If we get a season 21/22

Devil94

What he said was encouraging, but nothing more than that.

As Earnie said, its 100% capacity or nothing for the Elite League. The wording for stage 4, which is June 21st, is
"remove all legal limits on social contact, allowing people to meet indoors, allowing nightclubs and theatres allowed to reopen."

I think these metrics along with concerts and theatres are more applicable for us that sport stadiums.

That is earlier than I anticipated, and I think does give hope that we could start on time. It will of course require the other 3 countries coming to a similar conclusion.

kingmo19.1

I think your assuming 100% attendance for an Elite League squad per the past few seasons, ie 13-14 imports.

I can see that figure being dramatically reduced to get a season going if we’re not going to run at full capacity.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #65
Obviously it’s all still in the hands of the gods, but we seem to be going in the right direction hopefully. There’s still a marathon to go, everyone knows that, but the way things are going as long as we don’t try to run before we can walk, and giving that we could start Sept/Oct`/Nov that’s 7-9 months down the line, it’s not too rash to think we could hopefully have a 21/22 season, and what a tonic that would be. Yes it’s still pie in the sky, but maybe, just maybe that pie is getting bigger, we live in hope. Myself if it does happen I can see us still putting out a very strong team, the compensation given to us and the Scots/Irish is a great help in offsetting some of our last seasons losses, I can still see 13/14 imports and the product being roughly the same, although that’s only my opinion, so fingers and everything else crossed let’s all hope for the best, in the meantime Stay Safe All.

Ocko

It doesn’t really have to be 100% attendance for the EIHL. Most teams are usually around the 60% mark with their crowds and I think the vast majority could operate within those constraints.
It still means crowds of 2000 for us, 6000 Sheffield, 4500 Belfast and Nottingham, Coventry 1900, Dundee and Manchester 1300, Glasgow and Fife 2300 and Guildford 1200.

If we could get to the 60% mark it is doable as those attendances are about the norm for most teams anyway. There may have to be some cut backs but I think the EIHL will do everything they can, even going to 50% capacity because I think they know that 2 seasons in the wilderness would probably be the end of the league.

pjj365

It doesn’t really have to be 100% attendance for the EIHL. Most teams are usually around the 60% mark with their crowds and I think the vast majority could operate within those constraints.
It still means crowds of 2000 for us, 6000 Sheffield, 4500 Belfast and Nottingham, Coventry 1900, Dundee and Manchester 1300, Glasgow and Fife 2300 and Guildford 1200.

If we could get to the 60% mark it is doable as those attendances are about the norm for most teams anyway. There may have to be some cut backs but I think the EIHL will do everything they can, even going to 50% capacity because I think they know that 2 seasons in the wilderness would probably be the end of the league.
The announcement was to allow the lower of 25% of seating capacity or 10k and that's without Drakeford's interference
Given, I suspect, "new money" from walk ups is pretty critical even 50% would be us on a knife edge with ST at 50% ish

pjj365

The announcement was to allow the lower of 25% of seating capacity or 10k and that's without Drakeford's interference
Given, I suspect, "new money" from walk ups is pretty critical even 50% would be us on a knife edge with ST at 50% ish
OK seeing more detail it looks like we would be caught by the smaller indoor arena limits of the lower of 1k or 50%
I'm now officially confused

Wannabe2

Thread starter #69
These figures are for the near future, come later on in the year if things keep improving then hopefully better news will be forth coming, and just maybe that news will be workable for all. As I have said another 7-9 months down the road anything is possible, yes it’s certainly at the moment still up in the air, but we live in hope. Stay Safe All.

Kevlar68

See for me i really want to see my hockey but when it happens it happens and when it does i'll be happy with it.
I'd prefer just one day a announcement that hockey will begin again for definite than dates being thrown around then postponed and put off till a later date.
Being built up with a date then to be let down is the worst thing for me so i'd prefer a longer wait and a definite start and that start would be for a full capacity IAW with a new roster, new coach and new exciting times in this next chapter of the Devils story.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I think your assuming 100% attendance for an Elite League squad per the past few seasons, ie 13-14 imports.

I can see that figure being dramatically reduced to get a season going if we’re not going to run at full capacity.
So, let's assume for a moment that we had an "elite league" season with a substantially reduced number of imports. Where do all of the additional Brits come from? We'd rapidly end up with there being a cost premium on the best Brits as there was in the days of the Coopers, and the big clubs hovering then all up. Right away we'd be back to teams icing 2 lines and lop-sided scorelines. The reason we have the set up we do is to promote a certain level of parity in the league and to avoid adding artificial barriers to teams.

Kevlar68

The thing is with sport these days sponsorship is a big deal, that initial input from sponsors before a season starts plays a huge part in the finances of a club. At the moment we have nothing to sponsor.

When we were on the up the past few seasons it would have been much easier and more appealing to sponsor the Devils with more coverage, Freesport, CHL, so more people would see the sponsors names.
The problem for the marketing team now is how do they sell something that isn't there? You can't sell a team on 5 definite return players.

The next problem is companies will be looking at their finances and is sponsorship a cost they can afford when many are struggling during these times.

There are so many factors that will dictate how the season will look that i doubt anyone has any definite plans at the moment.

pjj365

The thing is with sport these days sponsorship is a big deal, that initial input from sponsors before a season starts plays a huge part in the finances of a club. At the moment we have nothing to sponsor.

