isn’t valued anymore than anyone else’s !!! So stop trying to be The Inferno’s version of Piers Morgan by continually jumping on people !!!
Keep up, I’ve referenced my opinion is no greater than anyone else’s many times. I’ll say it again for those who need it repeating, we are all armchair experts.........

E.D.S.

Think we all need to calm down a tad. Emotions run high after a loss because we care about the Devils but nobody's died. We're, hopefully, all waking up tomorrow and getting on with our lives. If someone wants to come on and say things are rubbish or dire then so be it. Let's face it, we all have a right to an opinion, it's not baseless, pointless, or worse. Unless Skalde is going to come on here and answer every one of our questions then we'll never know but that doesn't and shouldn't stop opinions being expressed. I've done over 250 miles this weekend to watch the Devils and been watching this team since 86. My opinion still isn't any more valid or important than any one else's - so let's all just calm down and agree that we're all right and we're all geniuses.... except Wannabe... nobody can be that optimistic all of the time. It's not normal. Joke! Deep breaths people, deep breaths.

EDS great read and hope the journey back was ok. Completely agree with physicality and definitely we are missing McNally in that regard, but we need more of his type. I definitely think we are getting pushed around out there. Wayne Gretzky himself said that he couldn’t play to his standard unless he had his enforcers with him making big hits and keeping the pressure off him.

mjh

Fair point about additional fatigue and injury risk. With all teams having to face this, perhaps an improved youth system around the UK would allow for call ups such as the young lad from Barry etc. Clearly that's not going to be an immediate option but perhaps long term a system allowing for call ups could be a good thing for sustainable Brit pipeline and maintaining a level playing field for competition.

E.D.S.

Oh and last thing before I turn in for the night....... for those bemoaning our match night experience still... the NIC (arguably one of the finest rinks in terms of facilities and location to watch UK hockey) uses the song 'if you're happy and you know it clap your hands' to get the fans going. Worse still, it's played on an organ! Awful!! But they gain marks for playing "hit me with your best shot". Always makes me think of the BBC Wales coverage. The good old days.

osh

Too many excuses being made to cover up obvious cracks / flaws in our team at the moment. Many stating tiredness etc, no way, it’s no different to every year especially when we compete in the CHL. Also, we have had more time to gel than other teams having to compete in the CHL early. Skalde is our coach and we must play to his plans. Do we like what we see, well that’s open to debate as witnessed after every game. Personally, I believe we are prone to too many defensive lapses that when players have a look at post match videos they will be embarrasse for sure. Are we physical enough ? In my opinion no, but we have to go with what we’ve got. We have skill for sure but I don’t like the system being employed and we will suffer many similar losses if we play like we did last night.

Kevlar68

I think the players we have are very good players, energy levels will definitely be less after so many games in a short period of time and training on top, that's a fact but you change your game accordingly.
There is something not quite right though and can't figure that out.
One game we look like the top club we know we can be and the next game like we've just got out of bed.
It's a long way to go yet but you'd want it sorted by end November now out of CHL, after November could be to late.

Last edited:

Pembo

I think the players we have are very good players, energy levels will definitely be less after so many games in a short period of time and training on top, that's a fact but you change your game accordingly.
There is something not quite right though and can't figure that out.
One game we look like the top club we know we can be and the next game like we've just got out of bed.
It's a long way to go yet but you'd want it sorted by end November now out of CHL, after November could be to late.
4 hour trip back last night, car consensus was 3rd period really emphasised we’re missing that McNally character to galvanise the team with some aggression. Duggs being out I think also strips us of a bit of extra motivation on the forecheck. I’ve been really impressed in several games by the pressure he puts on opp D-men these days, we’ve got a couple of goals from this before his injury. I think we’re playing Storm at perfect time next weekend. Our boys can rest & heal and meanwhile Storm have a killer schedule after the humiliation against Fife. We’ve still got teething problems but there’s a good 5 teams that can strip each other of points in the league. I think roster restrictions have somewhat evened the playing field even if they have hurt us a bit. See you Sunday!

hip check

Too many excuses being made to cover up obvious cracks / flaws in our team at the moment. Many stating tiredness etc, no way, it’s no different to every year especially when we compete in the CHL. Also, we have had more time to gel than other teams having to compete in the CHL early. Skalde is our coach and we must play to his plans. Do we like what we see, well that’s open to debate as witnessed after every game. Personally, I believe we are prone to too many defensive lapses that when players have a look at post match videos they will be embarrasse for sure. Are we physical enough ? In my opinion no, but we have to go with what we’ve got. We have skill for sure but I don’t like the system being employed and we will suffer many similar losses if we play like we did last night.
Imo we have got some flaws in the team atm (defensive lapses) but they can be rectified, tireness certainly is a factor after a lot of games plus traveling our guys would be feeling the fatigue for sure, skill? I certainly think so also plenty of speed, are we physical? absolutely, who would want a check off Batch, Louis, Dixon, McNally or even Duggan?
We absolutely will lose more games as will all other teams, there's lots of new players in the league this season and some settling in to be done by players from all teams.
I'm enjoying my hockey atm and am quite willing to give players the time to address any weaknesses.

Last edited:

Gospel

Concerns for me are our defensive turnovers, not just last night but every game. We've been lucky not to have been punished that much due to Mac bailing us out but its an issue. The style of play is run and gun with the D pushing on but if the forwards cant hold the puck up the D men are then out of place creating more pressure on the whole team and, as has been said before somewhere, we are just skating from zone to zone. Its like a pre-season fitness drill.

We dont have that big body in front of net and thats a big loss i think. Myers will be massively missed this season i feel.

The team clearly has toughness but it doesnt seem to be utilised at all but then with restricted rosters why would anyone want to risk getting injured and possibly out for weeks. Only person thats really reacted in Mac and im sure hes just itching to get into something haha

Also, it might not be having any impact, but Sklade still has his Court case against the Penguins going on in the US and that cant be an easy thing to deal with.