2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

Mazzoak

Where has that rumour come from?
It doesn’t look anywhere near high enough for me.
Teams advertise for imports at £1000 a week.
£8000 cap wouldn’t allow £500 a week per player!
Various numbers across forums. Have to say l agree £8000 is low, the ECHL also, having said that if the club provide extras, like accommodation with bills sorted, vehicles and fuel, living expenses, education courses and expenses etc etc. The salary than becomes less unattractive.....

jenks33

Thread starter #623
The other rumour is that Skalde's son will be on the books so perhaps he'll be the 20th Player (not sure he's playing CHL mind?)
Certainly appears that he’s going to be on the books and will be number 98. Will be interesting to see how good he is and whether he’s coming for weeks, months or for the season.

Finny

Its more plausible than the current explanation.
It really isn’t.

There are several very valid reasons why Haddad wouldn’t want to come back to the U.K. under current Covid rules. This is not the place to speculate which of those reasons would be relevant but I’m surprised you’ve not worked it out seeing as you’ve spent so much time coming up with an alternative theory that to be honest is madness.

Mazzoak

It really isn’t.

There are several very valid reasons why Haddad wouldn’t want to come back to the U.K. under current Covid rules. This is not the place to speculate which of those reasons would be relevant but I’m surprised you’ve not worked it out seeing as you’ve spent so much time coming up with an alternative theory that to be honest is madness.
No your not getting away that easy, enlighten me as to these Covid reasons Haddad wouldn’t return to the U.K.

Wannabe2

Various numbers across forums. Have to say l agree £8000 is low, the ECHL also, having said that if the club provide extras, like accommodation with bills sorted, vehicles and fuel, living expenses, education courses and expenses etc etc. The salary than becomes less unattractive.....
But accommodation, vehicles, education etc are supplied over here, so it’s back to unattractive again.

Mazzoak

But accommodation, vehicles, education etc are supplied over here, so it’s back to unattractive again.
Maybe l should have written all clubs. It’s dependent on costs in locations, some places are more expensive too live, l feel l shouldn’t need to point these issues out.........
The quality of ECHL is reflected in the salary cap, it is minor league after all, compare Barry Town FC to Manchester United, exaggerated slightly, you get the point.......

august04 2.0

We'll be playing with 2 less import skaters than every other team, which is strange to think when the team on paper looks strong.
I really don’t think that matters much nowadays. Players like Richardson and O'Connor are better than many import D men that I’ve seen play over here. Securing the futures of 6 top Brits, with the addition this year of young talent like Waller, along with the new signings of Davies and O'Connor will stand us in good stead for future seasons too (if we can keep them all and we have a good record of doing that).

Finny

There are a few though, my personal choice is Kelman didnt want him back.
Hang on a moment....

Your initial posts on this subject were suggesting that Lord was offering Haddad more money. Because that’s what the ECHL budgets allow (they don’t)
Then you suggested it was because Haddad wanted more money.
Then you suggested it was because Kelman and Todd had fallen out.
Now you’re suggesting Kelman never wanted Haddad back

So to summarise, you think that Todd and Lord fell out, Todd decided he didn’t want our top goal scorer back and so managed to get out of the contract by convincing Lord (who he had apparently fallen out with) to offer Haddad more money (which the ECHL salary cap would struggle to allow).

That’s quite the conspiracy theory.

Or, alternatively,
Haddad and his wife might not want to travel halfway across the world back to Plague Island where cases and deaths are increasing, to join a new coach and mostly new players, knowing there is a chance the league could be abandoned mid-season again and they might struggle to get back into their home country.

august04 2.0

Hang on a O
Your initial posts on this subject were suggesting that Lord was offering Haddad more money. Because that’s what the ECHL budgets allow (they don’t)

So to summarise, you think that Todd and Lord fell out, Todd decided he didn’t want our top goal scorer back and so managed to get out of the contract by convincing Lord (who he had apparently fallen out with) to offer Haddad more money (which the ECHL salary cap would struggle to allow).

Or, alternatively,
Haddad and his wife might not want to travel halfway across the world back to Plague Island where cases and deaths are increasing, to join a new coach and mostly new players, knowing there is a chance the league could be abandoned mid-season again and they might struggle to get back into their home country.
Haven‘t foreign nationals always been able to fly home throughout the pandemic? I can’t see that being the reason not to sign over here, especially with flight availability increasing. That’s the same for all N. American imports too, hasn’t stopped them.

august04 2.0

Whatever the reason, it must have kept our recruitment team on their toes with possibly our most important re-signing pulling out of an agreement 5 weeks before the season starts. All worked out though and I’m sure helped trim the wage bill.

Finny

Haven‘t foreign nationals always been able to fly home throughout the pandemic? I can’t see that being the reason not to sign over here, especially with flight availability increasing. That’s the same for all N. American imports too, hasn’t stopped them.
I think so, but I think they have to quarantine for 2 weeks first when they arrive. Flight availability is increasing again but nobody knows yet what this winter will bring.

I also don’t know how often wives /girlfriends fly back home during the season. Previously it would only be an issue of cost. Now it would be two weeks quarantine when they got back home and potentially two weeks when they come back.

I’m guessing there are a lot of imports who have been put off coming to the EIHL this season due to Covid uncertainty. And I certainly don’t blame them.
I’m a Cardiff City season ticket holder but still haven’t decided whether I’ll go to tomorrow’s game.

Mazzoak

Hang on a moment....

Or, alternatively,
”There are a few” are words l wrote........

So Haddad has taken a significant drop in wages to remain in a country with significantly larger risks in infections and could potentially stop mid season.......yeah that flies.

Mazzoak

I'm confused. Didn't Mr king say that he was lined up to return until a few weeks ago? That doesn't sound like Todd not wanting him back. If that were the case surely it would have clear front the start of team building.
The NHL recently told players if they got vaccinated restrictions would be loosened, according to Golden Knights Robin Lerner, the NHL lied, forcing players to get vaccinated.

This covers two issues......

Finny

”There are a few” are words l wrote........

So Haddad has taken a significant drop in wages to remain in a country with significantly larger risks in infections and could potentially stop mid season.......yeah that flies.
We don’t know what wages he would have been on here’s or what he will be on there. I doubt it would be that significant a drop though.
But the ECHL did run last season and if anything goes wrong he or his wife can get home easier from the US than if they were in the U.K.

I’d be more likely to believe your version of events if it didn’t change with every post.