When we were on the up the past few seasons it would have been much easier and more appealing to sponsor the Devils with more coverage, Freesport, CHL, so more people would see the sponsors names.
The problem for the marketing team now is how do they sell something that isn't there? You can't sell a team on 5 definite return players.

The next problem is companies will be looking at their finances and is sponsorship a cost they can afford when many are struggling during these times.

There are so many factors that will dictate how the season will look that i doubt anyone has any definite plans at the moment.
I would have agreed with you about sponsors but given Todd (I assume) has managed to get a sponsor (B.fresh) for the webcast I think we'll be fine
Might not be much of the shirt to see though!

moggy#9

I would have agreed with you about sponsors but given Todd (I assume) has managed to get a sponsor (B.fresh) for the webcast I think we'll be fine
Might not be much of the shirt to see though!
Didn't Todd say that many of the sponsors had already committed to coming back when hockey returns? As far as a new major sponsor goes, I suspect that there'll be some clever structuring of the deal. Don't forget that there's also the arena sponsorship to throw into the mix.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #76
Due to the fact our Todd is a workaholic, and due to the fact he has had 12 months to think about and work on what’s needed for when we return, I don’t think there’s a lot to worry about when it comes to sponsorship, returnees, and anything else that needs attention. We have the best in the league so if we have problems, god help the other outfits. As for returning players well he will already know the answer to that one, and probably have other irons in that fire. As for slashing import levels not sure about the advantages in that, there not a huge amount of good brits out there for every team, good brits will cost you and if their not local will need accomodation so only saving visa costs and air fares, so for me it’s a no brainer, especially if it means a drop in the quality of the product. Also if we can keep our Uni places that’s a huge lure for some good players, then Chuck into the mix having the best owners in the league who love winning and are totally committed as well as being fans, and for me I don’t see an aweful lot wrong. We just need a safe environment now, and then I believe everything else will fall into place, most people I have talked to like me have left their season ticket money with the club, as we are all in this together, and in these hard times even those who couldn’t will more than likely do their bit to help THEIR club when we can get started. Stay Safe All.

kingmo19.1

So, let's assume for a moment that we had an "elite league" season with a substantially reduced number of imports. Where do all of the additional Brits come from? We'd rapidly end up with there being a cost premium on the best Brits as there was in the days of the Coopers, and the big clubs hovering then all up. Right away we'd be back to teams icing 2 lines and lop-sided scorelines. The reason we have the set up we do is to promote a certain level of parity in the league and to avoid adding artificial barriers to teams.
6 imports, returning 5 brits plus 5-6 new from NIHL/abroad. There are a lot out there. It wouldn’t be 4 lines obviously.

Don’t forget, if Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottnm and Belfast can afford a large number of imports but Dundee, Manchester and Fife can only afford a small number then for an equal league to commence it has to be parity across the board!

SteveKing

Some encouraging news for sure this week. Seems like a good time to share some of our thoughts and activities and also ask for some feedback:

First of all on Devils players playing elsewhere. I liken this to when my three kids left the home and went off to school and work. They were very excited to do it and see what it was like, but after a while they figured out that they had it pretty good and there’s no place like home. Too early to say for certain but we’re getting good feedback from the players we’d love to come back. With a coach new to our league, I think it’s a huge thing to have a solid group of returning players that will show the new guys the ropes.

Secondly, we’ve started having bi-weekly Zoom calls with Coach Skalde and talking about potential new players. Recruiting was always one of Lordo’s strengths and that was due to sheer hard work and relentlessly cross-checking references on players. Jarrod brings A different dimension in that he seems to know absolutely everyone in hockey and they all seem to love him. The depth of knowledge and contacts within the AHL, ECHL and the agent universe is staggering so it’s been very fun to have him take us through various players that he’s starting to talk to about coming over in the fall (knock on wood).

Finally I want to assure all of you that not only are we going to be OK and look to bring back the same caliber of hockey that you’ve become accustomed to, I believe that the other clubs are in good positions as well. Fans across the league have been incredible in their support but none more so than our Red Army. We truly are on the wings of an army and that support will never be taken for granted or forgotten.

so keep taking those vaccines and following the rules because we’re all starting to get really excited about the season starting to gain visibility.

Sorry for the long post but I figured you’d appreciate an update from our side.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #79
That post was exactly what I expected to hear, thank you Steve my confidence and belief in where we are together has just been totally confirmed. We have two teams in our beautiful club, the one on the ice that consists of players, coach, and bench staff, and the other team that consists of owners and fans, and to me both of them are league leaders. So here’s a question for our fans what does it mean to you to hear those words from our great owners, the times we are all going thru are testing to say the least, we are frustrated, cheesed off, depressed, and generally in a not great place, we need some good news,some uplifting comments to raise our spirits and to keep our chins up. And to me we just got that, we will return at some time to our second home, when it’s safe for us all to do just that, and by Christ I can’t wait. Again thank you Steve, we all needed to hear those heartwarming words. Stay Safe All.

pjj365

What does Steve's post mean to me - it means a lot
It's always good to have your suspicions and faith confirmed
And, Wannabe2,you are right it does raise spirits and it is heartwarming