Storm v Devils

James

Administrator
Are 'friendlies' covered by DoPS? I seem to remember in previous years they weren't as they are not EIHL games as such I'd have thought Sheffield would have seen some DoPS action before the Sunday game if so.

Kevlar68

McNally is a players player who will stand by his team mates and be there for them. We've had them throughout the Devils history.

Ian Cooper
Nicky Chinn
Frank Evans
Mike MacWilliams
Brad Voth
Andrew Hotham
Mark Louis

These players are and were a huge part of the Devils.

Players like these are agitators, intimidating, they can change a game by just being there as lesser players on the opposition will avoid them and not commit 100% for a puck.
McNally isn't just a tough guy, he can play.
We've always had a stand up guy and McNally is now that guy.
Yes the game has moved on from full on enforcers but there is no way you can have a team without a player like McNally, he's made his mark, he will get under players skin and players will avoid being near him which will lead to their game plan having to change.
I welcome McNally's style of play and think the Devils will be better for it.

JC23

Has anyone seen any highlights yet? Or was anyone actually at the game.

Was it actually a bad check? Or was it a case of a marginal call that the EIHL is becoming all too known for?

jenks33

McNally is a players player who will stand by his team mates and be there for them. We've had them throughout the Devils history.

Ian Cooper
Nicky Chinn
Frank Evans
Mike MacWilliams
Brad Voth
Andrew Hotham
Mark Louis

Players like these are agitators, intimidating, they can change a game by just being there as lesser players on the opposition will avoid them and not commit 100% for a puck.
Yes the game has moved on from full on enforcers but there is no way you can have a team without a player like McNally, he's made his mark, he will get under players skin and players will avoid being near him which will lead to their game plan having to change.
I’m not sure you’ve added anything new to what people have already said tho.

- Yes we need an agitator.
- Yes Mcnally is a good player.

I think everybody agrees with that. I also think the best agitators are smart in that role. Are they going to pick up the odd one or two game suspensions and a few slaps on the wrist? Of course. What i don’t want is Mcnally picking up a 10 match suspension because he’s getting involved with the bloody crowd!

Kevlar68

I wasn't adding anything new to other peoples opinions, i was showing that McNally isn't a rare species of Devils player, we've had them before from 1986, from WNIR to BBT to IAW and they've been great for our team. No one was worried for Chinn, no one worried for MacWilliam, no one was worried about Hotham, they were loved for their play and what they stood for, the team.
The team is bigger than any one player, suspensions we've had before of crucial players and still gone on to win the next game without them.
A real lengthy ban i agree we do not need especially from a player with abilities such as McNally but i'm not worried about him, so we just have to wait and see what happens with this incident first.

bozman

Ian Cooper
Nicky Chinn
Frank Evans
Mike MacWilliams
Brad Voth
Andrew Hotham
Mark Louis

I would add Faryna to that list

jenks33

I wasn't adding anything new to other peoples opinions, i was showing that McNally isn't a rare species of Devils player, we've had them before from 1986, from WNIR to BBT to IAW and they've been great for our team. No one was worried for Chinn, no one worried for MacWilliam, no one was worried about Hotham, they were loved for their play and what they stood for, the team.
The team is bigger than any one player, suspensions we've had before of crucial players and still gone on to win the next game without them.
A real lengthy ban i agree we do not need especially from a player with abilities such as McNally but i'm not worried about him, so we just have to wait and see what happens with this incident first.
Fair enough. The whole point of my concerns tho is DOPS. It’s not as if I don’t find McNally’s actions entertaining, you just can’t away with it these days unfortunately. That’s why there’s no point comparing him to what Macwilliam and Chinn used to bring. You could get away with murder back in the 90’s. And although Hotham had a nasty streak I’m not sure he was the team agitator.
I just think it’s a slippery slope when he’s getting himself involved in that nonsense in a pre season game in Manchester. It’s Pre season!
Huge weekend coming up and we might be missing him. And as I said yesterday we’ve only got 19 players this year, we can’t afford to be missing guys for 15 matches due to suspension. Wouldn’t have been as much of an issue when we had 21/22 on the roster

moggy#9

Fair enough. The whole point of my concerns tho is DOPS. It’s not as if I don’t find McNally’s actions entertaining, you just can’t away with it these days unfortunately. That’s why there’s no point comparing him to what Macwilliam and Chinn used to bring. You could get away with murder back in the 90’s. And although Hotham had a nasty streak I’m not sure he was the team agitator.
I just think it’s a slippery slope when he’s getting himself involved in that nonsense in a pre season game in Manchester. It’s Pre season!
Huge weekend coming up and we might be missing him. And as I said yesterday we’ve only got 19 players this year, we can’t afford to be missing guys for 15 matches due to suspension. Wouldn’t have been as much of an issue when we had 21/22 on the roster
The thing with dops is that you don't want a player getting on their watch list. Of course, discipline starts with consistent officiating. But that's an old chestnut that there's probably little pony in getting into here. The situation at lusanne shows that it's not just a problem with our officials though.

august04 2.0

Precisely why we need to sign a 14th import, and fairly quickly - particularly with the rule change on suspensions this year. Otherwise we could find ourselves playing short more than we'd like.

Gough60

"It’s Pre season!
Huge weekend coming up and we might be missing him. "

Wow 1st weekend and already a HUGE weekend. Flames is a CC game, that even if we finish last in our group we STILL have the chance to qualify for next round. Steeler's will be a big game but any game against them is. Long season ahead. There will be weekends that are going to be HUGE.

dave

Has anyone seen any highlights yet? Or was anyone actually at the game.

Was it actually a bad check? Or was it a case of a marginal call that the EIHL is becoming all too known for?
. Watching the webcast the start of the check was just on the edge of the screen but the follow through of the check was off the main camera as it was panning the other way. So it will be down to any further cameras they have to have caught it plus the officials report.

jenks33

"It’s Pre season!
Huge weekend coming up and we might be missing him. "

Wow 1st weekend and already a HUGE weekend. Flames is a CC game, that even if we finish last in our group we STILL have the chance to qualify for next round. Steeler's will be a big game but any game against them is. Long season ahead. There will be weekends that are going to be HUGE.
You don’t think our first meeting against the Steelers is a big game? Ok huge might be a bit of an exaggeration for a match in September but that’s very pedantic Ffil06. And yes it is a huge weekend compared to Manchester away in a pre season match!