The future of the Elite League and its teams

Ocko

Or cheaper imports.
Well this is essentially it.

If we can’t have full capacity crowds it might level the playing field out. I mean Dundee and Manchester have been getting 1k fans in 2.5k facilities for years and they can make it work. I don’t think the league should stop because teams like us and the other top teams cant flash the chequebook at relative top level players.

Devil94

Excellent news regarding the CHL. And the correct decision, would have been a travesty if it was awarded to the mini series winners.
Makes the cheaper imports route a bit redundant now though, we cant be going to Europe with a weaker team than previous years.

If the Devils have accepted the CHL spot for the 21/22 season I would suspect that extra WAG funding
has likely been secured to allow the Devils to compete on an equal footing with the English EIHL teams who have
I believe as reported already accepted a combination of grants and loans to the value of up to £2.3m to ensure they get through the 21/22 season.
If the Devils can secure a similar pro rata amount this could be a game changer as it would negate the reliance on a capacity IAW to make the mode work!
Fingers crossed for the Scottish teams and Belfast too if this is indeed the case.
Hoping for some really positive news in this area!

Wannabe2

I thought we had been offered £200,000 in a grant from the Welsh sports whatever, and so had Scotland and Ireland unless I dreamt it. The English money doesnt say how much is a grant, and how much is a loan which wouldn’t really help. Only time will tell in the end, fingers crossed we will all be fine need our sport back. Stay Safe All.

We will need a hell of a lot more than £200k to get through a season with no fans and put a competitive team on the ice!
The fab4 English teams will have £2.3m between them.
As for saying that a loan doesn’t help is quite simply not the case, it all depends on the interest charged and repayment terms of the loan.
I would guess these loans are of similar terms to the government backed Business Bounce Back Loans that the high street banks have been offering to businesses this last 12 months.

Wannabe2

Sorry worded it wrong, I thought we had £200,000 grant in compensation for our shortened season, as for season 21/22 I think it’s business as usual as if that goes ahead we need no grants, if it don’t go ahead as normal then I can’t see anything happening at all. But we live in hope.

matbur

Thread starter #370
Yeah, worth bearing in mind that the £2.3m going into the English teams is a combination of grants and loans. The teams will be carrying these loan liabilities forward into a very uncertain climate.

Devil94

Mark Drakeford today states that we (in Wales) will probably still be social distancing for the whole of 2021. Well that’s not good news for the IAW ?
If we do in Wales then they will be in England too. You won't have full arenas in England and not here.
It's going to be somewhere in the middle I think. The idea Boris has put in to their minds of June 21st that everything is back to normal is wrong. That's less than 3 months away, to go from where we are now to nothing in that period of time is not realistic.
There will be some restrictions in all 4 countries for the rest of the calendar year, such as social distancing in some scenarios, but hopefully indoor events can have a vaccination proof or testing system which allows hockey to go ahead.

Kevlar68

Mark Drakeford today states that we (in Wales) will probably still be social distancing for the whole of 2021. Well that’s not good news for the IAW ?
There's social Distancing? You wouldn't believe there was if you see what I see on a daily basis.

Also Rock of Ages musical I was going to see in Aug has been canceled until May 2022.

Last edited:

moggy#9

There's social Distancing? You wouldn't believe there was if you see what I see on a daily basis.

Also Rock of Ages musical I was going to see in Aug has been canceled until May 2022.
This is the problem with drakeford and co. They seem to be obsessed with things that make little difference and don't properly enforce the things that do. Mind you, it's not like UK gov is doing any better.